Katana-Celestion G12M Greenback Speaker Change - Kat 50

Started by abeetude, August 06, 2017, 10:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abeetude

Earlier this year (March) I was in the market for an amp, not for gigging only a bedroom player  ;D

I had the Fender Mustang V2 40W for about 2 weeks. Was never really happy with it and returned it. I then tried the Marshall Code 50 which was returned within 2 days. At that point in time our local store owner suggested The Kat 50. After un-boxing and almost immediately I found a sound i liked. I liked the simplicity - not too many lights and not a 108 different voicing options from the control panel.

Since April been lurking around this forum for info and tips on the product, to which i found many and i am thankful to everyone sharing their experiences. It has been 5 months or so with my Kat 50 and enjoy the product as i did the day i 1st got it.

I read, learned and experienced the K50 being harsh / overly bright. At times it did not matter but my interest was growing strong wanting to hear it through another cab / speaker. It was not possible. I bought a Celestion G12M Greenback. At first i tried it in a standalone cabinet (Over size / empty) i recently acquired - an open back. It sounded like the amp has been LIBERATED and FREE to be what it was designed to do... Let me contain myself as i am only a bedroom player and no expert by any means however my ears don't lie.  8) It is awesome! I have a few pedals in front of the amp i.e. MXR Compressor, Blues Driver as a boost for The Big Muff ------ Open this amp up on clean, it needs volume for the Muff to come alive....With this speaker it is fantastic!

Today i thought let me fit it to the Kat50's cabinet - Attached the photos, it fits with no issues. Kindly take note that fitting this speaker and i am pretty sure with any speaker upgrade keeping it in the Kat50's form factor will be a loss as the cabinet / housing does nothing complimentary for the speaker upgrade. It was more alive in the oversize stand alone cabinet. My observation only and i appreciate anyone's opinion on the matter as our ears are all different!  ;)

During this time I also had time to compare / play with a Laney-Cub-12R (15W Tube)Head through the Celestion G12M Greenback. I kept going back to the Kat50. I found great tones at all volumes on the Kat. Sadly the Laney is the only Tube amp i could compare it with - Anyone have a Kat & Blackstar HT STUDIO20H or a Blackstar HT-5RH? Would be nice to compare as i am looking at one of these as well. Anyone?

At the time of my purchase i was unaware of the Katana Head - If I could turn back the hands of time..........I would be getting the Head  8) only because of the foot control, the effects loop and speaker options!  :P

Thats me!  ;D

Guuz7

I don't understand, this speaker is 25 watt in a 50 watt amp!?

admin

Quote from: Guuz7 on August 10, 2017, 08:09:19 AM

The stock katana 50 speaker is 50 watt

But its common to install 25 watt Celestion Greenbacks in 50 watt amps - but they do tend to blow if you crank them on "10" for 2 hours

abeetude

Quote from: Guuz7 on August 10, 2017, 08:09:19 AM

I play the K50 on the 25W setting and that is where it stays... As stated, I am a bedroom player... 25W is extremely loud in a confined space and plenty of power for my needs....

Stevie F

Quote from: abeetude on August 06, 2017, 10:34:35 AM
Earlier this year (March) I was in the market for an amp, not for gigging only a bedroom player  ;D

I had the Fender Mustang V2 40W for about 2 weeks. Was never really happy with it and returned it. I then tried the Marshall Code 50 which was returned within 2 days. At that point in time our local store owner suggested The Kat 50. After un-boxing and almost immediately I found a sound i liked. I liked the simplicity - not too many lights and not a 108 different voicing options from the control panel.

Since April been lurking around this forum for info and tips on the product, to which i found many and i am thankful to everyone sharing their experiences. It has been 5 months or so with my Kat 50 and enjoy the product as i did the day i 1st got it.

I read, learned and experienced the K50 being harsh / overly bright. At times it did not matter but my interest was growing strong wanting to hear it through another cab / speaker. It was not possible. I bought a Celestion G12M Greenback. At first i tried it in a standalone cabinet (Over size / empty) i recently acquired - an open back. It sounded like the amp has been LIBERATED and FREE to be what it was designed to do... Let me contain myself as i am only a bedroom player and no expert by any means however my ears don't lie.  8) It is awesome! I have a few pedals in front of the amp i.e. MXR Compressor, Blues Driver as a boost for The Big Muff ------ Open this amp up on clean, it needs volume for the Muff to come alive....With this speaker it is fantastic!

Today i thought let me fit it to the Kat50's cabinet - Attached the photos, it fits with no issues. Kindly take note that fitting this speaker and i am pretty sure with any speaker upgrade keeping it in the Kat50's form factor will be a loss as the cabinet / housing does nothing complimentary for the speaker upgrade. It was more alive in the oversize stand alone cabinet. My observation only and i appreciate anyone's opinion on the matter as our ears are all different!  ;)

During this time I also had time to compare / play with a Laney-Cub-12R (15W Tube)Head through the Celestion G12M Greenback. I kept going back to the Kat50. I found great tones at all volumes on the Kat. Sadly the Laney is the only Tube amp i could compare it with - Anyone have a Kat & Blackstar HT STUDIO20H or a Blackstar HT-5RH? Would be nice to compare as i am looking at one of these as well. Anyone?

At the time of my purchase i was unaware of the Katana Head - If I could turn back the hands of time..........I would be getting the Head  8) only because of the foot control, the effects loop and speaker options!  :P

Thats me!  ;D

Thats ok the Katana speaker covers a  more fuller range than the green back as it is also used for the acoustic chanel, ,although the celestion is a fantastic speaker it doesnt give you a pure sound, it is voiced different( british rock really )leaning towards the plexi sound but it will be better in a larger cabinet. Hope you have a big bedroom lol

admin

CAUTION - If ANY Speaker (+) wire or (-) wire touch each other - or Chassis ground while powered ON -  - you fry the Katana Power amp

( BTW - this is true for ANY Solid State Power Amp, and many Tube Power Amps too.