Greetings from Gator Country!

Started by mrz80, July 31, 2017, 10:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrz80

Yknow, I really thought I'd signed up to this forum ages ago, but guess not...

Anyhow, I'm one of those Bible-thumping born-agains your Sociology professor probably warned you about.  ;D  I play primarily P&W stuff at church on Sundays, and am looking to expand my tonal palette (our keyboard player lives 200 miles away and only comes about once a month).  I currently play through a GT-8, into a stereo amp, and out a pair of homebrew 4x8" cabs, with a DI fed off a summed feed from the headphone jack.  I'm weighing various options for adding more keyboard-type pads, strings, and funky lead noises, and am here to harvest the collective wisdom, primarily about cool things to do with the GT-8 and maybe adding a GR-33 or GP-10 (both of which can be had for money I can actually afford  :P ).
Jesus freak, guitarist, luthier, bicyclist, ham (WA4UF)...
Turning every scrap of wood in the garage into Les Pauls, Telecasters, and 12 strings

carlb

Regarding the 'thumping,' you're able to laugh at yourself a bit, so 'AOK' in my book.

The GP-10 and GT-1 have sonically progressed so far beyond the GT-8 that you simply must check them out. I've owned/gigged the GT-8, GT-10, VG-99, GR-55, and now the GP-10.

If you're not interested in the acoustic modeling and alt-tuning of the GP-10 (requires a hex-pickup guitar setup), the GT-1 can't be beat within your price range. You'll need to get an expression pedal, and live with the limited on-board foot switches, but it will be so worth it. It has stereo out, so you won't be giving that up.

If you are interested in having the option to do instrument modeling and/or alt-tunings at some point, get the GP-10. There's a group buy price available (welcome! you're qualified for it!) or some great deals on new or used GP-10s if you look around a bit.

I'd really start from either of the above two options. In the meantime, do dig around the GT sub-forums for old GT-8 bits of wisdom. I remember there being an outboard box that everyone wanted to get to make the GT-8 sound quality better, but that was pretty much obviated by the GT-10. Great patch examples to be had too ...

ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Hurricane

;D

Greetins  mrz80 :

I'm from Southern Cal :

Takes all kinds of people to make the world go round so ,
welcome fellow freak your in good company here .

We're All Bozo's On This Buss , heh heh heh .

Funny your mentioning the GR33 and  GP -10 . I have a GR33
and love it .

8)
My guitar & vocal FX processor is a T.C. Helicon Voice Live 3 X
this unit ( when it's working properly - see my other posts ) does
unreal stuff for your vocal that makes it a portable studio for
state of the art vocal FX/enhancements . It's guitar FX are very
good too . Killer looper too I might add .

::)
I was thinking on whether to get a GP - 10 . They do sound great
or another guitar FX type floor based processor . The recent post
about GP - 10 acoustic guitar nylon presets posted here are truly
rock solid sounding compared to any others I have heard so far IMHO .

EZ :

HR