False notes triggered with GK-3 and Yamaha G50?

Started by trackbetter, May 19, 2017, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackbetter

I am using a GK-3 used with Yamaha G50.  I really like the unit but I'm having trouble with false triggers when playing chords.  It tracks really well on single note riffs when I'm using polyphonic mode.  But when I play chords at a medium speed, like in a typical rhythm guitar part, 15% of the time I'm getting annoying "false notes".  It seems to be worse when I play chords that land on the same fret as where a "natural harmonic" occurs.

It's at its worse when I'm shifting chords every 2 beats or so as I mute/unmute the chord as you naturally do with your left hand between chord shifts (if you're a right handed guitar player:

Here are things I've already tried:

- Playing insanely cleanly
- Meticulous tuning of the guitar using a Snark high-res tuner
- Stuffing a piece of felt under the first fret to mute the strings
- Adjusting the input sensitivity on the G50 as low as possible so it takes a lot of picking force to trigger a note
- Raising the Note On cutoff for the patch so again, it's harder to trigger a note

Nothing seems to work.  I know I can edit the false notes out in the editing software, but I'm getting so many right now that recording a song would be just too tiresome, having to clean all that up.  Just a little extra info, the bad notes most of the time are higher than the notes I'm actually playing.

Is there a way to clean things up quite a bit?  Or is this just the nature of the beast?

If it's the nature of the beast, are there newer rigs that are way better?  My belief is that the combination of a handful of notes (chords) as they are muted/unmuted during chord shifts is more than the rig can interpret properly, without misinterpreting the note pitch of at least one of sounds that occur during chord transitions.  However, I don't know if this is a GK-3 issue where it is generating false notes, or a Yamaha G50 issue where it is misinterpreting the pitch of certain notes. 

BBach

Try recording at a slower tempo. Try recording each chord separetly so that no glitches are caused by changing chords. Try only using three or four note  chords which are easier to change without glitching as you would when playing barre chords.

drtim

Yamaha G50 (since 1997) Boss GP-10 (since Sep 2016)
Ibanez Musician MC500 + Yamaha G1-D
Godin LGXSA
Yamaha Pacifica 112 + Roland GK2A

gumtown

try damping your strings with an elastic hair tie, or using flat wound strings.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/