RC 300 & SY 300 midi sync

Started by Anzhe, May 15, 2017, 07:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anzhe

Hi,

I connected RC 300 to SY 300 via MIDI OUT/IN and it works fine. Exmaple: patch nr. 3 on rc 300 is calling patch nr. 3 on sy 300. What I want is patch n3 on looper caliing patch number (let's say) 14. How can I do that?

chrish

If you go to the Sy  300 manual under MIDI you want to look at two things. One is called map select, and the other is called midi program change map or P.Map.

The map select switch is either set to 'fix' or 'prog, and according to the manual the "setting determines whether patches are switched according to the program change map settings or to the default settings."

Then you want to set up your program change map. Here is where you set the Bank number and the patch number.

Again from the manual:

"when switching patches using program change messages transmitted by an external midi device you can freely set the correspondence between program change messages received by the sy300 and the patches to be switched to in the program change map."

The program change map can be set up either in tone Studio on your computer;

or on the sy300 Itself by pressing the menu button and selecting 'system' then select 'MIDI" and then select  'program map' and the program change map is right there.

All you have to do is match the incoming program change number  or PC#, which is on the lookers left side of the screen, to whichever patch you want to be selected on the sy300, which is on the right side of the screen.

Anzhe

Thanks for your answer. I have it like this:

If I understand right, patch nr99 would have to call patch nr4? What is the difference between Bank 0 and Band 1 at the top?

Anzhe

This isn't working in my case, is there anything else to setup on my RC 300? Patch #99 should call U44 but it still calls patch 99.

EDIT SOLUTION: you have to go to MENU -> SYSTEM -> MIDI -> MIDI SETTINGS ->under 2nd tab MAP SELECT should be set on PROG. Than it works.

chrish

Quote from: Anzhe on May 16, 2017, 12:46:39 AM
This isn't working in my case, is there anything else to setup on my RC 300? Patch #99 should call U44 but it still calls patch 99.

EDIT SOLUTION: you have to go to MENU -> SYSTEM -> MIDI -> MIDI SETTINGS ->under 2nd tab MAP SELECT should be set on PROG. Than it works.
correct , if you don't set that switch correctly the sy300 will use its default program map as opposed to user program map as stated in my post above.

Quote;The map select switch is either set to 'fix' or 'prog, and according to the manual the "setting determines whether patches are switched according to the program change map settings or to the default settings."

Muddy souls

Hi Anzhe

I also have an SY-300 and am seriously looking at purchasing an RC-300.

I was wondering how they synch together when it comes triggering sequencers and say LFO rates on the Sy-300... Do they synch well with the RC-300.

According to the specs this would be no problem but according to advice I received from Roland support, ' RC300 doesn't play nicely when it comes to clocking other devices to it and you can't clock the RC300 to other devices. It is mostly designed for synchronising to other RC units.'

Can you share your experiences with syncing?

Many thanks
Muddy

admin

Quote from: Muddy souls on May 10, 2019, 03:12:07 PM
Hi Anzhe

I also have an SY-300 and am seriously looking at purchasing an RC-300.

I was wondering how they synch together when it comes triggering sequencers and say LFO rates on the Sy-300... Do they synch well with the RC-300.

According to the specs this would be no problem but according to advice I received from Roland support, ' RC300 doesn't play nicely when it comes to clocking other devices to it and you can't clock the RC300 to other devices. It is mostly designed for synchronising to other RC units.'

Can you share your experiences with syncing?

Many thanks
Muddy

Make RC-300 the MIDI Clock Master, and SY-300 the MIDI Clock Slave

the older RC-300 does not work as well when its the MIDI Clock Slave

Muddy souls

Thanks for the reply...

If that's the case, and they are synched ( set up correctly) can I assume if I trigger the 'seq on' ( sy-300) at the start of an Rc -300 loop then it will synch to the loop time?

Thanks again