GK on 7 string Ibanez SR7VIISC - Need help

Started by loopman, February 07, 2020, 07:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loopman

I recently bought this instrument : Ibanez SR7VIISC it is a 30 inch short scale bass with 11 mm strings spacing, it's an hybrid guitar/bass
which Roland GK model should I use? the GK3 or the GK3B? or is it impossible to use the GK with this instrument?

Let me know, it's important for me
Thanks

loopman

No ideas?

admin

loopman

Ok, so I have an idea : what happens if I use the GK (maybe the GK3 in this case= 11 mm string spacing) with only the last 6 strings? for me it's ok to use 6 over 7 total strings, it doesn't matter
this instrument  has a regular guitar tuning E-A-D-G-B-E- apart from the lower string which is the Low B, so I'd use the GK only with the 6 guitar strings leaving off the Low B
maybe I'd specify the GK PU position as described on page 8 of the manual

I don't know, it's just an idea, of course.. the fact is that I'd love to find a GK solution for this instrument

admin

Quote from: loopman on February 07, 2020, 12:48:10 PM
Ok, so I have an idea : what happens if I use the GK (maybe the GK3 in this case= 11 mm string spacing) with only the last 6 strings? for me it's ok to use 6 over 7 total strings, it doesn't matter
this instrument  has a regular guitar tuning E-A-D-G-B-E- apart from the lower string which is the Low B, so I'd use the GK only with the 6 guitar strings leaving off the Low B
maybe I'd specify the GK PU position as described on page 8 of the manual

I don't know, it's just an idea, of course.. the fact is that I'd love to find a GK solution for this instrument

Study the Mag Hex PU dimensions here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=41
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=41

Could mount a GK-3 to cover Bass Strings within  the typical Fender Bass Frequency range  = Low E =   41.2Hz

Any Lower the connected GK Processor may not function as expected

Not necessary, but some  modify the GK-3 when used on a Bass Processor it to remove the GK Pin #9 connection  = Control Voltage which informs the connected GK Processor ( SY-1000) which  GK PU Type (Bass or Guitar) is connected

GK-3's unique Pin 9 functionality explained
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5259.0

loopman

If I understand correctly, I could mount the GK-3 (and not the GK3-B) and cover the E-A-D-G-B-E strings excluding the Low B, right?
the GK3 because my instrument has a 11mm string spacing and is a short scale too

Ok,
also if I want to use the GK3 with the Bass Mode in the SY-1000 I'd have to modify the GK-3 by removing the pin #9 connection, I guess. But with this mod do the GK-3 will work in both modes ? I mean guitar and bass modes

maybe this modification would be useless becuase I decide to use the SR7VII only in guitar mode, for me it's ok

admin

Quote from: loopman on February 07, 2020, 04:08:26 PM
If I understand correctly, I could mount the GK-3 (and not the GK3-B) and cover the E-A-D-G-B-E strings excluding the Low B, right?
the GK3 because my instrument has a 11mm string spacing and is a short scale too

Ok,
also if I want to use the GK3 with the Bass Mode in the SY-1000 I'd have to modify the GK-3 by removing the pin #9 connection, I guess. But with this mod do the GK-3 will work in both modes ? I mean guitar and bass modes

maybe this modification would be useless becuase I decide to use the SR7VII only in guitar mode, for me it's ok

Remove Pin 9 it will still work in either Guitar or Bass mode

Matteo Barducci

--

---> Matteo Barducci

loopman

do you mean this instrument?
ok, believe me it was very very difficult, a real odyssey to be able to find it, years of hard and constant research have passed and by now I have lost all hope, it was a Limited Edition 2009. But finally my tenacity and patience have been rewarded and I found it! It is the most best sounding instrument that I've never owned, in absolute, no comparison in everyway with all my other instruments
Well, I found it in a music store in Turkey, in 100% new condition as shipped from the Ibanez factory, mint and sealed in the case. Amazing! I still don't believe it can be true
It seems to me that other music stores in Turkey have one, check it and be patient

loopman

Quote from: admin on February 07, 2020, 04:33:34 PM
Remove Pin 9 it will still work in either Guitar or Bass mode

Hello Steve, this is a great news for me
there is a tutorial that explains how to remove the Pin 9 ?

Thank you so much

gumbo

There are a number of ways that could be accomplished, depending upon whether the (guitar) GK installation is "External" or "Internal"...
....and importantly what Synth unit you intend it connect it to...

Another (reversible) way would be to buy a 13-pin extension cable and delete pin 9 from the male end....then just include that extension cable in the mix as and when you want to ....     ...also enables you to continue using a 'standard' 13-pin cable at all times, both now and in the future.

I haven't (yet) built a 13-pin Synth-Linx Jack with a disconnectable pin 9, but you've got me thinking....   ;)

HTH
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

mos6507

Quote from: loopman on February 08, 2020, 03:24:13 AM
ok, believe me it was very very difficult, a real odyssey to be able to find it

Not to belittle your quest but what is it that motivated it?  I don't know of any other 30-inch scales that boast a low B, mind you, but beyond that the SRC6 seems like it's much the same instrument and in ready supply.  I've been tempted to get the SRC6 for a very long time because it seems to be the most precision-engineered bass VI but it doesn't have a whammy and seems to have a flat active style tone rather than the spaghetti western twang.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

loopman

I was motivated by the fact that years ago I already owned this fantastic hybrid instrument and then I had to sell it for lack of time and patience. Over the years, however, I realized I had made a mistake because the sound it had was magnificent, I felt the lack of it for years, as well as the possibilities it offers are nowhere to be found in any other instrument. It's difficult to explain the way you can play it ...
Having said that, I assure you that it is completely different from the SRC6, which I also had, let's talk about two different instruments:
on the SR7VII the low B is so powerful that it vibrates the walls of my room and is deeper than my 5 string bass Low B. Then there are the pickups: 2 Duncan vs 2 EMG, I personally prefer the Hi-Fi but smooth sound of the 2 Duncan PU compared to the spaghetti western twang . They are different, believe me

loopman

Quote from: gumbo on February 08, 2020, 05:04:09 AM
There are a number of ways that could be accomplished, depending upon whether the (guitar) GK installation is "External" or "Internal"...
....and importantly what Synth unit you intend it connect it to...

Another (reversible) way would be to buy a 13-pin extension cable and delete pin 9 from the male end....then just include that extension cable in the mix as and when you want to ....     ...also enables you to continue using a 'standard' 13-pin cable at all times, both now and in the future.

I haven't (yet) built a 13-pin Synth-Linx Jack with a disconnectable pin 9, but you've got me thinking....   ;)

HTH
Peter

Hello Peter, can I PM you?

Thanks

gumbo

Quote from: loopman on February 08, 2020, 07:41:52 AM
Hello Peter, can I PM you?

Thanks

...certainly can, although it may be about 3-4 days before I can reply as am about to leap on a plane in a few hours..
...happy to talk about it all in more detail as soon as time and brain cells are available..   ;)

Kind regards,
Peter

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...