GR55 - Assignments, CCs and PCs

Started by flyingb, April 11, 2017, 12:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyingb

I think this is worth "re-upping" even if it's been discussed in the past.

Once decided that the 200 ms blackout changing patches is too much for several reasons, I realized with your help that using assignments within the same patch is the way to go.

Once I have built a patch containing everything I need (effects, mods, PCMs, COSMs, tap tempo for delay and timed fx, gain switch for simulated amp, alternate tuning and so on) I can assign switches to the controls I have: CTL, expression pedal, expression switch...

What I know is that having "more CTL pedals" would be nice. A midi controller with (say) 4 switches could trigger 4 parameters and I could get rid of patch changes in 90% of cases.

Questions:

1) is that a CC or a PC that is needed to switch things? I don't need to change bank/patch. Just tapping the tempo, activate a PCM or going to "lead"...
2) is there on the market such a simple controller with those 4 switches (or 2, or 3, or 5) that has a small footprint, cheap enough, that can be used for that and does not cost me a kidney? I see that they are quite expensive for the function they are expected to have. Is that so complicated to implement?

Thank you.
Cris.

FreeTime

MIDI CC (Control Change) switches things off and on (0..63=off  64..127=on) and does things like Volume (0=off 127=Max) in the form of a continuous controller.

https://www.midi.org/articles/about-midi-part-3-midi-messages

While the price of a kidney varies by market, a FCB1010 with an UNO chip can be had for around $100 used, the drawback is its huge (some people cut off one of the pedals to make it smaller). Consider that something small might be tough to use on the floor in the dark. That said it wouldn't be hard to use a 4 button amp footswitch with an arduino to do exactly what you want. You can use MIDI-OX to sniff MIDI traffic and custom program each switch accordingly.

flyingb

"While the price of a kidney varies by market..."

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Arduino could be the answer.
I had an FCB1010, nice pedalboard, but to wide and I wouldn't cut it.

:)

sixeight

QuoteQuestions:

1) is that a CC or a PC that is needed to switch things? I don't need to change bank/patch. Just tapping the tempo, activate a PCM or going to "lead"...
2) is there on the market such a simple controller with those 4 switches (or 2, or 3, or 5) that has a small footprint, cheap enough, that can be used for that and does not cost me a kidney? I see that they are quite expensive for the function they are expected to have. Is that so complicated to implement?

With cc messages you have to use the 8 assignment slots to make changes. If you want more, you will have to use sysex messages. Then you can change almost every parameter on the GR-55. But it does make things very complicated.

The VController can do it all, but it is rather complicated. See https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15154.0 for details.

admin

QuoteI had an FCB1010, nice pedalboard, but to wide and I wouldn't cut it.

But Perhaps "Cutting It" is the solution?

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=32.msg57898#msg57898

-----

Midi Foot Controller Behringer FCB1010 (size reduced / Modded (Russian)
http://gasclub.livejournal.com/1167.html

(Google Translation)
Once I needed a MIDI foot controller and I bought Behringer. With two expression pedals, with the possibility pereprogramirovaniya firmware, and most importantly cheap! What more is needed?) But he bastard was heavy and huge (
And it has been decided to zamodit bit: to saw - thus reduce the disadvantages :) The demand was that he could get into the rack frame and make it more fun. Here's what I got :)

That such nyashka. Pokras figovenko and holes are not very nice to get the back side ... but oh well ...
Devyatikontaktny gash in, what would one wire to transmit MIDI, switching between the two switches and phantom power. The bottom panel of the PCB did - it lighter than the original steel. Still plans to sign the buttons and inputs.

And here fotochka to compare how much I sawed off.

The most important thing now to buy and put UNO Chip with steeper firmware.

---