Katana -Boss Katana firmware update wish list - Submit your Ideas.

Started by Elantric, March 11, 2017, 11:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

(l-r) Thomas Nordegg (Steve Vai)
Steve Conrad (Elantric)
Yoshi Ikegami ( Roland/ Boss)

Boss Katana Amp firmware update wish list - Submit your Ideas.

Sent this to Roland / Boss today

------

Boss Katana firmware update wish list (March 2017)

1 ) Add Control Assignments in Boss Tone Studio – these can allow ability to assign a user defined FX parameter Target for EV-5 Expression pedal and the three FX knobs: (Booster/Mod, Delay/FX, Reverb)

2 ) Permit user to store three distinct sets of deep FX parameters, one for each color (Green ,Red, Yellow) with unique FX Parameter settings.
At present, FX Parameter targets for the FX knobs default to a common setting regardless of the current "color" selected" and does not allowing user defined FX settings for each available effects memory selected (three available: Green, Red, or Yellow)

3 ) If the "Reverb" FX knob could have a mode to instead become a duplicate of "Delay / FX" or subset of the Delay / MOD / FX

4 ) Can the External FX Loop become separated from the AMP Block, and allow additional signal chain order options than just the current three.
Perhaps External FX Loop placed last after the Reverb. Or add a fourth chain configuration where all FX including Reverb could be pre –amplifier Block.

5 ) External FX loop status to be "Global or Patch" - Allow the on/off state and the Send / Return levels to be unique for each patch: (CH1, CH2, CH3, CH4)

6 ) SIGNAL CHAIN (CHAIN1,CHAIN2,CHAIN3) status to be "Global or Patch" - Allow the Signal Chain to be unique for each patch: (CH1, CH2, CH3, CH4)

7 ) Add the ability to turn off speaker simulation for the Line Out signal so users can use their own cabinet simulator.

8 ) Support more than four presets (CH1, CH2, CH3, CH4) , even if these can only be selected via MIDI, MIDI over USB

9) Release Complete Boss Katana MIDI Implementation

10 )
The three expression pedals I'd like MIDI CC# Transmission or use as CTRL Assignment Sources

1 expression pedal jack on rear of the amp

2 more via a the GA-FC

Three EV-5 pedals as sources

And Eight Control Assignments for Katana FX control.
These are separate from the existing three way FX button switches on the amp.

The three FX foot switches on GA-FC can be used as CTRL Sources

Give me 8 CTL Assignment slots that can function like the 8 CTRLs in GP-10 for FX assignments with 8 MIDI CC# controllers or morph between 2 effects from one expression pedal

Elantric

Katana  -Boss Katana firmware update wish list - Submit your Ideas. 

Elantric

Katana  -Boss Katana firmware update wish list - Submit your Ideas. 

vtgearhead

Ok, I'll go first.  In no particular order:

• Add ability to assign panel knob to user's choice of deep DSP effect parameters (boost/mod/delay, etc.)
  • Permit user to store distinct sets of deep parameters for colors other than the one that's active at preset recall. At present, settings saved for the default are effective for both of the other colors.
  • Release complete MIDI spec
  • Support more than four presets.  It's ok with me if these can only be selected via MIDI - others may feel differently
  • Support controller assign in a manner similar to other Roland/Boss devices

DGA

Freeing up the reverb slot is the big one for me. I don't use reverb much and usually have some slapback going instead. I'd love to stick the slapback in the reverb spot.

stevesilk51

Really would like each Channel to have a "switchable" effects loop.

At the moment you turn off effects loop in one channel then it is off on all of them

Similarly If you turn Effects Loop on on a channel the its on all of them.

In a nutshell , I want to choose in each channel if its on or off and it remembers the setting.

gustavz

i'm using a looper in the send/return of the amp.
I would like to have a CHAIN4 in the BTS which sets the amp/eq section at last behind the reverb to grab also this effekt with my looper.

Elantric

Sent this to Roland / Boss today

------

Boss Katana firmware update wish list (March 2017)

1 ) Add Control Assignments in Boss Tone Studio – these can allow ability to assign a user defined FX parameter Target for EV-5 Expression pedal and the three FX knobs: (Booster/Mod, Delay/FX, Reverb)

2 ) Permit user to store three distinct sets of deep FX parameters, one for each color (Green ,Red, Yellow) with unique FX Parameter settings.
At present, FX Parameter targets for the FX knobs default to a common setting regardless of the current "color" selected" and does not allowing user defined FX settings for each available effects memory selected (three available: Green, Red, or Yellow)

3 ) If the "Reverb" FX knob could have a mode to instead become a duplicate of "Delay / FX" or subset of the Delay / MOD / FX

4 ) Can the External FX Loop become separated from the AMP Block, and allow additional signal chain order options than just the current three.
Perhaps External FX Loop placed last after the Reverb. Or add a fourth chain configuration where all FX including Reverb could be pre –amplifier Block.

5 ) External FX loop status to be "Global or Patch" - Allow the on/off state and the Send / Return levels to be unique for each patch: (CH1, CH2, CH3, CH4)

6 ) SIGNAL CHAIN (CHAIN1,CHAIN2,CHAIN3) status to be "Global or Patch" - Allow the Signal Chain to be unique for each patch: (CH1, CH2, CH3, CH4)

7 ) Add the ability to turn off speaker simulation for the Line Out signal so users can use their own cabinet simulator.

8 ) Support more than four presets (CH1, CH2, CH3, CH4) , even if these can only be selected via MIDI, MIDI over USB

9) Release Complete Boss Katana MIDI Implementation

vtgearhead

Thanks, Steve!  You have done the entire user community a service by reaching out and engaging with the good folks at Roland. I'm hopeful we'll see some or all of this implemented.

Elantric

I'm told not to expect any new Katana Firmware until fall 2017

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

melodisk

Scenes like the axe fx, scene 1-2-3 on green,yellow,red making that at total of 9 scenes.
or more presets,  :)

Elantric

The three expression pedals I'd like MIDI CC# Transmission or use as CTRL Assignment Sources

1 expression pedal jack on rear of the amp

2 more via a the GA-FC

Three EV-5 pedals as sources

And Eight Control Assignments for Katana FX control.
These are separate from the existing three way FX button switches on the amp.

The three FX foot switches on GA-FC can be used as CTRL Sources

Give me 8 CTL Assignment slots that can function like the 8 CTRLs in GP-10 for FX assignments with 8 MIDI CC# controllers or morph between 2 effects from one expression pedal

October3

I'd like to be able to run 25/50 instead of 50/100, occasionally ie be able to toggle in software

(In the 100watt combo)

gumtown

not sure if a new firmware update should be applied unless someone checks that Boss haven't gone and crippled the recently discovered hidden features.

They might have been saving the hidden features for a future 'free' upgrade should sales start stagnating.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Beanow

Quote from: gumtown on April 08, 2017, 04:45:35 PM
not sure if a new firmware update should be applied unless someone checks that Boss haven't gone and crippled the recently discovered hidden features.

They might have been saving the hidden features for a future 'free' upgrade should sales start stagnating.

Agreed, so make sure you have the current firmware with your backups :]
https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/katana-100/updates_drivers/eaa1f675-cdcc-49f3-ae33-1d8d9466bf91/

admin

John.Doe

For the live environment I'd like to have some sort of global EQ for adjusting all the programmed channels together. This can be handled with EQ pedal but it goes beyond the minimal setup. May be in some mode the panel EQ could work not as absolute but relative control, so 12 o'clock means no-adjustment applied, rolling left/right lowers/rises db of the corresponding EQ band for any channel in this mode, immediately when channel is activated.
Katana 112 : Vox NT15H-G2/V112NT-G2 : BOSS GT-1000 : Boss GT-100 : Boss GT-1 : LP Standard 2008 : Fender Strat MIM : PRS SE 22

RosewellTech

I really like the Katana head that I purchased, but I'm disappointed that I can't use my GT-100's expression pedal to control parameters of various Katana effects via midi. It may be asking too much, but I'd like to see tight integration between the GT-100 and Katana. It would be awesome if I had the ability to manipulate a host of Katana parameters using the GT-100.

Beanow

Quote from: RosewellTech on April 20, 2017, 07:57:18 AM
I really like the Katana head that I purchased, but I'm disappointed that I can't use my GT-100's expression pedal to control parameters of various Katana effects via midi. It may be asking too much, but I'd like to see tight integration between the GT-100 and Katana. It would be awesome if I had the ability to manipulate a host of Katana parameters using the GT-100.

Wouldn't the easy route be 4 cable method and putting the pedal effect on the GT-100?

John.Doe

Quote from: Beanow on April 23, 2017, 06:14:43 AM
Wouldn't the easy route be 4 cable method and putting the pedal effect on the GT-100?
It involves additional AD/DA? Digital link GT <-> Katana would be nice feature.
Katana 112 : Vox NT15H-G2/V112NT-G2 : BOSS GT-1000 : Boss GT-100 : Boss GT-1 : LP Standard 2008 : Fender Strat MIM : PRS SE 22

kneagle

I know this thread is for firmware update wish list, but instead of starting a new thread elsewhere, I have a few thoughts on hardware upgrades. I'm sure any (all) of these would have cost implications, but for a future model I would be willing to pay for:

1. Color blind friendly led's - maybe blue, yellow and red.
2. External speaker jack.
3. Some kind of visual representation for patch names and effects. I like the scribble strip on the Helix, but anything would help. Heck, as long as we're dreaming, maybe an upgrade to the venerable GA-FC that would mirror the display from the amp.
4. Maybe a setting in between .5 and 50 watts on the 100 watt amps.

Having said this, I have to make clear that, in my opinion, the K100 is the most amazing, most groundbreaking amp I have ever had (black face Super and Twin Reverbs, silver face Bandmaster Reverb, Cube 100 (the orange one), Blues deVille). For a first release, I don't think it's hyperbole to put it almost on a level with Leo's early work.

sikejsudjek

I'd ask for more options for boss multifx units to be able to control the katana via midi or usb. The GA FC is fairly limited compared to what could potentially be achieved with control from the multifx units. I would suggest it makes good commercial sense to do this, and is common in av equipment where manufactures know tight integration between products sells more boxes ! Other manufacturers are going to struggle to offer anything to compete.

admin

Quote from: sikejsudjek on May 25, 2017, 01:11:40 AM
I'd ask for more options for boss multifx units to be able to control the katana via midi or usb. The GA FC is fairly limited compared to what could potentially be achieved with control from the multifx units. I would suggest it makes good commercial sense to do this, and is common in av equipment where manufactures know tight integration between products sells more boxes !
Until then, there exists this alternative option that enables  more Katana control via MIDI
Just add FCB-1010 or KMI SoftStep2, or your favorite MIDI floor controller 

PRIMOVA MIDX-20 Dual Roland USB MIDI Converter / Ctrl Interface
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17561.msg125048#msg125048

http://www.primovasound.com/midx_20.html

MIDX-20 owners manual
http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX20_Manual.pdf
MIDX-20 NEW V1.4 Firmware with BOSS Katana MIDI Bridge (+Sneaky Amps).
(Need PC Assistant V1.1 from web page to flash the upgrade, Previous Assistant V1.0 will not flash properly)

MIDX-20 Katana MIDI Bridge document updated:
http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX_20_Katana.pdf

CodeSmart

With upcoming MIDX-20 V2 firmware (free upgrade) you also get all Katana 'new' sneaky effects, Boost and Mod at the same time, Delay and FX at the same time, all accessible using CC# from your foot controller.

MIDX-20 Comparison chart / Feature list
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17561.msg151641#msg151641
Documentation/manuals and a new batch of MIDX-20 units is in production now.

Also in MIDX-20 V2 there's MIDI filtering, virtual channels, dual channel broadcasts, CC expression curve mods, tip-heel inversion, CC/channel translation/duplication, momentary to toggling conversions and more.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!