SY-300 - "String Section"-ish patch for SY-300

Started by Gruuve, January 03, 2017, 04:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gruuve

I'd like to put together a patch on the SY-300 that *sounds remotely like* a string section.  With all it's bells and whistles, I suspect I can get to something reasonably convincing.  I'm wondering if starting with the patch that sounds a bit like a pipe organ (I don't recall the name of that patch, but I remember scrolling through it) would be the easiest path.  Or would it be better to just start from scratch?  Attack needs to be removed (portamento), and moving from note to note should kinda slide (glissendo).  It would be nice for it to sound like bows are changing direction at a high rate (I forget what this is called), which would be ideal to link to a ctrl footswitch to set tempo.

Also, I'd really like to be able to step on the ctrl1 footswitch to hold a chord while I play something else over it. I'm not sure if this is possible, but it's worth pursuing.

The EHX HOG can do all of this in an analog box...I'm hoping the SY-300 can also, so please post up some guidance. 

Note: I'd even settle for a big "synth pad" type of sound that I can step on the ctrl1 footswitch to hold, if nothing else.

Thanks in advance!
Gruuve

Brak(E)man

You can do hold on 1,2 or 3 osc
the problem with strings or pads are
the polyphony. Unless you're using
very basic chords/intervals the SY 300
turns them into more or less mush.
In other words its not very clean sounding
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

chrish

i posted a patch that has one of the osc making a bow sound. Put that osc setting in front of a couple of oscs doing strings and maybe pitchshift one of the string osc -1 oct for a doubling effect like a violin (roland99 has a good violin patch posted) playing with a cello.

Personally i prefer analog and analog model synth sounds that are impressionistic versons of the real instrument or a nature sound. Such as maybe a wind cello or a thunder drum.

classical composers, from the powered wigg days used acoustic instruments to introduce ambience into the music (what was in those snuff boxes).

While we like think ambient music is a modern form of music, invented by recent neo-electronic artists, ambient music history goes way, way 
back to logs and voices.

But i digress. Good luck on creating your sy300 string section.