Katana - Boss Tone Central Katana Amp Patches

Started by Elantric, November 22, 2016, 02:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Elantric

dglobe

Does anyone else find the Boss Tone Central Katana Amp  Patches just horrible?  I find they sound nothing like the description/song they are suppose to sound like. Am I doing something wrong?

Meesha

it depends from a lot of factors usually - depends on guitar/pup used, so it needs a lot of adjustments from the starting form... singlecoil/humb, hot output/vintage low output, bright/dark, mahogany/maple body etc. etc. etc.

there are no any patch that works for everyone on any digital amp/processor.. as well as analog hardware, that needs a lot of adjustments... there are different creators as well, who are doing patches great or worst..

maybe it's time to grow up and learn how to make anything you like to sound great, than write about horrible patches ;)

some of tone central patches are great, if adapted properly with matching guitar and good guitar player... just listen to examples of patches at tone central.

dglobe

"grow up and learn how to make anything you like to sound great, than write about horrible patches"
  Really?? That was a very far question from somebody that is new to this amp. Getting an ignorant comment from people like you just encourages new guitar players to not ask questions. This may be a stupid question to you, but for a lot of people this might be a legit question.  I guess New guitar players aren't welcome on this forum

Way to help a person out!! 

Meesha

no way i wanted to harm newbies, my point was to stop verdict anything untill you have any experience with tone at all...
nothing personal

Beanow

I think Meesha makes a good point, but could have phrased it better.

Using other people's tone presets I've also had bad and sometimes even horrible experiences when using it as-is.
Too loud, too fat, too brittle, etc. This will always be the case because you will have different gear, different playing technique, different tastes.
And the only remedy for it is to learn how to change the settings to get a tone you like.

You need to do this 100% of the time.

So I say, look at other people's presets as reference material. See what they did to make their tone, learn from it and use that knowledge to make your own tones.

Like a lot of the things to learn, there's no shortcuts here. You'll have to put in the time to know what everything does and learn to recognize it. How does gain sound? How does presence sound? What are the differences between amp types? How does pedal distortion sound different from amp distortion? When should I use amp volume vs master volume? How much mid should I have to mix nicely with a band? Do I need a low cut to not compete with the bass player?

It's an endless quest, chasing those awesome tones. Years later you will still be tweaking and testing.

To sum it up for a new player I would say:

• Presets from other people should be treated as a starting point. They always need to be adjusted for your gear, situation and musical taste.
  • When starting out, don't over complicate things. If it sounds good to you, it fits your song and it makes you feel like playing, that's perfect.
  • You will very much benefit from learning about tone. "Tone theory" if you will, is crucial knowledge.

admin