GT-100 - SOLO switch

Started by wkcchampion, November 16, 2016, 05:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkcchampion

Hello everybody,
I have another technical question (actually it's more of a curiosity) about the SOLO switch in the PREAMP module.

Exactly, what does it do?
In general, I hear that it applies a more present and fatter EQ, more gain/compression, and changes the level too (Solo switch level parameter).
Is this change dynamic, according to the Preamp model and/or its settings, or is it fixed?

Thank you all
Marco

Elantric

Its a Gain  / Mid EQ Boost and can be easily heard when you toggle it on / off

Typically the "Solo" function is fixed and in the DSP Modeled preamp, and only control is  "on/off" .

On older models (Boss GT-5, GT-8) , there are "Custom Amps, (included in GT-100) and the user is presented with controls to adjust the "Solo" levels 

wkcchampion

Quote from: Elantric on November 16, 2016, 06:14:05 AM
Its a gain Boost and can be easily heard when you toggle it on / off

Hey,
yes, I use it quite often (been using it since the previous Boss GTs).
Is it just a gain boost? I think it also alters the EQ in order to make the guitar cut through the mix more, i.e. make your solo be heard over the other instruments, as opposed to backing rhythm when the switch is off.

Marco

Elantric

I also hear a Mid boost too

Download the GT-100 Paramteer guide and search on 'SOLO" (They reference it 48 times )

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GT-100_parameter_e02.pdf

Its mentioned on page 4  in the AMP Customize / OD Customize Section
and page 5 OD/DS Controls

SOLO SW is switched on to create the tone to one suitable for solos .
SOLO LEVEL Adjusts the volume level when the SOLO SW is ON .
"+: For soloing
-: For backing

wkcchampion

Agreed... similar to what the "Mid boost" OD/DS gives. Perhaps it's the same... code saving? ;)

poinkero

I use the Solo switch a lot. But with my GT100, i dont hear its effect if I dont change the Solo level to atleast 55.

In my GT10, I can leave it at 50 (default) and clearly hear the difference.

Also, my GT100 seems to have a significantly lower output than my GT10. When I started creating patches for the GT100, I basically approached it like how I got my sounds on the GT10 (meaning preamp and effects levels are the basically same). I actually thought it's much easier to dial in good sounds in the 100, but the output is just significantly lower. I have to set the Output to +4 when I play live while with my GT10 it was always -10 and +4 always was just too loud.

Are you experiencing the same thing on the GT100? Or is there something wrong with mine?

wkcchampion

I usually leave the level at 50 (default) and there is a noticeable volume / gain / mid boost. Both my ears and graphs in Logic detect it.
I always use the GT-100 direct, Line-in / Phones output, in stereo.

I don't play live, however, apart from occasional jams. I usually record my music or tracks for others only. Therefore, I cannot comment any experience about live gigs.

Regarding output, I usually leave it at half-way (noon), unless I'm practicing with headphones, then I have to turn it down to about 15%. It gets pretty loud.