Roland JC-22

Started by Elantric, October 27, 2016, 09:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

https://www.roland.com/global/products/jc-22/

October 27, 2016, Los Angeles, CA — Roland has released the JC-22, the latest model in the long-running Jazz Chorus guitar amplifier series. The JC-22 offers Roland's classic JC clean tone and famous Dimensional Space Chorus effect in a compact amp that's perfect for playing at home. Built to the same standards of sound and durability that the amp series is noted for, the JC-22 makes legendary JC tone more accessible than ever.

Around the world, the Roland JC series is renowned as the benchmark in clean guitar amplification. With the JC-22, home players can now enjoy that authentic tone in a light, compact package. Offering the essential features of the popular JC-40 in an even more scaled-down size, the versatile JC-22 also works well for intimate performances and recording.

Two independent power amps and custom-designed speakers deliver the genuine clean sound of the larger JC amps, while the trademark Dimensional Space Chorus effect fills the room with immersive 3D sound. The amp also includes a great-sounding reverb that operates in true stereo for rich, expansive tone.

The JC-22's clean tone is an ideal platform for all types of stompbox pedals. In addition to a standard mono input, the amp features a front-panel stereo input for connecting stereo effects devices. The JC-22 works great with stereo-capable delay, reverb, and modulation pedals, and it's also perfectly suited for advanced gear that employs amp modeling, multi-effects, and/or synth capabilities.

The JC-22's rear panel is outfitted with lots of connectivity. The effects loop works with mono or stereo devices, and offers selectable serial or parallel operation. Line Out jacks provide a convenient mono or stereo feed to a mixing board or recorder, while the headphones jack is great for quiet practice. Users can also connect optional footswitches to turn the JC-22's chorus and reverb effects on/off while playing.

To learn more about the JC-22 Jazz Chorus Guitar Amplifier, visit www.roland.com/us.

Roland's solid-state stereo staple Jazz Chorus has appeared in a number of new forms recently, including a 40W combo and even a Bluetooth speaker, but the new JC-22 targets home users, marrying the amp's iconic effects with compact proportions.

A stereo 30W combo with two 6.5" speakers, the JC-22 takes its stereo spec seriously, packing the stereo chorus and reverb effects the series is known for, as well as stereo inputs and effects loop.

The amp's trademark cleans are on hand to provide a blank canvas for pedals, while the unit's own effects can be turned on and off by hooking up a footswitch or two.

As well as home use, Roland is bigging up the combo's suitability for small gigs and recording, aided by a pair of line out jacks on the rear.

Iconic JC Clean Tone and Built-In Effects

Around the world, the Roland JC series is renowned as the benchmark in clean guitar amplification. With the JC-22, you can now have that authentic tone in a light, compact package. Two independent power amps and custom-designed speakers deliver the genuine clean sound of the larger JC amps, while the trademark Dimensional Space Chorus effect fills the room with immersive 3D sound. The amp also includes a great-sounding reverb that operates in true stereo for rich, expansive tone.
The Ultimate Home Amp

For playing and practicing at home, there's no better platform than the JC-22. Its classic clean tone is ideal for use with all types of stompbox pedals, and you can even plug in stereo effects devices for wide, inspiring sound. The JC-22 works great with stereo-capable delay, reverb, and modulation pedals, and it's also perfectly suited for advanced gear that employs amp modeling, multi-effects, and/or synth capabilities.
Connect and Control

The JC-22's rear panel is filled with connectivity options. There's an effects loop for patching in mono or stereo effects, and you even have your choice of series or parallel operation. Line Out jacks give you a convenient direct feed to a mixing console or recorder, while plugging into the Headphones jack automatically mutes the onboard speakers for quiet practice sessions with phones. There's also support for optional footswitches, which allow you to turn the JC-22's chorus and reverb effects on/off while playing.

SPECIFICATIONSRated Power Output30 WNominal Input LevelINPUT L/MONO, R jacks: -10 dBu (1 M ohm)
EFFECT RETURN L/MONO, R jacks: -10 dBu (22 k ohms)
EFFECT RETURN L/MONO only: -10 dBu (11 k ohms)Speakers16 cm (6.5 inches) x 2ControlsPOWER switch
BRI (Bright) Switch

VOLUME knob
TREBLE knob
MIDDLE knob
BASS knob
REVERB knob
SPEED knob
DEPTH knob

EFFECT LOOP switchIndicatorPOWERConnectorsINPUT L/MONO, R jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
LINE OUT L/MONO, R jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
PHONES jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
FOOT SWITCH (CHORUS, REVERB) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
EFFECT LOOP SEND jack: 1/4-inch phone type
EFFECT LOOP RETURN L/MONO, R jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
AC IN jackPower Consumption43 WAccessoriesOwner's manual
Power cordOptions (sold separately)Footswitch (BOSS FS-5L, FS-6, FS-7)SIZE AND WEIGHTWidth461 mm
18-3/16 inchesDepth239 mm
9-7/16 inchesHeight338 mm
13-5/16 inchesWeight12 kg
26 lbs 8 oz

https://www.roland.com/global/promos/jc_40_years/

GuitarBuilder

I still regret selling my original JC-120 a while back; if this amp can replicate the tone it's a winner in my book.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

roachone

Looks like a cool little amp!

pasha811

This caught me completely off-guard. It looks great in the ads. It also seems to be a good little companion for any Multi-FX in a loop orin fromt for a Modelling pedal or VG99. I can't wait to have a closer look in shops.  :)

Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Elantric

I own a JC-40  - its just adequate for low / medium volume gigs

this JC-22 with only 15 watts per side and two 6.5" speakers seems more for practice or playing solo at local starbucks only
I could not uses this if I played with a Drummer with a full kit

GuitarBuilder

FWIW - the JC-22 does not have a Distortion control as in the JC-40 and JC-120
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

elnwood

I just bought a Roland-Ready Stratocaster and am looking to buy an amp and guitar processor to go with it.

I'm considering buying a Boss GP-10 and a Roland JC-22. I like the idea of a stereo set up. It doesn't need to be loud, and it's probably better if it's not too loud, as I have young children who like to touch things.

I won't be gigging with it, recording with it, or even jamming with a drummer. It's strictly for home use.

Has anyone here used a Roland JC-22 with a Boss/Roland guitar processor? Does it sound like a good fit for me? Do you have any other amp suggestions?

bosetuno

Hi! I don´t have direct experience with the amp you mention, but I have a Gallien Krueger ML250 from the 90s that is pretty much in the vein of the jazz chorus 22. Stereo, 6.5 inches speakers, but with a 50+50w amp. I use it mainly on holidays since its small and easy to carry. The sound is not nothing to die for (well, actually the preamp part of it is good, and was used in a lot of records from the 80s). One plus of this one over the Jazz chorus 22 is that in case you want to jam with a drummer, you can plug it to a bigger speaker, and you have a reasonably powered amp. The FX loop, is mono, but there is a bridge stereo connection between preamp and power amp where you can plug in stereo using a stereo 6.3 jack.

But back to the Jazz Chorus, I´ve never played an amp with small speaker that I really like its sound (either at home or at rehearsals). But if you dont expect it to sound big, full and round, It may work great in this particular situation. What I find less interesting about the Jazz Chorus 22 (that also apply to the gallien Krueger that I have) is that is not either a "normal" guitar amp, nor a Flat response amp, so you wont have the benefits of a Flat response amp and still not get the feel of a bigger amp. And actually, for the synth sounds you may prefer a Flat response amp over a guitar amp with its congested frecuency response. That said, I think you may consider other options, like a Yamaha THR, Vox Adio Air, Blackstar ID core Beam, boss katana air, etc. And if space is not a problem I suggest this https://www.thomann.de/es/harley_benton_g212a_fr_active_cabinet.htm

On the other hand, most "bedroom" guitar players nowadays are using studio monitors instead of guitar amps. And you dont have to spend too much money on them nowadays. Something like the Presonus Eris series is good enough.

There are plenty of options out there! Hope I was helpfull

Cheers

elnwood

Hi bosetuno,

Thank you for your comments. They were very helpful.

One of the issues is that in the country I live in (Cambodia), amplification options are limited, and amplifiers are generally too big and heavy to get shipped here.

There's a Roland dealer, but the options are limited, especially the larger amps. They have the JC-22, but no JC-40 or JC-120. They have the Roland CUBE Street, but not the CUBE Street EX. They have Boss Katana-50 and Katana-100 MKII. Other stores have lot of Peavey amps.

The CUBE Street EX seems to be highly rated on this forum, and only weighs 16 lbs., 6 oz. Maybe I can bring one of those back with me on the plane from the U.S.

elnwood

Quote from: bosetuno on May 12, 2022, 01:22:44 AMOn the other hand, most "bedroom" guitar players nowadays are using studio monitors instead of guitar amps. And you dont have to spend too much money on them nowadays. Something like the Presonus Eris series is good enough.

There are plenty of options out there! Hope I was helpfull

Cheers

Hi Bosetuno,

I wanted to follow up and let you know that I ended up getting studio speakers, as I don't plan to ever gig. I was able to get a good deal on a pair of Yamaha HS8s.

They sound amazing. The Roland JC-120 setting with stereo chorus sounds great, and I can get a greater stereo spread than I could get with an actual Roland JC.

Thanks for your help!

aliensporebomb

Just adding anecdotally: I've gigged live with my Mackie Studio monitors. They work great for this purpose with great fidelity.  They're not really designed to be gigged but I've done it anyway.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

bosetuno

Quote from: elnwood on December 26, 2022, 08:00:05 PMHi Bosetuno,

I wanted to follow up and let you know that I ended up getting studio speakers, as I don't plan to ever gig. I was able to get a good deal on a pair of Yamaha HS8s.

They sound amazing. The Roland JC-120 setting with stereo chorus sounds great, and I can get a greater stereo spread than I could get with an actual Roland JC.

Thanks for your help!

Glad I helped you. I had the hs8 for quite some time. Very good sounding speakers, and loud enough for acoustic gigs in case you need it