GK3 on Composite Acoustics Cargo Acoustic Guitar

Started by stublito, September 16, 2016, 02:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stublito

First impressions, it's a great combination. The guitar is all carbon fiber, 3/4 length "travel" guitar. I have the black one. I'm using it with the GP 10. I'm betting the carbon fiber is much better for this purpose than a wood guitar.

I used some foam double sided tape to mount the GK pickup right next to the bridge, a little closer than recommended (#1 string is only 10 mm from bridge.) However MIDI tracking is very good, velocity is a tiny bit low with the bronze strings, easily remedied in my DAW.

Of course now I can do the Les Pauls/Strats and the synthy pads layered with the acoustic sound, but the real treat is the improved sound of the acoustic sims. On my solid body Steinberger, they dynamics are wrong, but on the acoustic they are perfect. Plus the raw pickup sound mixed with the Cargo's LR Baggs piezo is to die for.

I have bronze strings on it now. I'm going to try steel strings at some point.

Anyway, if you are in the market for a compact super versatile guitar setup, I'd recommend the CA Cargo and the GP 10.

Stublito

Elantric

stublito

Yes. Here's a photo, though the control piece is kinda ugly just sitting there.

At some point I'd like to put the electronics on a custom plastic plate in the sound hole - just like the Godin design. The issues would be drilling a hole in carbon fiber (eeeeek) to route the cable (I'd solder the wires to the bottom of the hex pup like the GK Kit) and figuring out how to get at the LR Baggs electronics to tap in to that signal (Use a dummy plug to switch the jack power).

Stublito

sixeight

QuoteI have bronze strings on it now. I'm going to try steel strings at some point.

I have a similar guitar: a Crafter TMVS. I find (Phosphor) bronze strings give the best results for the acoustic sound. But I use a plain steel G-string so I can do some proper bending on that string. For me it's an optimal compromise...

Majiken

Hey Stublito, did you ever do that GK-3 mod? I have a Journey travel guitar that looks similar, my GK-3 mount is just like yours but of course now I can't play it in the rain.... wondering where you drilled/would drill the wiring hole in the CF?

The Journey is a nice travel guitar, but the pickup system isn't good at more than room volume. It's 3 contact piezos, passive, like K&Ks.
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

stublito

I have abandoned the GK3, too much stuff - the cable, the control unit, GP10 (and power supply - ugh).

I'm computer based so  just bought a Fishman TP, its wireless, no floor box, gona try and hide the control unit in the guitar.

Have become less enthusiastic about drilling carbon fiber tho.

S