Ibanez rg420gk replacing stock humbuckers.

Started by roachone, August 20, 2016, 02:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roachone

I hope this is in the correct area. I just purchased an Ibanez RG420GK and I want to replace the stock pickups with some Dimarzio Evolutions (have purchased those too) Taking a look at everthing, and it appears the Dimarzio's are a taller pickup than the V7 and V8 pickups. I'm pretty sure its time for the dremel tool. I can handle that, but if I'm missing something that can I can do different please tell me. My biggest problem is the wiring. Looks like the Ibanez and the Dimarzio's have the same color and number of wires. Do I just solder everything just like the factory pups are? The reason I ask is because a friend says the wiring may look the same color but they are different...??? Thanks guys for any help.

Elantric

lespauled

As stated above, the colors are the same, but could be used for different things.  Check the chart above.  You should be fine with the different height, but if it's a problem and the pickups are not sitting in a holder, you might have to trim the screw so that it brings the pickup lower into the body.  No routing necessary

roachone

Thanks guys! As far as pickup height, the problem is that on a rg420 they are direct mount. They don't use pickup rings. The stock pups are shorter thus the Dimarzio's are to tall (strings hitting pickup). Guess I'll dremel the pickup holes deeper. I see no other way to do that.