Steinberger Synapse GK Kit install

Started by stublito, July 04, 2016, 04:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stublito

This is my regular scale Steinberger Synapse GK kit install. The regular scale Synapse an excellent candidate for the GK pickup, phenolic fingerboard, killer sustain, and the string spacing is standard (not like my Hohner Steinberger, which is much narrower.)

I just subbed the synth volume for the tone control, no switches. Photos in my Google drive to save forum space ha ha:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-dQDYUpXp7vLWl1V1JUOEJ3R0k&usp=sharing

The guitar's top is arched so I made a layered mount. I bought the Shapeways Humbucker GK mount, but it was too thin. I eventually used just the portion directly under the hex pup to bolt the pup to. I had some leftover plastic spacers from a regular GK pickup and cut pieces from the thicker spacers for the ends and thinner ones for the middle and double sided taped everything together, using the excellent GK mounting tape. I may have to screw it to the guitar, we'll see.

There is room for the GK pickup cable to go in the pickup hole, I cut some of the pickup's cable sheath and snugged it up to the GK pickup so the rainbow wires do not show.

The cavity of the Synapse is the perfect depth for the circuit board. Originally I had intended to mount the synth-linx (thank you Peter!) jack where the 1/4 jack is located, but it was too tight a fit, so I just cut a hole in the electronics cover. The regular Roland cable is slightly in the way, but I'm going to get a Gittler right angle cable and it will be perfect.

Thanks to everyone here for all the help and advice.

Stublito