Fender Slide 24 bit Audio Interface for IOS

Started by Elantric, February 10, 2016, 10:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-6950000-000
http://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10002/6950000000_audio_manual_all_revA.pdf
Fender Slide  $56

more details here
http://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10002/6950000000_audio_manual_all_revA.pdf
( observe the negative reviews are mostly from folks annoyed that the "free" Rock Prodigy Game supplied is the lite version)

AND or for what it is worth -  assuming Fender Slide uses the same core USB Audio chipset employed in the Fender Tripleplay Strat USB Audio -

so far I'm NOT able to get good results on any MS Windows PC with this interface.   
But I only used ASIO4ALL - need to try the Fender Universal ASIO USB driver for Windows here:
http://www2.fender.com/support/articles/fender-universal-asio-driver/

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Slide-Audio-Interface-iPhone/dp/B00IKVROPU

Fender SLIDE Interface
http://www.fender.com/home-studio/slide/fender-slide-interface/6950000000.html
Along with simple and flexible connectivity, the Fender SLIDE Interface includes two complimentary versions of IK Multimedia's AmpliTube, amp and FX modeling software, along with a lite version of the Rock Prodigy app, the most complete and effective way to learn guitar. The Fender SLIDE Interface provides everything you need to start using your mobile device or PC as a recording, performing or guitar instructional workstation.

Plug your guitar or bass into the SLIDE interface with a standard 1/4" instrument cable, and use either included data cable to connect to your device.

Monitor with headphones or fill the room with sound by connecting to an amplified system. With the SLIDE Interface you have complete control.

SEPARATE VOLUME AND MIX CONTROLS
For quick adjustment of your personal mix, SLIDE features separate volume and mix controls, the latter of which lets you incorporate dry signal to overcome device latency.

Features

Premium AD/DA converters for more accurate sound into and out of your device
Dynamic Range Extension circuitry for maximum dynamic range and signal to noise ratio, and better translation of your performance
Sturdy ergonomic design for seamless integration with your performing or recording rig – balanced for skid-free tabletop operation and intuitive access to controls
Bi-directional audio allows for simultaneous input and output monitoring
Separate VOLUME and MIX controls for quick adjustment of your personal mix – mix control lets you incorporate dry signal to overcome system latency

Elantric

Confirmed   -the Fender Slide 24 bit Audio Interface for IOS is same audio chipset  / hardware Audio I/O as used in Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat and it works very well - no batteries required and sounds great with BIAS FX or Yonac Tonestack on iPad Air 2

comes with Apple Lightning adapter cable (iPad/iPhone) and a USB cable for Windows / Mac

Chumly

Here in the Great White North I have the change to purchase the Fender Slide for $35 Canadian (about $27 US) but I already have an iRig Pro and a Scarlett 2i4.  From what I can tell, it's a nice piece and the price is great, but I'm not sure I could find a use for it, plus it seems they are being discontinued.

Thoughts?
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Elantric

I'm very happy with mine - really similar 24 bit low noise performance as iRig Pro  - its lacking MIDI input, but Fender Slide is more future proof since it has a clean stereo 24 bit DAC and headphone/Line output (missing on iRig Pro)

Since we know Apple is removing the 3.5mm headphone output jack on future IOS devices.
I figure by  2018 IOS Audio interfaces that have no DAC output (  Apogee Jam and iRig Pro)  will be useless on 2018 Apple iPhone / iPad -

AFAIK - Fender Slide is not being discontinued - just currently on sale various locations

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17289.msg123544#msg123544

Chumly

I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Chumly

Hello Elantric,

I just received my Fender Slide and I think it was damaged in transit.  Could you let me know if the larger of the two rotary controls turns with a smooth evenness from full clockwise to full counterclockwise?

On mine, this larger rotary control is very stiff when about 30% or less to the fully counterclockwise position however it's fairly smooth for about 70% of the balance of the rotation to the clockwise.

The box is damaged and what I think happened is some large force was applied to the surface of this larger rotary control, making it contact the body of the Fender Fuse, and thus causing the stiffness in rotary motion for the last 30% to the counterclockwise.

Chumly

Hmm... I suspected as much and I've already given the gentle pry to no avail, given the damage to the box I figure it was an in transit issue. Oh well, Best Buy has a free return policy, so minus the modest hassles, all will be well. I am obliged!

Chumly

I returned it to have another shipped and it has the identical concern, in fact it is so similar in action I would not be surprised if they simply sent the same one back to me. Oh Consumerism you soulless monster, how you haunt me so!

Elantric

Here is the Fender Slide Owners Manual

I had to recheck mine -and the Fender Slide Headphone Volume Knob only moves within the indicated range

- as depicted in the graphic above, the Volume is full counter-clock-wise minimum level

- as depicted in the graphic above, the Volume is full clock-wise maximum level

Mine turns smoothly - and I don't force its beyond its  range.

Chumly

On this unit, the total degrees of rotation is 202.5 degrees not 180 degrees.

If one assumes the Fender Slide headphone volume knob to be the circumference of a circle imposed on the Cartesian coordinates, and one stays with the convention of counterclockwise, then rotation starts at minus 22.5 degrees and ends at 202.5 degrees.

The force needed to cause this total of 202.5 degrees of rotation is far from excessive (I am after all a veteran knob twiddler by both occupation and inclination!) however the last portion of the rotation (from 112.5 degrees to 202.5 degrees) is without doubt considerably higher and somewhat uneven as compared to the majority of the rotation which (as mentioned) starts at minus 22.5 degrees and enters the higher friction portion of the counterclockwise rotation at 112.5 degrees.

Also, not only is the action very similar to the last unit, but the OEM box looks damaged very similarly to my last unit, leading me to my suspicions of receiving the same one twice.

Elantric

When I use my Fender Slide I guess I'm too busy playing guitar to worry about the knobs

I do disable the direct monitor (little knob) when using IOS Amp modelers 

Chumly

Conspicuous consumption of valuable goods is a means of reputability to the gentleman of leisure. - Veblin

bether

Hi,
look I did comparison three guitar interfaces.
Line 6 Sonic Port
Apogee JAM 96k
Fender SLIDE

Elantric

Was hoping you would review comparing the latencies of each.

The Apogee does not have a DAC - must use your Apple iPhone/ iPad Headset jack to monitor all audio- it sounds good ( same as I experience with my IK  iRig Pro  - which also must use the Apple Headset output to monitor all audio

The Fender Slide sounds the most different and you get what you pay for. ( got one for $35 )

However the Apogee JAM I can't recommend for anyone in 2017 as all new iPhones dropped the Headset output jack

bether

Latencies are the same on iPhone SE.
For me best sound is by Line 6 Sonic Port.