VGuitar Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: SPICETONE 6APPEAL - Shawnb's Tips & tricks  (Read 1826 times)

aliensporebomb

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: 81
    • ASB Web
Re: SPICETONE 6APPEAL - Shawnb's Tips & tricks
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 06:24:52 AM »

It's best to buy direct from Spicetone

The nearest I can tell you get a 20 foot GK cable and a 1 foot GK cable if you buy from them but not the reseller.  Hmmm.
"this is aliensporebomb" - my instrumental debut with the vg99 now on itunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/this-is-aliensporebomb/id391880218
More online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

My VG-99 based music projects:
http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 07:18:24 AM »

"We do have a few other modules in mind. But, these make sense only if our first module finds support from musicians.

If the analog hexaphonic signal processing is going to take off, we may think also of an analog guitar synth based on our electronic technology. A special feature of our approach is that if we create other 13pin boxes, too, these can be daisy chained just as conventional guitar pedals."

Yes!! Put me on the list! ;D ;D

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 07:26:02 AM »

What I think is really needed is a digital counterpart. Something that can do advanced pitch fx hexaphonically with a 13 pin out that passes on all 7 processed signals, to do all the effects that really need to be done before distortion (pickup modeling, tuning shifts, etc) and then feed that to the 6Appeal.

I came to the same conclusion about a year ago and have been bugging Antares to produce a hex output ATG for some time now.  Perhaps you wouldn't mind joining the cause?  I made the suggestion on the Autotune for Guitar forum and directly to Henrik at Antares.

whippinpost91850

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 07:35:20 AM »

I have sent Antares  emails as well.

admsustainiac

• Site Administrator
  • Rating: 38
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 08:12:44 AM »

Or buy a Boss GP-10 for its GK 13 pin 6 channel analog input > 6 channel USB To fast computer for real time 6 channel VSTi/AU processing >6 Channel  USB output to GP-10 stereo mixer to > GP-10 stereo analog output

See "Re-Guitar" signal flow on the right

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:16:46 AM by admsustainiac »

chrish

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 10:13:54 AM »

Or buy a Boss GP-10 for its GK 13 pin 6 channel analog input > 6 channel USB To fast computer for real time 6 channel VSTi/AU processing >6 Channel  USB output to GP-10 stereo mixer to > GP-10 stereo analog output

(Image removed from quote.)
for me it boils down to the question of whether I want to support Roland digital gear that comes complete with pitch shift warbles and no 5 pin midi or;

Do I want to support a company who is developing hex analogue products.

And let's not forget that Roland abandoned their 13 pin hex technology  when  they designed the boss sy-300. Now I like the sy300 however it could have been a monster guitar synthesizer with both quarter inch and 13 pin hex input.

Consumers hold the power on what products are developed and brought to Market although Roland has maybe forgotten that. I'm done buying products that Roland wants to cram down our throats with flashy marketing techniques.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:17:08 AM by chrish »

admsustainiac

• Site Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 10:26:34 AM »

That's a lot of wrong information IMHO

chrish

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2017, 11:06:51 AM »

That's a lot of wrong information IMHO
could you be more specific?

admsustainiac

• Site Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2017, 11:31:53 AM »

Roland abandoned their 13 pin hex technology

Wrong - 2017 Roland / Boss   -  several GK 13 pin products remain  "active" and in production and still sell well to this day (May 2017 )

Roland GR-55 (still the #1 reason new members state when joining VGuitarForums today) 
Boss GP-10
Roland US-20 A/B Y 13 pin selector
GK-3 external Guitar PU 
GK-KIT-GT3  Internal PU 
GK-3B external bass PU
Roland digital gear {Boss GP-10) that comes complete with pitch shift warbles

Only true for some guitars  - not all

I have no issues with my Boss GP-10 

and just because Boss released the SY-300 does NOT translate into Roland abandoning hex pickups or the GK-13 pin technology

rather like saying "Since the release of the 2016 Chevrolet Volt Electric automobile, Chevrolet have now abandoned all internal combustion engine technology"

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:03:32 PM by admsustainiac »

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2017, 12:00:15 PM »

Yes, that would work - sort of.  My primary wish is to stay away from computers and process the hex signals on a pedal board.  I own several ATG guitars and a GP-10; for my taste the ATG alternate tunings outperform the GP-10 by a long shot.  The ATG models are quite good as well.

In a recording studio environment the GP-10 offers an alternative through USB.

chrish

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2017, 02:19:38 PM »

Wrong - 2017 Roland / Boss   -  several GK 13 pin products remain  "active" and in production and still sell well to this day (May 2017 )

Roland GR-55 (still the #1 reason new members state when joining VGuitarForums today) 
Boss GP-10
Roland US-20 A/B Y 13 pin selector
GK-3 external Guitar PU 
GK-KIT-GT3  Internal PU 
GK-3B external bass PU
Only true for some guitars  - not all

I have no issues with my Boss GP-10 

and just because Boss released the SY-300 does NOT translate into Roland abandoning hex pickups or the GK-13 pin technology

rather like saying "Since the release of the 2016 Chevrolet Volt Electric automobile, Chevrolet have now abandoned all internal combustion engine technology"
okay so your post was predicated on the fact that either I wasn't clear based upon word choice and or sentence structure, or you misinterpreted what I wrote.

However you did just misquote me by not including the entire quote.

This is what I wrote:
And let's not forget that Roland abandoned their 13 pin hex technology  when  they designed the boss sy-300.

This is how you quoted me and possibly how you interpreted what I wrote.

"Roland abandoned their 13 pin hex technology".

My statement simply means that when Roland designed the boss Sy 300 they did not include the 13 pin hex input, which is a fact.

It would not be possible for me to know if Roland has given up completely on including 13 pin hex pickup inputs on future products.

se·man·tics
səˈman(t)iks/
noun
the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning.
the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text.
plural noun: semantics
"such quibbling over semantics may seem petty stuff"
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 02:30:28 PM by chrish »

chlorinemist

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 07:12:15 AM »

Would this actually work? I was looking into this recently and was informed that it wasn't actually possible to get 6 processed outputs via the GP-10, even with an audio interface with the appropriate I/O. Specifically, I was told the following:

"The GP-10 doesn't do what you want since it will mix the internal string signals after pitch shifting to a combined stream. The individual string digital outs over the USB interface are unprocessed."

Is this inaccurate?

jodama

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2017, 08:16:41 AM »

Unlike piezos or the GKs, fundamentally these pickups are constructed based on the same design and construction principles as your standard active humbucking pickups. They sound distinctly like real guitar pickups (albeit really amazing ones), because they 100% actually are.

You're selling me on these things. Not to take this thread too far off topic, but I just checked the Cycfi website, and the Nus are sold out. Do they restock frequently? I'm hoping I didn't miss the boat.

Also, can their hex pickups easily fit in a humbucker space?

chlorinemist

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2017, 02:25:10 PM »

You're selling me on these things. Not to take this thread too far off topic, but I just checked the Cycfi website, and the Nus are sold out. Do they restock frequently? I'm hoping I didn't miss the boat.

Send them an email. They have excellent customer service. The store was out of stock when I first wanted to buy a Nu as well. I emailed them, they said the new batch would be done in two months, and they put me on a list to reserve one.
You definitely didn't miss the boat. The Nus are fundamental to Cycfi's long term master plan to develop the extremely ambitious "Infinity" system. They won't be going out of production anytime soon.

The regular Nu assembly is single coil sized, but Cycfi has some extremely cool options for filling a humbucker space:

Nu-XR Combo
http://www.cycfi.com/2017/03/brothers-in-arms-nu-xr-combo/

Double Nu
http://www.cycfi.com/2016/03/meet-cadbury/

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2017, 02:39:16 PM »

Here's my current build:

Nu plus XR Dual Flex passive pickups in bridge position.

Elantric

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: 397
    • Elantric's Tips and Blog
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2017, 04:28:02 PM »

Here's my current build:

Nu plus XR Dual Flex passive pickups in bridge position.

Too bad all Cycfi NuPlus divided pickups are currently sold out and not available at the moment
https://www.cycfi-research.com/product/nu-multi-basic-set/

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 04:33:04 PM by Elantric »

chlorinemist

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2017, 01:53:47 AM »

Too bad all Cycfi NuPlus divided pickups are currently sold out and not available at the moment
https://www.cycfi-research.com/product/nu-multi-basic-set/

You seem to have a cynical attitude towards Cycfi. Curious why? Apologies in advance if I'm misreading you.

They restock with a new batch every couple months. If you send them an email you can make a reservation and they'll let you know when the next batch comes in. They respond very promptly, great customer service.

Elantric

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2017, 03:45:28 AM »

I was just checking on them , but they are always out of stock when I visit their site

And I'm in the camp that considers hex mag divided pickups placed further than 30 mm away from the bridge negatively impact the COSM modeling tones and will have higher crosstalk when string bending  ( which I do a lot)
And I'm not a fan of active pickups ( sonic Tone and power management )

For my main meat & potatoes guitar Tone I still prefer old passive pickup technology

But I encourage others to explore
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 03:53:09 AM by Elantric »

chlorinemist

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2017, 04:36:44 AM »

I was just checking on them , but they are always out of stock when I visit their site

And I'm in the camp that considers hex mag divided pickups placed further than 30 mm away from the bridge negatively impact the COSM modeling tones and will have higher crosstalk when string bending  ( which I do a lot)
And I'm not a fan of active pickups ( sonic Tone and power management )

For my main meat & potatoes guitar Tone I still prefer old passive pickup technology

But I encourage others to explore

It may well be true that they are not ideal for cosm but that is not an oversight, but rather a conscious choice. Joel developed the Nus as a foundation for his own full fledged guitar synthesis platform that utilizes processing concepts much like Roland's HRM technology, but implemented in a way that avoids many of the pitfalls ive experienced with Roland's 13 pin tech. He is actually a software engineer primarily and has been developing this hardware in order to create a platform appropriate for his grander polyphonic processing vision (the "Infinity" system). So I think it's a bit unfair to discredit them for not focusing on roland compatibility.
As for active vs passive, obviously it's all a matter of opinion. i MASSIVELY prefer active pickups. Ubertar seems a good option for the passive purists
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:46:51 AM by chlorinemist »

Elantric

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2017, 09:08:57 AM »

Still prefer a well setup GK-3 for my 13 pin needs - it works for me

Our individual goals in pursuit of expanding sounds of the guitar may be very different, I find that to be a global constant and healthy for expanding collective knowledge which is the agenda of this forum
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:17:07 AM by Elantric »

chrish

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2017, 11:03:42 AM »

Still prefer a well setup GK-3 for my 13 pin needs - it works for me

Our individual goals in pursuit of expanding sounds of the guitar may be very different, I find that to be a global constant and healthy for expanding collective knowledge which is the agenda of this forum
expanding Collective knowledge is one goal of mankind, or maybe that just happens organically.

When I finally got around to purchasing a VG 99 I thought that it would be cool if our electronic design engineers could design an analogue version of the VG 99 without the guitar models .

I don't really need the guitar models because I'm not trying to cop the tone that previous artists have put their recordings. You don't need a Carlos Santana tone to play samba pa ti.

If I need a nylon string guitar tone  I reach for my nylon string guitar .

A guitarist can develop their own tone given the right tools. And the spicetone 6appeal seems to be the right tool.

After watching a lot of demos this spicetone product seems to be pretty close to a Roland gr 100 but on steroids with lots of possibilities for integration with modular synthesis.

For example the designers have allowed for using a envelope slope via MIDI, if I'm understanding the literature correctly, but why not just pass audio out signal into a modular synth adsr and other modules like different filters. In my opinion spicetone should add some CV ins and outs and maybe even consider making a eurorack version of their products to expand their Market.

I'm fairly excited about these Innovative companies that are catering to what artists want as their tools. They do however need our support.

I've always mixed analogue signals in with my digital gear however digital gear is starting to add up in my studio and after a while you notice it lacks whatever it is that gives analogue equipment it's magic.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:19:27 AM by chrish »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Blog