Alesis Alpha 112A - great 1000 watt powered PA cab

Started by JeffVolume, October 01, 2014, 06:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HANSEL612

Quote from: ITL on May 17, 2015, 01:32:06 AM
I bought 2 new old stock on eBay last week. Received them with free shipping. When I plugged them in, they rock!  Very clean sound. I was looking for a FRFR system that I can run my Axe-Fx II, FTP and GR55 through live.  Great recommendation Elantric, thanks!

Hi, I was looking for how to order one of Alesis Alpha 112A for me and I am in Toronto. Not able to find any dealer carrying the same :( When I tried toorder from US, shipping charge is almost same the price of the stuff :(. Any pointers please? I made up my mind after going through this awesome forum about all the praises for this baby.
regards,
H

Elantric

In Canada I would look for the nearly identical Alto TS112A 800Watt cabs ( both are built side by side in same factory)

Here in USA, an Alesis Dealer in Florida (DemandSound) offers a rare opportunity to obtain the  Alesis Alpha 112A for $199 with free shipping in the lower 48  - they have had 28 for sale since these first arrived summer 2014
( I think I ordered the last one today - now own four of them!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331506696165

Pair with stands & cables for $469 are still available - They may get more in stock - but I suspect a price hike 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Alesis-Alpha-112-Active-2-Way-12-1000-W-Loudspeaker-w-Stands-and-Cables-/231502975369?hash=item35e6a71189:g:HOkAAOSwGvhUKsh-

Will use them with my QSC Touchmix 16 and DSP Amp Modeler DuJour.

HANSEL612

Thanks a lot Elantric. I already guessed so this morning and called up two places looking for Alto. They don't have anyone in stock right now, but they will update me on coming monday. Chances are they can arrange for one in 2 weeks probably it seems. I tried for Alesis Alpha 112 as well, but chances are extremely very slim. They told if Alesis is possible, it may take ~2 months. I told them to let me know on monday. If there is a possibility for getting Alesis, I told them I would still wait for Alesis as my first choice. Fingers crossed.....
H

concordal

@Hanels612, I recently ordered a two of the Alesis with stands & cables from demandsound and I'm also in Canada. 

Here's what worked for me:   The demandosund liisting has free shipping, so I had it shipped to a US parcel forwarding company close to the Canadian border.  They then re-shipped the item to me for pickup at my local airport for a reasonable fee based on weight.  Since the Alesis is not for commercial use, the US/Canada Free Trade Agreement kicks in and all I had to pay for customs duty was 7%.  In fact the Canada Border Services Agent filled out the paperwork for me.  (Some unsolicited advice if you decide to do this:  The border agents don't respond well to attitude, but if treated with normal respect they are most helpful.)

demandsound will ship cross border, but the shipping and brokerage fees are prohibitive.

You can find many firms in your area that  re-ship by searching on google for parcel forwarding canada. Try this:  http://bfy.tw/2RRM

Hope this helps, Hanels612

HANSEL612

Thanks for the info!!!! I may go for that option after I hear back from the two places in a week. In between, I wanted an assumption to clarify. Based on all the discussions on this wonderful forum, what I inferred is - we DO NOT NEED a boosted signal (through a Mixer) to be fed as input to Alesis Alpha 112 OR Alto TS-112A. Is it true for BOTH alesis and Alto speakers as they are primaroly manufactured by same? Please confirm.

admin

Quotewhat I inferred is - we DO NOT NEED a boosted signal (through a Mixer) to be fed as input to Alesis Alpha 112 OR Alto TS-112A. Is it true for BOTH alesis and Alto speakers as they are primaroly manufactured by same? Please confirm.

Both Alto and Alesis share same on board preamp and work well with direct feed from all gear we talk about.

HANSEL612

Thanks a lot everyone. Just an update on a different thing. I am so much impressed with GR 55 and especially the Nylone tones, that I just sold my Godin Multiac encore yesterday !!!!! Its too much to carry otherwise :)

DF400

We played our first gigs with the Alesis 112A's this weekend. I must say, they are a great buy and can carry a band for a small-mid-sized event. I am still of the opinion they are not flat response, but with a little eq'ing, we dialed them in and they held their own. I should also mention, I debuted the Midas M32R desk and a single Turbosound iQ15B so it was impossible to compare to my previous set up. BTW, the Midas desk is very, very impressive. The iQ15B is quite nice as well.

Elantric

No problems with mine - but I have located a source for Spare parts for repairing Alesis Alpha 112A

http://www.instrumentalparts.com/alalsppaal11.html

( . )( . )

...just ordered a pair of Alphas on EBay for $469 with stands and xlr cables (guess I'll find a use for the cables)...stoked.

( . )( . )

I got the Alphas...they seem to clip at very low levels from the GP-10. I've adjusted the gp output, but I can't seem to get decent volume from the speakers...certainly not what I was expecting from 1000 watts. I'm running regular instrument cables into the speakers from the L/R mains of the GP, set to line/phones out.

DF400

I will defer to other who have used line level, as I run as mains through a desk. However, mine are plenty loud. In fact, I run them at about 50% (12 o'clock) for gigs, with plenty of headroom.

Elantric

Quotemine are plenty loud. In fact, I run them at about 50% (12 o'clock) for gigs, with plenty of headroom.

Same here

To use powered cabs effectively and obtain the loudest levels with powered PA cabs from any DSP Guitar amp modeler, be sure you have a final EQ, to adjust the frequency response to suit the band situation, music style,  and and the  room.  If you perform as a guitarist in a band with a bass player,  you will want to find the frequency spectrum that does not compete with the Bass player and the singer. I find huge benefit by removing the low frequencies that emerge from the GP-10, that often fight with the bass player.  This advice falls on deaf ears for most Metal players. but i find the GP-10 works best when you cut the low end response using an external EQ or EQ and sub cut filter on a typical PA Mixer. then feed the Alpha 112A.  - this also allows higher Sound pressure level and match the typical guitar amp speaker frequency response and sit better in the overall band live mix.

Or save up $5K to buy a Meyer Sound MFJ-210       
http://www.meyersound.com/product/mjf-210/

( . )( . )

Quote from: DF400 on November 05, 2015, 07:09:05 PM
I will defer to other who have used line level, as I run as mains through a desk. However, mine are plenty loud. In fact, I run them at about 50% (12 o'clock) for gigs, with plenty of headroom.

Isn't anything above 12 o'clock meant to adjust the mic level?

I'm getting clipping on relatively low levels, like I said, but I'd hate to eq out the lows to compensate...

HANSEL612

I am always amazed at this wonderful forum's knowledge-power contributed by each one of you :) Its a wonderful place where anyone can ask any question without thinking its silly or not. Hence, asking one now :)
Had a tricky question (may tricky only to my silly mind, but not to most of you)
I am in the process of acquiring an Alto TS112A as my personal stage monitor. I do own a GR 20 and recently a GR 55 too. Only drawback I am being slightly set back by GR55 is its sitar tones. Hence, am planning to keep GR 20 and use along with GR55.
For the same, I want to try something without (1) Y - 13PIN SYSTEM (2) Mixer
I will get the guitar to GR55 through GK13. Them Midi-out TO Midi-in of GR 20. L/R of GR55 am planning to feed Mix L/R of GR 20 (trying to saVE few dollars and setup time by avoiding a mixer and a Y GK Cable+splitter :)
I know the latency would be an issue due to MidiOut-MidiIn. But, I am more concerned about the optimal performance of GR 20 output with my to-be-purchased Also TS 112A. Would the O/P of GR20 goes well with TS112a without needing any pre-amplification? I know for a fact that GR55 can directly feed in TS112A with Line as output mode. Wanted to know whether the same is true for GR 20 also (in conjunction with GR55 connected as well)

Elantric

Using either Alesis Alpha 112A  or the Alto Trusonic TS112A  = you will be able to send GR-20's Mono (Left Output) and GR-55's Mono (Left output) via 1/4" mono cable and feed the rear inputs on the  Alto Trusonic TS112A  Feed GR-55 to Input 1, GR-20 to Input 2  XLR/TRS combo jacks on the rear of the TS112A  - start with the levels on the  Alto Trusonic TS112A  at 12"00 noon, and adjust volume using the master Output level knobs on GR-20 and GR-55 

And yes the GR-20 will suffer an additional 30 milliseconds latency on average run as a MIDi slave to the GR-55  ( a US-20 would lower the GR-20 latency)

HANSEL612

Wonderful Elantric. I had one more question which is, when I have to transpose, I use alternate tuning mode and tweak the user set up and save the patches used for a particular song. So, If I decided to Midi Out to GR20, would the MidiOut contains transposed notes. Looks like, this forum is again proven being amazing :) and especially you Elantric !!!! I found the following post where you replied saying with firmware 1.50, it should Midiout Alternate tunings. Excellent !!!! I will try out and let you know :)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4103.0

admin

Correct - update to latest GR-55 firmware and  MIDI Out also gets transposed to the global DSP Alt tuning

Elantric

I now own four of these Alpha 112A powered cabs

And as luck would have it - recently I played a gig where the bass player was running the PA, and during sound check he allowed a massive  feedback condition to continue for an extended time ( at least 30 seconds )  which fried the HF horn diaphragm in one of my Alesis 112A cabs.

i contacted Alesis - and this was the reply

QuoteI have included a listing (below) for the piece(s) you are looking for offered through Alto Professional. If available, these pieces can be ordered directly through an emailed form or over the phone. Generally, parts orders are able to ship out the same day they are placed, and arrive in 5-7 business days. The number on the far left is the Alto Professional part number for this piece.

Part Number  HG00450

Description   Tweeter

Price  $98.00

Availability   In Stock

*Prices do not include shipping/handling. Ground shipping within the continental US is Fed-Ex 5-7 day ground priced at $9 depending on your location ($30-$40 to Hawaii, Alaska or U.S. Minor Outlying Islands)*

I will dive in and disassemble the Alesis 112A and its horn driver and see if I can track down the actual OEM source for the HF driver diaphragm. Should be a $20 part.  - often these are supplied by the usual Asian speaker companies

I'll post some pics

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/aftermarket-replacement-speaker-diaphragms.html

http://www.springfieldspeakerrepair.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=1832&show=48&page=1

concordal

Elantric, when you disassemble the Alpha 112A would you mind having a close look at the shape of the horn?

The reason for asking is that the 112A specs show the "Nominal Horn Coverage" as:    80/100° H x 60° V nominal (-6 dB)

It's not clear whether this means that the horns are asymmetrically shaped for horizontal coverage with one side being 80° and the other being 100° off center   OR   whether there is rapid falloff of sound on the horizontal plane, namely -6dB, from 80 to 100°   OR     whether 80 and 100 refer to variations in the angles between low and high frequencies (with the highest frequencies having the smallest angle)   OR   perhaps there is a wider angle for covering the front row and a narrower one for reaching the back.

Many sound engineers use the horn coverage specs to aim the FOH speakers, but usually the coverage is stated as two sound dispersion angles, one H and one V.

In the end, maybe describing your own experience might be a better answer to all this than deciphering the specs!!

HAMERMAN409

If possible please take pictures of the woofer and amp module too (if they don't require addition disassembly). I'm considering picking up a pair and would really like to see how they look inside before jumping.

Tek

My wife just got me a pair of Alesis Alpha 112's for Christmas. She won't let me open them til then...  ::)

I'm really excited to hear them, especially after reading about them here on the forum...

I'll report back later.

Elantric

Its a busy time of year , not had time to dive in yet  - I'll  post pics as soon as I can

Elantric

Still not had time to tear down my Alpha 112A for HF Tweeter diaphragm repair

But wanted to point out  Alesis Alpha 112A are back in stock at Demand Sound
But now $249
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alesis-Alph...046054?hash=item35e6e52ea6:g:PI4AAOxyzTJTjhmJ

concordal

One cautionary note about this eBay seller - demandsound.   If you're thinking of ordering a pair of the Alesis Alpha 112, I recommend that you NOT order the package they are offering that includes speaker stands and PA cables.  The cables are extremely light duty and the speaker stands are not much better.  Worse, demandsound  does not stand behind defective merchandise.

However, the Alesis Alpha 112 deal on its own is well worth it.  Excellent PA.  Another terrific Elantric recommendation.