GK3-KIT-BG install

Started by gumtown, September 30, 2014, 10:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

I have had this Samick 5 bass since forever (about 1989) and for a Korean built instrument it is actually quite amazing(active P-J),
at one stage I did dispose of it, but missed it and swapped it back for a Fender P bass (MIM).

I then left it out for the kids to play with, but recently have been preferring it's unique sound as a change to my Fender jazz V deluxe (MIA).
So after purchasing a GK3-KIT-BG (internal GK kit for bass), I thought, WHY NOT?

The GK3-KIT-BG..

Before.. this is what I have to start with, a 9 volt battery compartment and a cavity for the existing pickup preamp and knobs and switch.

I have already fitted the momentary mini toggle for the S1/S2 switching, and the GK potentiometer (using existing matching knob).
It originally had 2 x volume, 1 x tone/pull passive and F-B-R P.U. switch.
there are existing drill holes where I once had a GK-3B fitted too.

The cavity need to be bigger to fit the GK electronics and wiring, will use a plunge router to maximise the cavity to still fit the original cover plate.

A last reminder as to how it was originally wired..

I used plastic electrical tape to help prevent the edges from chipping during the cutting process, and to mark out the hole centres.

The cavity routing was successful, no drama's there, except the routing bit couldn't quite reach the bottom.

The GK socket not so good, it got away on me a bit, I hope the GK socket plate will cover the edges...

Put all the guts back in and wire it up, on his one, I have no need for the guitar/synth switch, as I always have my GK instruments in the both position all the time.
the GK switch wires have the bare ends trimmed off and rolled up and taped, to be in the both position, none of the connections are made, so the switch isn't needed at all.
I could have installed it, but didn't want to drill un-necessary holes in the front.
The black/white wires are also used across the guitar jack socket to automatically 'connect' the 9 volt pickup preamp battery when GK power is applied,
so that there is no need to plug anything into the regular guitar socket to enable the existing on-board active preamp.

Now the cover plate goes on,
I did have to open it up again latter as I had forgotten the ground wire to the bridge, and wired the jack socket tip and ring backward.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

And the finished pictures

knobs left to right are front pickup volume (P type), rear pickup volume (J type), GK volume, and the toggle switch is S1/S2

the GK socket, they left out the four screws from the kit too. The LED hole is slightly tapered and the led is friction fit.

the GK pickup with the wiring and plug fitted down through an angle drilled hole beneath.

All done and tested (and it all works as it should too), job satisfaction having a bass that the GK kit is worth more than the instrument.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

fokof