Line6 Sonic Port VX

Started by Elantric, September 07, 2014, 11:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

iRig Pro relies on the iPad Headset connection for Output

When using SonicPort VX, Do not connect the headphones to the iPad

To connect Atomic CLR - Use Balanced TRS cables between 1/4" Left & Right Output jacks on SonicPort VX and inputs on Atomic CLR

FWIW - the Line6 SonicPort VX sounds very similar to the iRig Pro - (both are 24 bit A/D and low noise instrument pre-amp).
In use, the SonicPort VX is a bit cleaner / and louder with more headphone  output drive due to the built in DAC with direct 1/4" TRS Balanced Outputs and 3.5mm TRS Stereo Headphone amp connection

The iRig Pro still has that unique MIDI Input, and supports using XLR / Phantom Powered Condenser mics

Also iRig Pro has adjustable Instrument gain ( missing on the SonicPortVX)  - so if you use Active EMGs on  18VDC with dual 9V batteries - the Sonic Port will get overloaded and distort   

whippinpost91850

No Active pickups, on any of my guitars. Even through the Sonic Port VX I don't get much level to the headphones. That's one of the reason (Aside from the great Adarama deal) I got new headphones I thought maybe there was something wrong with my old AT 240 Phones. Will try The CLR tommorrow. I'm beginnig to feel really stupid and this should be so simple. Unless there is some setting on the iPad i'm missing. Thanks for all the help

Elantric

Be sure you turn up the output volume ,  using the side mounted Vol up/down buttons on iPad - these control the headphone output level for  headphones connected to SonicPort VX.

And be sure you correctly assigned the Right Input channel 2 Input within Bias / Tonestack

i recall the Sonicport VX  use Right Input channel 2 for Guitar Input

bbob

Also, if using Tone Stack, tap the AUDIO PREFS at the top of the screen and make sure the audio levels input and output sliders are set to 0 db or higher.

Bob

whippinpost91850

Thanks Elantric and bbob , hopely you have stumbled on to the cause of my idiosy

Elantric

California Guitar Trio plays 'CherryTrees' with Sonic Port VX | Line 6
The California Guitar Trio always impresses with their musicality, their technical mastery, and their humor. Check out www.cgtrio.com for more information on the band and their new album, which contains this song. Join CGT as they record their newest song 'Cherry Trees" directly into the Sonic Port VX from Line 6. The audio came directly from the iPhone®, and hasn't been sweetened, other than a bit of reverb.
http://line6.com/videos/123/?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRonuavAZKXonjHpfsX96e0oWKag38431UFwdcjKPmjr1YICRcV0aPyQAgobGp5I5FEJSLbYUKJut6EPUw%3D%3D

admin

Quote from: Elantric on Yesterday at 07:41:47 AM
QuoteI hope Line -6 can address the Helix USB Audio pops and clicks in the audio when Helix is used as an audio interface
It remains unusable as a USB Audio interface in its current firmware
mbenigni wrote>
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15254.msg124029#msg124029

I wasn't sure whether to post here or in Deal Alert Thread, where we were talking about TRRS vs. USB, but probably more relevant here.

Having failed with Helix USB, and then with the TC Helicon TRRS adaptor, I tried to get Helix + JamOrigin + SampleTank going with my iRig Pro - routing audio from Helix to iPad via CCK, then audio back from iPad to Helix via the headphone adaptor.  Confirmed all audio was routed properly, but SampleTank suddenly wouldn't respond to JamOrigin.  Grr.  Eventually dawned on me that SampleTank was defaulting to the MIDI input built into the iRig Pro... and as far as I'm aware there's no way to configure this in the app or in iOS itself.  :(

This was starting to feel like that familiar scene where every which way you approach a problem, there is a different, tiny flaw that prevents it from quite working.  Minor temper tantrum, and on to the last resort:

I tried the SonicPort VX.  I didn't have much hope of this working, especially when I plugged it in and it muted the iPad's headphone out.  My assumption was that if I relied on audio to and from the SonicPort itself, it would click and pop and eventually get out of phase, since bidirectional audio with the Helix's own USB port does the same.  But what do you know, the SonicPort is perfectly stable!  And of course with analog I/O via the Helix FX loops, I can route SampleTank anywhere I like in a Helix patch, and apply effects/ expression pedal control to my heart's content.  I actually played some lovely music when all was said and done.  That's not something I can say very often; hope it's the beginning of a new trend.  :)

So the trillion dollar question: why can Line 6's own aging, cheap SonicPort stream audio bidirectionally to iOS 9, while the Helix cannot?  Is it because the Helix is sending so many more channels of audio?  I just assumed it was down to an iOS 9 issue, and that any USB audio interface would be affected.  Helix USB I/O is the one thing that didn't quite deliver on my expectations - I hope they manage to sort this out, even if it's by way of an alternate "lite" mode that only sends 2 channels of audio.

Elantric

QuoteI tried the SonicPort VX.  I didn't have much hope of this working, especially when I plugged it in and it muted the iPad's headphone out.  My assumption was that if I relied on audio to and from the SonicPort itself, it would click and pop and eventually get out of phase, since bidirectional audio with the Helix's own USB port does the same.  But what do you know, the SonicPort is perfectly stable!  And of course with analog I/O via the Helix FX loops, I can route SampleTank anywhere I like in a Helix patch, and apply effects/ expression pedal control to my heart's content.  I actually played some lovely music when all was said and done.  That's not something I can say very often; hope it's the beginning of a new trend.  :)

So the trillion dollar question: why can Line 6's own aging, cheap SonicPort stream audio bidirectionally to iOS 9, while the Helix cannot?  Is it because the Helix is sending so many more channels of audio?  I just assumed it was down to an iOS 9 issue, and that any USB audio interface would be affected.  Helix USB I/O is the one thing that didn't quite deliver on my expectations - I hope they manage to sort this out, even if it's by way of an alternate "lite" mode that only sends 2 channels of audio.

FWIW  -the Sonicport VX employs a newer generation chip set  and has better audio performance and lower latency compared to compared to original SonicPort

But the Helix USB 8 channel Audio I/O  is whole separate platform, with an new  FPGA doing the digital audio swizzling / routing.
I hope they can fix the pops / crackles with the current Helix hardware.   

But FWIW - the Sonicport VX has very clean mic pre's and its TRS 1/4" output work much better with lower noise vs. the new iRig PRO DUO

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on February 19, 2016, 09:42:50 AM

FWIW  -the Sonicport VX employs a newer generation chip set  and has better audio performance and lower latency compared to compared to original SonicPort

But the Helix USB 8 channel Audio I/O  is whole separate platform, with an new  FPGA doing the digital audio swizzling / routing.
I hope they can fix the pops / crackles with the current Helix hardware.   

But FWIW - the Sonicport VX has very clean mic pre's and its TRS 1/4" output work much better with lower noise vs. the new iRig PRO DUO

Thanks, Steve.  Until there's some dramatic improvement with iOS and/or Helix firmware, it looks like the SonicPort VX will remain part of my rig.  Glad you reminded me to try it!

GuitarBuilder

I just picked up a Sonic Port VX for use with my iPad Air 2.  I've been using the iRig Pro and have been very happy with it, but the idea of having internal mics and headphone output was appealing.

I've been having trouble getting enough signal into my iPad apps - the direct guitar recording levels in Aura, Cubase, or GarageBand are very low; I've been spoiled by the iRig Pro's gain control, I guess - it's very easy to get good levels with the latter.

I also noticed that a number of the videos show the guitar signal first going into Mobile POD and using interapp audio for recording.  I was hoping to avoid that, particularly for acoustic guitar.  Is there no alternative to using Mobile POD?

I don't have the same issues when the Sonic Port is plugged into the computer.  Any thoughts?
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Elantric

I find the Sonicport VX input Gain  to be equivalent to an input Gain at 9:00 o clock on iRig Pro

and it works with all IOS audio apps  - no need to use Line-6 Mobile POD.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: Elantric on March 20, 2016, 09:19:05 AM
I find the Sonicport VX input Gain  to be equivalent to an input Gain at 9:00 o clock on iRig Pro

Yes - that's my experience as well.  I wonder how that affects the noise floor?
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Idgolfguy

I've been using my Sonic port for the guitar port of the GP10 into my IPad, Midi Guitar 2 and drive SampleTank and Korg iM1. PG apps also work this way.

I have the BT4 and BlueBoard for full midi control of the synth sounds and apps on the IPad.
All inputs go into the Steinberg UR44 for mixing and out to PA.

atracksler

Anyone using a SonicPort and the KMI softstep?

I'm looking for one rig to use with iOS and laptop... So I would need to figure a way to connect both to an iPad... will they work with a hub? or can I plug the Softstep into the other Sonic port plug (the USB one, the lightning would be connected to the iPad..)

Thanks, ad

admin

To use SonicPortVX with other USB MIDI CLASS COMPLIANT GEAR

attach to iPad/iPhone the Apple USB Camera Adapter

Then use a powered USB Hub  (and add a USB MIDI Controller)

Then connect SonicPortVX to the USB Hub using the USB cable

More here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12278.msg99340#msg99340

You can only connect SonicPort VX to just one computer at a time

SWAT_GARNET

Hi, I have used Sonicport VX for about 2 years. I think the headphone jack is malfunctioning, sometimes audio volume drops, just like when your headphone cable goes faulty. The interface is out of warranty now, and I dont know how Line6 product repair & warranty works in my country. Someone knows how to open the interface? seems like there is only one screw, but still cannot break open to see the faulty jack.

rubooch

How is the Sonicport VX working with iOS11? They're on sale now and I'm thinking of getting one. Have any of you Sonicport users had any trouble with the latest iOS?

rubooch

So I went ahead and purchased a Sonicport VX. For anyone interested, I can report that latency is unmanageable when using the supplied lightning cable (for mic and instrument input). Around 20ms or more. This was tested using both an iPad Mini 4 running iOS 10.3.3 and an iPhone SE running iOS 11.1.2. and the latest versions of Cubasis and AUM. If using the VX this way, use the direct monitor mode. I then tried using the Sonicport VX using its PC (micro usb) cable into a CCK adapter - the difference was like night and day - latency is negligible and not noticeable at all. Using the VX this way is also advantageous in that it allows you to use a USB hub and plug in midi controllers. So I am using my Sonicport VX via the micro USB cable only, I will use the lightning cable only in situations where latency is not an issue such as field recording. Hope this info helps someone in future.

admin

QuoteWe have confirmed that the Apple class compliant driver that Sonic Port / Sonic Port VX relies on for audio can be problematic on iOS 13. We have seen this across multiple iPhones. Our QA department has logged a bug with Apple to resolve this, but being that this is Apple's driver, we have no control over when this will be fixed. We'll continue to dialogue with Apple regularly and test iOS 13 beta releases as they become available. We will update this article with any relevant information as it comes.

Update 3/26/20: We've tested the iOS 13.4 release and the problem with Sonic Port and Sonic Port VX is resolved.

jassy

Quote from: admin on March 28, 2020, 09:23:33 AM
We have confirmed that the Apple class compliant driver that Sonic Port / Sonic Port VX relies on for audio can be problematic on iOS 13. We have seen this across multiple iPhones. Our QA department has logged a bug with Apple to resolve this, but being that this is Apple's driver, we have no control over when this will be fixed. We'll continue to dialogue with Apple regularly and test iOS 13 beta releases as they become available. We will update this article with any relevant information as it comes.

Update 3/26/20: We've tested the iOS 13.4 release and the problem with Sonic Port and Sonic Port VX is resolved.
I can confirm that, the Sonic port interfaces finally they work again with IOS from version 13.4.
So they remain as one of the best super portable options to use with Iphone and Ipad devices, 24 bit, great sound and a good guitar input at least with humbucker guitars.
I have two drawbacks:
The small Sonic Port (no VX) is very compact but lacks a usb connection (it has a lightnig cable) wich not allow to power it with an usb hub (and my iphone XR cant feed it)
Both units lack a gain potentiometer to be able to adapt it to the connect different guitars (my Tele and Strat enter with very little signal level).

admin

Quote from: jassy on April 28, 2020, 01:04:07 PM
I can confirm that, the Sonic port interfaces finally they work again with IOS from version 13.4.
So they remain as one of the best super portable options to use with Iphone and Ipad devices, 24 bit, great sound and a good guitar input at least with humbucker guitars.
I have two drawbacks:
The small Sonic Port (no VX) is very compact but lacks a usb connection (it has a lightnig cable) wich not allow to power it with an usb hub (and my iphone XR cant feed it)
Both units lack a gain potentiometer to be able to adapt it to the connect different guitars (my Tele and Strat enter with very little signal level).

There was a USB cable hack for (non VX) SonicPort here

https://line6.com/support/topic/1042-usb-too-or-just-30-pinlightning/