Good audio interface with MIDI for under $150?

Started by cooltouch, December 25, 2013, 11:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooltouch

I have an Alesis iO2 just like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-IO2-Express-Recording-Interface/dp/B003HR30FU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_42

and I am not all that happy with the way it works. Sometimes I get a line hum that disappears when I touch a metal part on the unit, which tells me that something isn't properly grounded. Sometimes I get bursts of static, which seem to be coming from the iO2 because they happen only when its plugged in. Plus it draws its power from USB and although it says it has 48v phantom power, its output is very low, so I'm better off putting batteries in my condenser mics. It does not come with drivers, and recommends the use of ASIO drivers. I don't mind having to use ASIO with this device because I'm using them anyway with other devices. Also, I don't know if I have things configured wrong in my music production software (I'm using Cakewalk Sonar X2) or if it's this unit, but the only way I can hear my guitar when I'm using the iO2 is if I have my headphones plugged into its headphone jack. Seems to me that I should be able to hear the guitar in the mix as well. Which I would prefer.

So I'm thinking seriously about replacing it. I don't have a lot of money to spend on a replacement, so I've set a purchase ceiling of $150. I realize this is quite low for a digital audio interface -- with MIDI in/out -- but there are some out there. And this time, before I buy, I'd like to have an idea about its quality and reliability. Amazon's and others reviews really help in this regard, but not all of the ones I've found have reviews that I could find.

So anyway, here's a list of interfaces I've found so far. If there are any standouts, let me know, please? Or if you have recommendations for one(s) not listed, I'm certainly open to them as well. My minimum requirements are 2x2 with MIDI in/out (prefer 2x4), 24bit/48kHz, monitor out, and at least one of the INs has to handle a high impedance input like guitar.

M-Audio M Track Plus w/Pro Tools Express

Lexicon Lambda w/Cubase LE

Behringer U-Phoria UMC204 w/Traction 4

Tascam US-200  w/Cubase LE

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 w/Ableton Live Lite ($25 over the budget max, but I think I'd be willing to make an exception -- this looks like one of the best choices. It's averaging 4.5 stars at Amazon reviews)

Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to provide.

Best,
Michael

szilard

Quote from: cooltouch on December 25, 2013, 11:40:43 AM
I have an Alesis iO2 just like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-IO2-Express-Recording-Interface/dp/B003HR30FU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_42

Also, I don't know if I have things configured wrong in my music production software (I'm using Cakewalk Sonar X2) or if it's this unit, but the only way I can hear my guitar when I'm using the iO2 is if I have my headphones plugged into its headphone jack. Seems to me that I should be able to hear the guitar in the mix as well. Which I would prefer.

With sonar X you should be able to hear the guitar in the mix. Do you have echo enabled on the audio channel that the guitar is tracking? If you have questions about using sonar ask on the Cakewalk forum - people are pretty responsive.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/SONAR-X-Series-f57.aspx

shawnb

Look at the Scarlett 2i2 also.  In the price range, and did you really need 4 outs?

The IO2 works fine, but with work...   They really need to make it easier right out of the box.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

szilard

It's a little over your budget, but I see amazon has the roland quad capture for $188. I use that with a laptop and it works fine for me for recording and driving soft synths using ASIO drivers on win 7.

http://www.amazon.com/Roland-QuadCapture-Audio-Interface/dp/B0054IKKXA

cooltouch

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

Szilard, I don't recall if I had the echo "button" activated or not. But I was using it with other software, too -- like Amplitube's stand-alone version and Band in a Box. And I had the same issue with them. Maybe I can tweak the settings in those programs and I could hear the guitar in the mix. I am a member over at the Cakewalk forums. It just hadn't occurred to me yet to seek help there. Mostly, I guess, because of my lukewarm feelings toward the iO2.

You mentioned the Roland Quad Capture, so I took a look at it. Nice looking unit, and it has a couple of features I like, but it also has some issues that I think I would find really annoying. Sometimes the only way you find out about these "features" is to read the negative reviews. I have found that, when it comes to reviews in general, the positive ones just exclaim how great of a product it was, how easy it was to set up, and/or how much they're enjoying it. Whereas, negative reviews will usually go into a great amount of detail about what the problem was, which to me is more helpful. I like details. So, I read a few of the 5-star reviews, a couple 4-star reviews (it's often interesting and helpful to read why they decided to ding the product for a star), same thing goes for the 3-star reviews, except even more so. But the 2-star and 1-star reviews can often be very descriptive and helpful. I ignore the ones that complain about customer service, and often installation problems when I can see that they don't have any idea what they're doing. But often these low reviews are written by people who have a lot of experience on the subject. In the case of the Roland Quad capture, a couple of things mentioned in the negative reviews were no volume control for the headphones and having to reboot the system (or software?) when changes were made to the interface. There were others, but these two come readily to mind.

Something I just thought of, and another reason why I don't care for my iO2 -- it doesn't have mixer software. My M-Audio Delta-66 PCI sound card has a full-featured mixer that's built into the chip and mixer software that fully exploits its capabilities. The Delta 66 has 6 ins and outs, although two of them are SPDIF, which I've never used. So for me it's effectively a 4 in, 4 out digital/audio interface, which I've found to be plenty for my purposes. But obviously I can't use it with my laptop and, while I've actually found the sound chip on my laptop to be very good, the standard mixer (basic Win7 mixer) is very bare-bones and not helpful at all when it comes to routing, etc. Plus, the biggest problem with using the on-board chip is accessing it. The laptop's "line-in," if you can call it that, is a mono mic input and its out is the headphone jack. Maybe I can find a USB accessory that will access the sound chip and provide a better set of ins and outs?  I dunno, haven't really looked for such a critter, even if it exists. I have another older laptop that has a PCMCIA port and I bought a Sound Blaster Audigy PCMCIA card for it. At least it has a line-in and the headphones out, is reasonably full featured, and would work as an out in a pinch, plus it has a software mixer -- of sorts. At least it has volume and pan controls for each in and out, but there is no routing capability. Even so, I'd be better off with one of those in/out devices that I'm presupposing exists. Ironically, however, I think that older laptop's sound chip outperforms the SB Audigy. It has more volume, a lot more, and is cleaner sounding -- the SB will produce occasional pops and crackles, which don't happen with the on-board chip. So -- so much for that. I'm glad I didn't pay much for that Audigy.  Most of the audio interfaces I've looked at have mixing software that is included and I consider this to be a necessity. If the concept is to have an external audio interface that replaces a sound card (or sound chip), the iO2 would be just about worthless, IMO.

Shawnb, yes I did look at the Scarlett 2i2. I could get by with 2 out in a pinch, as long as the headphone channel is high fidelity (sometimes they aren't - at least 20-20k Hz and very quiet, noisewise). Well, actually I have a very compact Midiman 6-channel mixer I'm not using anymore, which I could use in conjunction with the 2i2. It has 6 TRS ins and 2 TRS outs. Right now I'm using 2 in and 4 out on my Delta's OMNI mixer box with no headphones hooked up. I usually use headphones when I'm doing detailed work, so that would require an additional channel, or I could unplug one set of speakers, which isn't a problem because I switch off the speakers when I'm using my headphones anyway -- and then I could get by with something like the 2i2. BUT! The 2i2 does not have MIDI and I would like to have the MIDI in/out. That's the main reason why I indicated the 2i4 instead.

Best,
Michael

szilard

Quote from: cooltouch on December 26, 2013, 01:21:00 PM

In the case of the Roland Quad capture, a couple of things mentioned in the negative reviews were no volume control for the headphones and having to reboot the system (or software?) when changes were made to the interface. There were others, but these two come readily to mind.

I'm not trying to sell you on it - I just know it works for me. I'm guessing they mean it doesn't have a separate volume control for headphones? If you look at the front panel there is a knob above the phones that says output - that controls the volume for the headphones. I'm not sure what changes to the interface they are referring to. I don't have to reboot my system if I make changes to the IF - maybe if the drivers need updating.

cooltouch

Interesting. You've pointed out one of the problems when relying on reviews. Sometimes the reviewers are mistaken. At Amazon, there is a "Comment" feature, where people can respond to a reviewer's comments, and this feature is most useful when people point out a reviewer's errors or oversights. In this case, there were no corrective comments. And sometimes it's hard to tell what is what on a device just by looking at photos of it.

I know you weren't trying to sell me on it, just to inform me of its existence.
Best,
Michael

Elantric

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOCUSRITE-SCARLETT-2i4-USB-INTERFACE-/131091607302?pt=US_Computer_Recording_Interfaces&hash=item1e85ab2f06

FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2i4 USB INTERFACE $142

Scarlett 2i4 is a 2 in / 4 out USB audio interface featuring two award-winning Focusrite pre-amps and four high-quality audio outputs. Housed in an anodised aluminium unibody chassis, the Scarlett 2i4 is the perfect audio interface for musicians and digital DJs.

Get Started
Connect Scarlett 2i4 to your Mac or PC and get ready to make music! With the very best in digital audio technology and a variety of input and output options, the Scarlett 2i4 will capture and playback your sound with superb quality.

Plug straight in
The front panel has two combo XLR inputs so you can connect microphones, guitars and line level signals with absolute confidence that your sound is in safe hands. Use the "PAD" function for loud guitars or microphones, and use the "DIRECT MONITOR" control for a low-latency mix of input and playback signals.

Keep an eye on your levels
Unique signal halos let you know that you've got a good audio level for recording. Green is good and red means that your audio is too loud, and that your should lower the level control.

DJ-ready outputs
With 4 RCA outputs, a high-level headphone output and pristine audio quality, in a package ready for the road, the Scarlett 2i4 is ideal for today's digital performers and laptop DJs.

25 years of experience
Since 1985, Focusrite has been a leading manufacturer in the professional audio field. Focusrite mic pres are the choice of leading artists, recording studios and engineers around the world. Those years of audio experience ensure the Scarlett 2i4 sounds as beautiful as it looks.

High Quality Mic Preamps
Scarlett 2i4 features two high quality award-winning mic preamps. With more than 25 years of experience designing analogue equipment, Focusrite produce the best mic preamps in the industry. With Scarlett 2i4, the best of analogue and digital are combined to provide a class-leading input stage for your audio.

High Quality Outputs
With a dynamic range of over 105dB (real world performance), your music will sound amazing going out of Scarlett 2i4's professional digital to analogue conversion, and into your DJ mixer, main speakers or headphones.

MIDI I/O
On the back panel are MIDI IN and MIDI OUT ports providing connectivity to your synth modules and digital pianos.

USB bus powered
Take your Scarlett 2i4 anywhere! With USB bus powering, your Scarlett 2i4 will work anywhere your laptop will, even when using 48V Phantom power. No mains power supply required.

Rugged Metal Unibody Case
The anodised aluminium unibody chassis ensures that your Scarlett 2i4 can withstand life on the road, and looks great in your setup.

Unique Signal Halos
The gain halos which surround the gain knob for each input provide an easy way to know that the signal you're recording is the right level. It will show green when the signal is at a good level (above -24dBFS). If it turns to red, you know that the signal is too loud and is therefore clipping – if this happens, simply reduce the gain until the halo returns to green.

Direct Monitor Function
Turn the direct monitor control on the front panel of your Scarlett 2i4 and you will hear what you are recording through your speakers or headphones, without the signal having to go through your Mac or PC. This avoids the possibility of latency (introduced by your music software), which can be distracting while recording.

Included software for Mac and PC
Inside the box you'll find a code which will unlock Ableton Live Lite 8, as well as Focusrite's Scarlett plug-in suite. Compatible with all major DAWs (digital audio workstations) on Mac and PC, Scarlett plug-in suite provides EQ, Compression, Gate and Reverb – essential tools for polishing your mix.
2 in / 4 out USB audio interface
96 KHz, 24-bit conversion
2 Focusrite microphone preamplifiers
Red anodised aluminium unibody chassis
Front panel
2 line/mic/instrument combination inputs - high quality XLR/ ¼ " TRS Jack Combo
2 line/inst switches
2 illuminating "PAD" buttons
2 Gain knobs
2 Gain halo signal indicators
48V Phantom power switch
MIDI activity LED indicator
USB connection LED indicator
"DIRECT MONITOR" control
"STEREO/MONO" switch for direct monitor
Large monitor level dial (controls headphone and line level outputs)
Headphone output - ¼" TRS Jack
Headphone level knob
"HEADPHONE SOURCE" switch
Rear panel
2 balanced monitor outputs – TRS (channels 1-2)
4 unbalanced outputs – RCA Phono (channels 1-4)
MIDI IO
USB 2.0 Port
Kensington Lock slot
Included software
Ableton Live Lite 8
Focusrite Scarlett plug-in suite
Novation Bass Station
Loopmasters content
1 Year Manufacturers Warranty

cooltouch

Thanks for the heads-up, Elantric. That's the best price I've seen on a 2i4. Not only do I plan on using a good audio interface for my laptop, but my plans are to get one of the latest iPad minis with the Retina screen. And I recall your having problems interfacing the 2i4 with your iOS gear. So I'm a bit concerned about that. I guess if my Alesis iO2 will work with the iPad I can use it in a pinch.

Best,
Michael

Elantric

QuoteNot only do I plan on using a good audio interface for my laptop, but my plans are to get one of the latest iPad minis with the Retina screen. And I recall your having problems interfacing the 2i4 with your iOS gear.

Correct  - but there are a few hoops to jump through to make it work  - but its possible  -

Details here:
How to use Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 + Fishman Tripleplay with iPad on battery power

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10323.msg74429#msg74429

But IMHO the Focusrite Scarlett 2I4 is much better than any Alesis interface  - better Mic pres, lower noise - lower latency, ALL METAL BOX! better ASIO drivers if want to run it on Windows -
http://global.focusrite.com/answerbase/is-my-interface-in-16-bit-or-24-bit-on-windows

cooltouch

Thanks, I've bookmarked the thread.
Best,
Michael

jburns

i was going to post this in product reviews but mb it fits here better:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC404HD?adpos=1o1&creative=55225946401&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CL25oK2vls8CFYMmhgod8BUCrg

behringer interface for $99. that's the cost almost everywhere and i got mine for $89 on sale at B&H a few months ago. i picked it up because it has XLR outputs to main- something i a rarely ever find on anything else. for 100 bucks it has usb 2.0, midi in/out, 4 decent xlr+1/4 line/mic combo inputs with pad switch's (which can be put in stereo via the stereo/mono button as 2 separate channels both left and right. perfect for a vg) , 4 inserts, xlr and 1/4 stereo main outs, a mix 50:50 type level for inputs and usb volume, headphone out with independent volume, 2x1/4 and 2x rca monitoring outs that can be toggled between, phantom power and kensington lock. sexy looking too and seems to me built very tough.
i wanted something cheap-ish so i don't have to always keep my pro2626 running on firewire and this thing had so many features for 100 bucks i took the risk. the midas pre's are not terrible and there is some crosstalk noise when the main volume is over 90% but i haven't ran into any streaming or latency issues and the conversion sound quality is really really good. the mic inputs clip fairly easily distorting the output so there isn't alot of headroom and will have low output unless into an eq before the mains, for me i use a tube pre to make up for the volume. the best feature is it also comes with a power adapter to use without a computer. and unlike some expensive interfaces, this one functions with every input, output and knob while ran on the power cord which i think is really cool. i use this for listening to music on youtube and playing my midi keyboards so i don't have to always keep my firewire interface connected and also as a mixer for sending the vg99 xlr L/R and a samsung media player for backing tracks into my pa and the 1/4 mains into w/e house pa. for 100 bucks this lil behringer is outstanding. if anyone is on a budget or needs a small travel companion its worth a look. i would have bought it for 200 just to have xlr outputs.

whippinpost91850

Pssl has the Lexicon Lambda interface on sale for $49 ... 24 bit with MIDI

https://mail.aol.com/webmail-std/en-us/suite

No personal experience, but looks intersting