Best 24 Bit IOS Audio Interface for Live Guitar

Started by Elantric, December 14, 2013, 04:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Elantric

Just an Update

I'm having lots of success using the Line6 SonicPort VX  - its as clean and low latency as an Apogee Jam

and allows charging the iPad / iPhone during the gig

I prefer to use a high current USB LiPo Battery power pack

whippinpost91850

Elantric

Its currently misplaced in a bag somewhere ;)

Ive grown to really prefer the  Line6 SonicPort VX  - when inspiration strikes I have the tools for song writting / learning new tunes - just add iphone 6Plus! 

whippinpost91850

I think mind is  about to be too. It's allmost new ,but somethings just not right. I can't seem to get a full sound out of  Bias, Tonestack on anything else on my iPAd air

Elantric

At this hour here is what I use for 24 bit Guitar Audio Interface on iPad

or use a stock Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat with its internal USB Audio interface +Apple Lightning USB Camera adapter

or
or if on a budget - a Fender Slide $45 at zzounds
http://shop.fender.com/en-US/audio/home-studio/slide-interface/6950000000.html

admin

alfmut79

Hi guys, what a great forum!

Has anyone tried the Tascam US 2x2 as an audio interface for a live guitar rig? It looks nice and sturdy, should be 24-bit, it has Midi in/out and the price looks quite good.
And what about the Presonus Audiobox iTwo? Same specs as the Tascam, similar price.

Elantric

alfmut79

No information about those two audio interfaces.... :(
Anyway, I'm not really sure they really meet my needs. I like the idea of a USB interface for the ipad because of MIDI in/out and stereo output. Ideally I would also like to have something that charge, or at least does not suck power from the ipad. However, besides playing live, I also need to record the guitar  in a DAW like Logic or Ableton on my macbook Pro via my focusrite saffire pro 14. Adding another audio interface in the recording signal may not be a good idea.

At this point, I guess my best bet is the Irig Pro, so I can play live and go from the headphone out of the ipad into the line input of the focusrite for recording using Bias FX. Another interesting option seems to be the novation x-station....mmmm choices....is it really that good with an Ipad?

One question though. I have an Ipad 2 and I can't upgrade it now. If I use the Irig pro and the headphone out from the ipad 2, do I have to expect any low quality audio output?

Elantric

iPad 2 is minimum version for audio work  - iRig Pro with the 30 pin dock adapter works

Ipad+CCK supports the Roland UA-22  Duo-capture EX ( adds 5 pin DIN MIDI  /IO
http://www.roland.com/products/duo-capture_ex/

Its battery powered so does not drain the iPad battery -

Use with re-chargable Ni-MH AA batteries you get 4 hours ( and I suggest carry a few sets of re-chargable Ni-MH AA batteries and change every 3 hours.

Most IOS audio interfaces  are always listed here
http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

alfmut79

Is there any latency issue with the Roland UA-22, particularly with an Ipad2?. Cant' find anything about this on the web or in the forum. I take it as a good sign :)

Elantric

QuoteIs there any latency issue with the Roland UA-22, particularly with an Ipad2?. Cant' find anything about this on the web or in the forum. I take it as a good sign
No more or no less than other Audio interfaces on iPad 2, - the CPU processor speed, and memory bandwidth of your specific model iPad have far more impact on audio latency.
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/09/16/iphone-5-benchmark-geekbench/

and a 2011 era iPad 2 will be slower and higher latency than recent iPads, but usable as long as you avoid IOS 8 or IOS9
I have an iPad 2, but it remains on IOS IOS 7 , because newer IOS versions really clobber performance on older hardware.

Read these threads for latency on IOS
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8929.msg96742#msg96742

and more about UA-22 using search

alfmut79

yes I know, I should update my iPad....

I have iOS 8.1 installed on my iPad 2. Is there still a way to re-install a signed earlier version of iOS 7?

thanks for all the infos :)

Elantric

I have iOS 8.1 installed on my iPad 2. Is there still a way to re-install a signed earlier version of iOS 7?

if you locate a legal source let me know.

atracksler

Looking for an iOS interface for practice and live use.

I've narrowed it down to the Sonicport vx and the iodock ii

I have a lightning and a 30 pin iPad I would be using. Need the interface to be able to charge the iPad, since church gigs run about 6 hours (rehearsal and multiple services)

I'll be running bias fx and probably using the positive grid bt4 for a pedal.

Concerned about stability and consistency.

Anyone used both? Opinions?

Elantric

I own both those ( as well as many more documented here)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9581.0

The iPad with Lightning port is faster and will have lower latency than the old 30 pin iPad

QuoteI've narrowed it down to the Sonicport vx and the iodock ii

I would avoid the Alesis IODock ii -  its still a noisy audio interface ,and recommend the superior Focusrite Itrack Dock

So lets compare the Focusrite Itrack Dock vs Line-6 SonicPort VX

Either devices can change the iPad during use. But this ties up the lightning port on your iPad /iphone preventing further connections  - like a USB Hub  - required to adding MIDI foot pedals
The big question between those two interfaces is this :

What will you employ to change patches  mid song in a live settings?

* If you use the iPad screen to change patches  - either will work

* If you use a Bluetooth MIDI Foot controller  to change patches  - either will work , but bluetooth connection will have an additional 80ms latency for each patch change compared to a direct physically connected foot pedal ( BlueBoard/ BT-4)

* If you want to use a separate MIDI Foot controller to change patches, and charge the iPad - the iTrack Dock has an edge over the SonicPort VX  - I recommend the KMI SoftStep2 foot controller

iTrack Dock
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10364.0

SonicPortVX
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12278.0

If you use the new Apple USB Camera Adapter with power - $39, this allows you to charge the iPad and add USB hub and connect third party MIDI controllers and the Sonicport VX via USB - but its a lot of cables 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17658.0

admin

or if on a budget - a Fender Slide http://shop.fender.com/en-US/audio/home-studio/slide-interface/6950000000.html

Fender Audio Slide Audio Interface
iOS/USB Audio Interface with 24-bit/48kHz Resolution,
1 x 1/4" Input, Volume and Mix Controls, IK Mulitmedia Software,
and Rock Prodigy Software - Mac/PC/iOS

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Slide

Elantric

Info on using Zoom R8 as audio interface with iPad
http://zoomforum.us/viewtopic.php?t=19919

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://shouya1021st.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-10.html&usg=ALkJrhiCWfUkpbZ0m_YCYSa2YTOY2AzLng

iPad's external audio interface and GarageBand part 1

2016/06/04 20: 12
There was something I was curious all along recently. Recording in the DAW is tremendous importance and I really care about how to record it.
When thinking about live, I use ZOOM 's R8, but the point that the essential machine is the desktop on both Windows and Mac is actually to bind the recording (' Д `)
Because it is desktop, operation is restricted to the place where the home PC is located.
However, it is not Mac, it is thought that the performance is desk top (at the same price) high as saying Mac though it is in the head that saying that notebook is incompetent, though it is not from Windows.
However, as I wanted to record in the studio, and the desire or necessity of some sort of thing comes out, I thought about what it was because I needed mobility.
Even though it is small, it may not even take out the Mac mini. It is still not realistic because it thinks that there is no display and the keyboard and mouse are also a set.
Let's manage the iPad in our place.
Although saying that it is possible to record only by ZOOM R8, after all the track and other things like DAW are better to see.
I set the iPad as a sub monitor, take out the Mac mini, or use iPad to record with the application.
As I use the iPad, I need the audio interface, but since I can borrow it in most studio, the line like that seems to be high mobile ability.
Because baggage is only for iPad ('∀ `)
So, if you go through it, you need to have a Lightning USB - 3 camera adapter to connect to the iPad.
This has recently become a new type that can supply power.

However, this camera adapter has less information on the connection of the audio interface ('Д `)
There is no particular information on our combination with R8.
I thought it would be a bet but I got it.
There is only a decision.
For the time being I felt like connecting the R8.
Firstly with camera adapter only.
If this works, smart first ('∀ `)
... No response
('Д `) little anxiety w
Next, lightening cable feeds.
First, connect the power supply side adapter with the object of R8.
... No anxiety increases.
Then change the adapter to the big iPad.
After all, there is no reaction ('Д `)
I was impatient as to whether I had done it.
Because iOS is also up to date, what can be thought of as a cause after all ... power again?
So chew a USB hub with a common AC adapter in between ...
I arrived ('∀ `)
After all I am relieved by saying that it is a power supply, but it means a sense of power supply type camera adapter ('Д `)
And a bit disappointing at this stage.
Since ZOOM R8 can also drive the battery, we could work with only the camera adapter if we inserted the battery.
However, this camera adapter works while powering the iPad, so there is an advantage that you do not have to worry about battery power or power when recording.
Well for the time being, it is the next step as good as it is connected.
It is meaningless if connected even if it can not be used.
DAW software includes cubasis, Auria, but all are charged.
Well, I thought I was going to do it in GarageBand, but the interface is still too different from Mac's GarageBand ('Д `)
Everyone seems to be easy to say, but I do not have to tell you how to use like ordinary DAW, but I thought, but connected with GarageBand.
But I can hardly find the information on connecting with iPad 's GarageBand (' Д `) No, but there is information itself but it is concrete.
Well, good, there is no choice but to do w
Creating a new recording track.
Start recording with ...
The noise is too bad ('Д `)
Is not it useless? Does not it correspond?
Is it incomplete in CC mode, class compliance mode? Although I thought variously but shaking the main body something noises ...
In conclusion, the extension cable of the headphones became disconnected ('Д `)
Be careful, yes.
so. Recheck and reconnect again.
Clear sound came out from R8 headphone out this time ('∀ `)
A moment of peace and security w
If you are using DAW, you should know somehow about Monitoring on this part.

When you press the red maru button, the monitor turns on.
Turning on the headphone icon and monitor is said to be exclusive or when connected to the earphone jack of the iPad main unit, no sound comes out from R8.
The icon of each track is muted from the left, earphone, recording, monitor.
It seems that this monitor icon is not displayed if there is no external audio interface connected.
By the way, the earphone icon seems to work only on the iPad itself, regardless of whether it's on or off, so it seems that you do not have to worry about using the R8.
Just like active headphones icon on the audio interface turns on / off the sound output, it seems that it controls that side, basically it seems to be the output control from the iPad's earphone without the audio interface.
Since it is whether or not the monitor can be monitored via DAW, it seems to be on / off when listening with headphones at the time of recording.
By the way connection order is
iPad ⇨ camera adapter ⇨ ZOOM R 8
Output is from R8 headphone out.
Dynamic microphone connected.
What is worrisome is the latency at the time of recording.
But honestly I do not care. This can be used normally.
Effects are prepared in GarageBand, but it seems to be reverb and compp in the audio recorder.
It seems that this is not a scratchpad, so I adjusted it to the feeling you like when recording and it is recorded.
Even after you finish recording it will change properly if you change the parameters with track settings. I'm sorry if I was wrong.
Below the test whether it can actually be used as a recording device.
I sang it in accordance with the orchestra I originally recorded and recorded.
Monitoring the sound of the microphone input there via DAW.
I do not feel latency.
The iPad used is Air 2.
In earlier iPads, the latency may increase due to effects and the number of tracks to play.
Just a problem to record every track one by one.
Later cooperation with the Mac.
I do not have any information on how to do anything concretely around here w
I wonder if you do not understand it?
Well, anyway, record and save and connect to iTunes.
Select GarageBand from the application list ...
There is no change in the file Σ ('Д `)
Well what do you do, return your eyes to the iPad,

From the file list, select the file in the upper right corner and press [↑]
choose. Choose Send to iTunes, file format is wav or GarageBand. band
It seemed like something was mixed when I chose wav and it was in band format.
Then a file has been added to iTunes GarageBand.
Copy it to the desktop with drag and drop and open it with Logic Pro X, ...
It was displayed with familiar feeling ('∀ `)
There is no GarageBand in Windows, so what should I do ('Д `)
Do you select only the tracks you want to send and bounce them as songs?
By the way, when we imported it into Logic Pro X, the recording track on the microphone was a mono track.
Just sending it to iTunes with wav says stereo or something, so how about that?
I guess GarageBand on iPad seems to create tracks in mono or stereo so I can not choose input ports and output ports naturally in personal computer or Mac DAW software?
Configuration not found.
I feel inconvenient to say that this neighborhood is a pain.
It is inconvenient if it becomes automatic automatically to the stereo input and the stereo output normally in the 2in 2 out interface.
There is no buffer setting, but can not be adjusted?
If there are a lot of outputs such as 6 out, for example, this setting may increase the setting again.
For easy recording outside, I think that iPad's GarageBand can also cope well enough.
Just like drums' multi-recording and so on, if you plan on doing real things like that, it would be easy if you used cubasis or auria straightforwardly, but if there are sites that detail software is written in and so on ,I think.
Schedule of reports etc. when actually recording studio (if there is next) ('∀ `)

chappi

Quote from: Elantric on March 11, 2016, 05:50:10 AM
and a 2011 era iPad 2 will be slower and higher latency than recent iPads, but usable as long as you avoid IOS 8 or IOS9
I have an iPad 2, but it remains on IOS IOS 7 , because newer IOS versions really clobber performance on older hardware.

So my iPad Air (Ipad 5?) with 10.3.3 is not going to cut it?

Reason I ask is that I finally sat down with it last night with the iPad, MS-3, MIDX-20 and BeatBuddy and it was enjoying the way the FluxFx sequencer was staying in time with the Beatbuddy but the ipad kept locking up. Also happened with Quantiloop. I'm sure this wasn't a problem previously but I think I may have run some IOS updates before I realised that they were going to be a problem.

The interface is a cheap one, a Behringer UCA202 but before I go down the path of upgrading that I thought I'd check whether its worth it given the Ipad is on 10.3.3

Elantric

Quote from: chappi on January 25, 2018, 11:54:07 AM
So my iPad Air (Ipad 5?) with 10.3.3 is not going to cut it?

Reason I ask is that I finally sat down with it last night with the iPad, MS-3, MIDX-20 and BeatBuddy and it was enjoying the way the FluxFx sequencer was staying in time with the Beatbuddy but the ipad kept locking up. Also happened with Quantiloop. I'm sure this wasn't a problem previously but I think I may have run some IOS updates before I realised that they were going to be a problem.

The interface is a cheap one, a Behringer UCA202 but before I go down the path of upgrading that I thought I'd check whether its worth it given the Ipad is on 10.3.3

I still do not use IOS 10  = lockups

admin

QuoteRe: Best 24 Bit IOS Audio Interface for Live Guitar

At this hour  - this is my #1 choice

Melo Audio - Tone Shifter Mega IOS Audio/MIDI Foot controller
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17224.msg174338#msg174338

admin

In 2021 - the : Best 24 Bit IOS Audio Interface for Live Guitar is
XSonic XTone Pro
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25752.msg227909#msg227909

Xtone Pro has a louder  /  cleaner Headphone amp, and a bit more dynamic range vs MeloAudio Tone Shifter Mega

and its three modes of 6 footswitches is perfect for most IOS Guitar app - current fave is Mooer GE Labs (IOS)

tested using 2020 iPad Pro with USB-C connection on IOS 14.2