GK-3 does not install on a standard fender stratocaster?

Started by ylib, September 12, 2013, 12:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ylib

Willing to install GK3 on a Fender Strat standard USA using the double sided tape method.
However the height between the strings and the pickguard is to little. The GK3 element doesn't fit under and touches the strings! so in that case I'll have to make the bridge higher which is something I do not want to do given the actual action and intonation which is perfect.
Does anybody has a solution for this problem?! ???

datsunrobbie

The only solution I know that does not involve non-reversible changes is to shim the neck (or adjust with micro-tilt if your strat has it), which of course means you have to set up the intonation again. Otherwise you would have to modify the pickguard to allow the pickup to sit lower. I recently installed a Bigsby B5 on a hardtail strat, and had to adjust the neck shims 3 times to get the string height where I wanted it, and it still only took about 90 minutes to go from unplayable to gig-ready.

LukeB

Hi,
I have the same problem on my USA Strat.
I've got around it for now by raising the string holders and adjusting the neck using the micro adjustment Allen screw.
I also had to use a 1mm shim.

I think I'll get a new pick guard so I don't hack the original one and then restore the neck back to the way it was.
Raising the string holders has stiffened the tremolo action and I'm not happy.

I've had the guitar since 1990 and I DON'T want to make any mods I can reverse.  :o

Interestingly, when I asked Roland (Australia) tech support about this issue, they said that they hadn't heard of any problems with fitting the pickup to a Strat. I didn't believe them.  >:(

I think they should make available replacement pick guards with the necessary cut-out.

Cheers,
Luke

datsunrobbie

After shimming the neck and raising the bridge, did you make any adjustments to the tremolo claw? You may be able to just back off the screws for the claw a bit to loosen the tremolo action back up.

LukeB

No, I haven't made that adjustment, but I will now that you have pointed it out.

I ordered a replacement pick guard from a USA supplier via eBay last night. AU$28 delivered.
I'll feel better about it getting the neck back to normal.

I hope it no too difficult swapping it over.

Cheers,
Luke

LukeB

Hi,
I thought I would post an update on my FStrat GK3 issues.
Although after shimming the neck and raising the string holders (or whatever the thingys on the bridge that hold the strings called) the GK3 was able to be set up OK, I just wasn't happy with the way the guitar felt.

It was probably in my head but I couldn't live with it and so I removed the GK3 and returned the neck to normal until the new pick guard arrives.

Actually it was a good thing that I broke a string in the process because it allowed me to see the significant wear on the Frets.
Off to my favourite guitar shopee to have new frets fitted next week.  ::)

Anyway, because I'm impatient, I decided to do a quick install of the GK3 onto my Gibson Midtown P90.
Now I had just replaced the string on it and so I didn't want to remove them to install the pickup holder onto the bridge screws and so thanks to the height of the P90 bridge pickup I was able to use one of the adhesive strips to temporarily install the GK3 pickup onto the side of the P90.

It seems to hold just fine and adjustment is soooo easy.  Initial tests were successful and at least I can play with my GR-55 now.
The only downside is that I need to be a bit careful not to catch the end of the pickup with my hand or something. But I usually rest my hand on the bridge and I'll just have to be careful for now.

I will put the GK3 back onto the Strat when the new pick guard arrives though, but for now this will do.
If I fall in love with the GR-55, I just might get GK3 for both the Midtown and also my Gibson Les Paul Standard and do the jobs properly.

I will try to attach a few photos but I haven't been very successful in doing this so far and so if my attempt fails I'll put the pics into Picasa or somewhere else.

Cheers,
Luke

admin

Quoten doing this so far and so if my attempt fails I'll put the pics into Picasa or somewhere else.

its best to use a free offsite photo sharing service - I use www.Snapagogo.com  lately after Photobucket.com wants $$
How to post pics
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4823.0

QuoteGK-3 does not install on a standard fender stratocaster?

It will - after you follow these detailed instructions
http://roland.com/V-Guitar/howto_st.html

datsunrobbie

To avoid catching your hand on the pickup, you may want trying it turned around 180 degrees. The GR-55 has a setting that allows for switching the orientation of the pickup, and having the wire coming up from the bottom helps keep it out of the way. Check out Brent Flash's Steinbergers at this link https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=359.msg5910#msg5910

LukeB

Yes you're right.
I do remember reading that.

It's actually not too bad like it is, but I think I'll do the job properly and put it on the bridge.

I might just get another GK-3 for the Strat after the pick guard arrives.

I'm soooo impressed with the GR-55, but it is going to take some getting used to.

Cheers,
Luke

RedRum

I had problems aswell but managed to fit it in.
1mm is nothing. The pickups need to be practically touching the string, which i dont like because of potential buzz.
The oter problem is that my 4th string is slightly higher than the others to avoid a buzz problem halfway up the neck. This means one of the pick ups is more than 1mm from the string.

I wish roland would had mentioned that you can mount pick upside down. Every time i go to palm mute the wires put me off

LukeB

It's an interesting thing that although I did quite a bit of research into installing the GK-3 onto a Fender Start and didn't come across anything relating to the GK-3 pickup being too high to fit under the strings at the bridge.
I still can't believe that I'm the only one.  ???

The neck of my Strat was screwed right down onto the body without any shims. It has a very comfortable playing feel and the strings are nice and close all the way up the neck and I can't say I ever noticed any string buzzing on any frets and so I was VERY reluctant to make any adjustments to the neck.
But, I wanted to try the GR-55 and so I did.

Well the guitar just didn't feel right afterwards and I had a couple of places that one or two strings buzzed.
I had to raise the strings too far for my liking to get rid of the buzz and so I put it all back the way it was.

Although I'm reasonably happy with the result of putting the GK-3 onto the Gibson Midtown I just like the Strat better.
I don't know what it is. I think it just fits me better.

On a final note. I have to remember that I'm really a guitar player and the GR-55 is just a tool to help with the overall affect, like a very fancy stomp box, and I really don't want to now build my whole music world around it.

I know I'm new to the GR-55, but so far for all the great sounds and effects the GR-55 has, I still like the natural sound of the Strat straight through my Fender Twin Amp better.

Cheers,
Luke

gumbo

Quote from: LukeB on October 22, 2013, 06:55:12 PM
It's an interesting thing that although I did quite a bit of research into installing the GK-3 onto a Fender Start and didn't come across anything relating to the GK-3 pickup being too high to fit under the strings at the bridge.
I still can't believe that I'm the only one.  ???

I don't think you are.....

The neck of my Strat was screwed right down onto the body without any shims. It has a very comfortable playing feel and the strings are nice and close all the way up the neck and I can't say I ever noticed any string buzzing on any frets and so I was VERY reluctant to make any adjustments to the neck.
But, I wanted to try the GR-55 and so I did.

Well the guitar just didn't feel right afterwards and I had a couple of places that one or two strings buzzed.
I had to raise the strings too far for my liking to get rid of the buzz and so I put it all back the way it was.

Understood, but imagine how good it would be with an 'Internal' installation where all of that wasn't an issue...

Although I'm reasonably happy with the result of putting the GK-3 onto the Gibson Midtown I just like the Strat better.
I don't know what it is. I think it just fits me better.

Understood perfectly...much as I love my Tele, I like my Strats better..

On a final note. I have to remember that I'm really a guitar player and the GR-55 is just a tool to help with the overall affect, like a very fancy stomp box, and I really don't want to now build my whole music world around it.

The GR-55, like many of its predecessors, IS a way of life, if you really want to experience what it is capable of...for many of the 'sounds' it is your technique more than the hardware or the settings, that will make-or-break the performance...and resultantly, your own level of satisfaction...      Ultimately you will probably have to decide the extent to which you are prepared to think outside the box...

I know I'm new to the GR-55, but so far for all the great sounds and effects the GR-55 has, I still like the natural sound of the Strat straight through my Fender Twin Amp better.

That's understood as well....   but wait 'til you start playing it through a 4/10 Tweed Bassman.. ;D

Cheers,
Luke

Gudday from Oz (pretty smokey in some parts just right now...heartfelt thoughts to any members out there suffering danger or loss)

gumbo

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

LukeB

Yeah ditto that. The fires in NSW are pretty bad. I wish everyone over there the best of luck and my thoughts go out to them.
I hope they get some of the rain we've been having here in Victoria (I live just east of Melbourne) lately.  :(

On another note.
I took my Strat to a pro today to have the frets re-done and I discussed the GK-3 issue with him.

As it turned out, he's done a couple of GK-3 installation on Strats and so I asked him to make the necessary adjustments to fit the GK-3 onto mine.
He said that it will be no problems to do it without shimming the neck.  :D

After I get everything back, I'd better learn some songs the missus likes pronto.  ;)
Especially after all the money I've spent on this kit.

Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth.
Boss RC-300 Looper.
Roland FC-300 Midi foot controller.

I've got some heavy grovelling to do.  ;D

Cheers,
Luke

LukeB

Hi,
Well the new Fender Pick Guard arrived today.  ;D

Very happy with the prompt service from the supplier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-FENDER-Standard-Stratocaster-pickguard-3ply-WHITE-/300931426285?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:AU:3160

Now as soon as my Strat comes back from the pro-shop (next week sometime) I'll be able to properly fit the GK-3 Pickup and set it up for the GR-55.

I'll post some pics when it's done.
Cheers,
Luke

LukeB

Hi All,
I got my Strat back from its pro setup today and I'm very happy with the result.  ;D

Interestingly, it was not possible (at least not on my Strat) to install the GK-3 pickup without modifying the new pick guard.
Well that's what I got it for anyway, but he was going to first try without making a cut-out for the pickup.

No way  :( and so he made the cut-out.

He used one of the thin spacers that comes with the GK-3 kit and screwed the pickup to the guitar body.

It's all been a very interesting saga, but the end result is a success.

I've posted some photos of the end product on Snapagogo.
Check out my photos if interested.

http://www.snapagogo.com/user/album.php?id=1059

So what have I learned from all this. Well one certainly cannot take any notice of the Roland tech staff on this issue (and probably on any other issue either).
They still maintain that the pickup fits all standard Fender Stratocasters.
Obviously they have never tried to fit one.  ::)

Cheers,
Luke

CodeSmart

Quote from: LukeB on November 01, 2013, 01:09:43 AM
Check out my photos if interested.

Luke, we can't view them, your Snapagogo photo album is in private mode.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

LukeB

Sorry about that  ::)

Couldn't see how to change the mode. I think it OK now.  ???

http://www.snapagogo.com/user/albums.php?v=albums

Cheers,
Luke

Just tried it. Still no good. Asks me to log in although I've set Private to No.
Any clues?

Sorry for all the edits. Trying a new folder.

http://www.snapagogo.com/user/album.php?id=1097

Well this seems to work for me. And while not logged in.
Please try and let me know.
Cheers.

CodeSmart

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

gumbo

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Buzzer

I've wanted the gr55 for a long time. Finally got one. Was disappointed to discover two things, one it has no true bypass and two, the gk3 pickup in no way fits under the strings of my strat. I would never sacrifice raising or altering the bridge height so. The only conclusion is to by a replacement pick guard and route it out. The drop of three ply to the wood should give the clearance needed  and when installing the original guard the holes would disappear. I'll be working on the bypass issue.

LukeB

As you can see from above posts, I did mine years ago and it's worked fine.
I've still got the original pick guard in case I want to remove the GK3.
Good luck.
Luke.