Need Synth On/Off footswitch

Started by uptildawn, January 25, 2016, 01:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uptildawn

Hi all - new here and looking for some help.

I've got my old GR-30 up and running again after a few years of sitting idle.
I'm finding the need to be able to switch the synth on and off from a footswitch.
I don't see any way to do this on the pedalboard and there doesn't seem to be a footswitch out.... Am I wrong?
It seems very odd to only have a bypass switch on the guitar mount.

Anybody have any info on either hooking a footswitch up for this, or rewiring the pedalboard to add a switch?

I'm currently running the guitar pickups out of their own jack and don't necessarily need to have a three position switch setup on the floor... just an on/off for the synth output.

It's been a very long time since I was confident about customizing my own electronics, especially where IC's and tiny circuit paths are concerned, but I'm willing to consider anything just about, to get a switch on the floor.

Can I achieve this with an expression pedal, maybe?  Or is there a footswitch I can connect via the expression pedal jack on the unit?

mmmmgtr

There are a few ways you could do this. First, you can simply set a patch up to have zero output. Then when you need, switch to that patch. Alternatively, you could use a separate expression pedal instead  to control the volume. That would allow you to go from full volume to no volume on that patch sort of like a switch. In the past, I've wired a switch to the expression pedal input to take it from 0 right up to full volume instead of having continuous controller capability, so that's even another option. You could also wire a switch at the output of the GR-30 (outboard) to simply ground the output of the 30.

Do any of these sound like they would work for you?

whippinpost91850

On my GR55 I have a patch set to 0 output. This works for me

kenact

Here's a simple schematic for one that I use with my GR-33. One switch turn on either synth or normal guitar, and the other turns both on.

If you have the guitar on, hitting the second switch will add the synth.

If the synth is on, hitting the second switch will add the guitar.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

uptildawn

Hey!  Thanks for the replies!
I though I was supposed to be notified by email when there was a reply and haven't checked for a few days, or I would have responded sooner.

I'll check these ideas out and see what happens.

mmmmgtr - The expression pedal was an idea that was suggested to me by a keyboard player just yesterday.  That would be a simple way out for sure.  More costly, but no brain strain.  I still want to minimize the extra floor space required, but it could have its advantages, I suppose.

I thought about a switch connected to that jack, but not sure how to go about it.... I've lost my edge, where electronics ideas are concerned.  It used to come easy to just experiment and try whatever, but not so much anymore.  A schematic would be helpful, if you (or anybody) would want to post one.

kenact - The footswitch connected to the physical outputs was my original intention - Thanks for posting the schematic.  It looks doable, but what about popping noises?  Does this accomplish the muting and unmuting without popping?

whippinpost (and mmmmgtr) - I appreciate the patch set to zero idea.  I'd consider it, except for the fact that I'd need to give up 1 of every 4 foot pedals for every bank switch required to do a show.  Still, it is absolutely a solution that would only require a quick stomp on a switch and not take up anymore floor space.

Please comment further, if you have anything to add.  I'm all ears at this point.  Fortunately, I have a couple of weeks to decide what works best before I need to take it out for an actual gig.

Is there room in this unit to actually mount a single footswitch that would mute/unmute both channels?  I haven't opened it up in a long, long time.  Seems to me spare room is at a premium, IIRC.

mmmmgtr

A simple SPST switch that shorts the tip and ring of a TRS 1/4" plug should do the trick to turn the expression jack into an on/off switch.

kenact

Quote from: uptildawn on February 02, 2016, 08:10:14 PM
kenact - The footswitch connected to the physical outputs was my original intention - Thanks for posting the schematic.  It looks doable, but what about popping noises?  Does this accomplish the muting and unmuting without popping?

There's no popping.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

mmmmgtr

Quote from: mmmmgtr on February 03, 2016, 03:26:07 AM
A simple SPST switch that shorts the tip and ring of a TRS 1/4" plug should do the trick to turn the expression jack into an on/off switch.

Also,  there are a few small footprint single footswitch on ebay that could probably mount with velcro or double sided tape to the top of the GR-30. That would keep the footprint as-is and could be easily wired to do the expression pedal jack as a switch option. No mod to the GR-30, same footprint,  easy wiring change to the footswitch.  I know because I've done it.

uptildawn

YES!!!!
How sweet it is!
I found an old Kent single footswitch in a spare parts bin (I ALWAYS keep EVERYTHING) in need of a new cable.
Snipped the old one down to a short segment that wasn't open or shorted out, wired it up to a TRS plug and VOILA!
No sound/sound - no pop!

I really appreciate all the suggestions!  All of them were great, but this one just worked perfect - no cost, all spare parts, I can even live with the small bit of floor space the footswitch occupies in the wedge between pedalboard and GR30 unit.

Thank you, thank you!
;D