Frippertronics II

Started by Cricket, July 22, 2013, 03:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cricket

Ok.  With Frippertronics on my mind lately, and lots of time spent employing Shawnb's ingenious workaround, I thought I'd throw a couple of tangential questions out there.   I figure there are enough Frippertronic fans here that someone may well know...

Did anyone actually see any of the shows from the 1979 Frippertronic tour?   If so, did RF solo over the pieces that became Let The Power Fall ?  Any video I've ever seen from then he invariably does.  And yet, something like 1984 seems so densely constructed... 

Also, if anyone happens to have perhaps an mp3 transfer of the bootleg Pleasures In Pieces ?   A long shot, but you never know.

Peace,

C

aliensporebomb

I was too young.  I knew it was going on but nobody I knew who was into Fripp even had their drivers licenses and neither did I!

I also look for bootlegs of said material.  it's almost like Fripp thought those solos were kind of gratuitous and had them erased, kind of like the solo on the original version of "Matte Kudasai".

I don't think they are superfluous at all - anyone who finds a copy I'd love to hear it.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Cricket

Quote from: aliensporebomb on July 22, 2013, 09:12:10 PM
I was too young.  I knew it was going on but nobody I knew who was into Fripp even had their drivers licenses and neither did I!

I also look for bootlegs of said material.  it's almost like Fripp thought those solos were kind of gratuitous and had them erased, kind of like the solo on the original version of "Matte Kudasai".

I don't think they are superfluous at all - anyone who finds a copy I'd love to hear it.

Yeah.  Me too.  I would have had no clue in 1979.  '81 was "the year of the Fripp" for me with Discipline.   And a friend of mine picked up Let The Power Fall, which I kept on extended loan until I scraped up the spare $5.99 to buy my own copy.

I think the non-existence of a lot of this material fits Fripp's own ethic, though, as I understand it.  "The sound of the music is not the Music."   So it's the whole thing:  music, performer, audience, place.   Not just the notes.  I'm pretty sure he does not care for the taping of his shows, and not solely for financial reasons. 

On the other hand, some of the lack of solos comes from the technology itself:  create the loop, then solo over it, so what he was left with was the loop on tape.  Only shows recorded in the room have the solos.

There are a fair number of both for sale on DGM:  loop only tracks and loop plus solo.   Even so, I've heard Pleasures In Pieces is pretty amazing for people who like this stuff.   You can still buy it on vinyl on eBay and whatnot.  Not cheap, though.  A funny note:  the producer on that record is listed as Elwood P. Dowd.  Heh, heh.

And I do assume he soloed over the performances on Let The Power Fall.  Even so, when I listen to something like 1984, I have to wonder where... it just seems so dense.   What could you add to it?   

Perhaps it's just my lack of imagination.  ;D

aliensporebomb

'81 was a big year for Fripp for me too.  I saw Discipline on the store shelves and went out of my mind since I wasn't aware they had reformed until I was able to read the Musician Magazine article which had Fripp's tour diary.

I was aware of the older King Crimson and I had Red, In The Court, Lark's Tongues and Starless and Bible Black but the later stuff was a huge influence on me getting into Roland guitar synthesizer equipment, and Robert and Andy's Fripp and Summer's recordings of course.

Elantric

Cricket

@Elantric -

Heh, heh.  Have those in my Plex queue already for repeated viewing... esp when I feel the need for a little inspiration.  Good call though, especially for anyone who is a fan and hasn't seen.  Also this one... crappy transfer, but a good interview with interesting music.

ffata

This link my be helpful.
They don't sell the stuff, they stress that's what DGM is for.
They're more of an archive and have lotsa info on the Fripp & Eno, Frippertronics/Exposure eras.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~frippertronics/Frippertronics.htm

Cricket

Thx for the link.   I'll check it out.

Have no problem w purchasing the show directly from RF if it's for sale.   Or others for that matter.   Have just heard that the show from the Kitchen, NYC, recorded on Pleasures In Pieces is really something.

I'm sure they all are, in one way or another.

Athelstan12

Sheesh....You guys make me feel like an endangered species-discussing Robert Fripp, someone I first saw perform at a College Venue at Cambridge ((England) back in the late 60's, me and my friends thought the music he and his band played, was amazing, but i'd say he left most of his (mainly College Students) audience slightly bewildered, I guess they weren't quite ready for Fripp's progressive music-even by the radical musical genre of the day, he was considered very avante gard, -the stuff he did with Soft Machine was amazing, seems like a hundred years ago now.........

aliensporebomb

I don't recall Fripp ever being officially or unofficially being part of the Soft Machine collective (Holdsworth certainly was) but no surprise there. 

You probably saw an early version of Giles, Giles & Fripp - either way you were lucky to see such an iconoclastic musician appear early on.  Cool story.