Korg Z3

Started by jodama, March 09, 2017, 05:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jodama

I really have no idea where to put this, as this isn't a review...rather, a question (or two):

Are there any Korg Z3s out there? I have one on its way to me (altered to accept 13-pin input), and I'm having a hard time finding anything on it. Wayne Joness' page seems to be the only information in the world (besides the manual, which I've read).

I was pretty pumped about essentially getting a Yamaha TX81Z in guitar synth form, but it seems not much in the way of programming can be done. I didn't realize that before I bought it (not that it would have changed anything), but it's a bummer none the less.

I'm just wondering what the options are for it. Can patches be loaded? Are there any patches anywhere? Supposedly Unisyn can be used to do basic editing, but I can't seem to find a copy of it. I have Midiquest, and no dice with that...so I may be stuck with manipulating hex input somehow.

Does anyone have wisdom to share?

admin

http://www.joness.com/gr300/korgz3.htm

Its from 1989, predates 13 pin ( it's a 24 pin unit) as stock 
Probably the very last 24 pin MIDI Guitar processor.

The Roland GR-50 (with 13 pin GK-2 pickup ) was released same year, along with Roland dropping all 24 pin guitars and internal kits a year earlier

Wayne quote's
Fastest and Most Accurate Vintage Pitch-to-MIDI Synthesizer (24-pin Format)

Not too many sold therefore you might be going alone
One recently sold on Reverb -

https://reverb.com/item/2799715-korg-z3-guitar-synthesizer-with-zd3-driver-pickup-and-midi-cables

Tortuga

Hi, I'm a Z3 owner as well. There are a few universal editor/librarians that will program a Z3, Unisyn being the one I have. Am in the process now of finding an old floppy drive to run it, but there are downloads of it and others available for purchase online.
I also have a Behringer bcr2000 from which I'm hoping a template can be made. Would anyone have input on that scenario?

admin

drkam6

I own two Korg Z3's. Also own the GM70, and the MC1.

Wayne's quote is absolutely correct. The Z3 is the fastest 24-pin pitch-to-MIDI converter, and a beautiful FM synth by itself. I use them with my GR G-303 controller.

I haven't edited their patches, I just use effects on them. They all sound superb to me.