now I've seen it all

Started by Tony Raven, February 20, 2016, 01:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Raven

Maybe it's just a clueless seller... or perhaps there's a coming fad for the "retro" gear.

But I'm surprised to find a VG-8EX selling for $499, the same price as a used VG-99. ???

https://reverb.com/item/1394079-roland-vg-8-v-guitar-system?_aid=pla&currency=USD&pla=1&gclid=CPDK7_yeh8sCFcsmhgodCxcHWg

http://www.musicgoroundlittleton.com/p/446489/used-roland-vg-99-guitar-effect-floorboard?gclid=CI2-qPyeh8sCFUJbhgodQD8BBg

(Actually, with s/h, the 99 is $9 cheaper.)

Kids today, eh? :P

Rhcole

"For Sale" doesn't mean anybody will buy it... :P

lespauled

Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  So, I could have a pack of gum, and post it for 500K.  Doesn't mean I'm going to get it.

Chumly

T206 Honus Wagner https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T206_Honus_Wagner

QuoteThe most famous T206 Honus Wagner is the "Gretzky T206 Honus Wagner" card. The card's odd texture and shape led to speculation that it was altered. The Gretzky T206 Wagner was first sold by Alan Ray to a baseball memorabilia collector named Bill Mastro, who sold the card two years later to Jim Copeland for nearly four times the price he had originally paid. Copeland's sizable transaction revitalized interest in the sports memorabilia collection market. In 1991, Copeland sold the card to ice hockey figures Wayne Gretzky and Bruce McNall for $451,000. Gretzky resold the card four years later to Wal-Mart and Treat Entertainment for $500,000 for use as the top prize in a promotional contest.

The next year, a Florida postal worker won the card and auctioned it at Christie's for $640,000 to collector Michael Gidwitz. In 2000, the card was sold via Robert Edward Auctions to card collector Brian Seigel for $1.27 million. In February 2007, Seigel sold the card privately to an anonymous collector for $2.35 million. Less than six months later, the card was sold to another anonymous collector for $2.8 million. In April 2011, that anonymous purchaser was revealed to be Ken Kendrick, owner of the Arizona Diamondbacks.[3] These transactions have made the Wagner card the most valuable baseball card in history.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

gumbo

...just wait until my mint-condition-with-original-box Roland CP-40 hits the airwaves...
...then I can retire IN STYLE...    ;D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Chumly

I had a TB303 & TR606 when they first came out, I believe I paid $800 Canadian for the pair. I used them for their initial intended purposes, to produce realistic? bass and drum tracks for the duo I was in.  I mixed my  backing tracks to stereo cassette using a Tascam 234 four track cassette. Those were the pre-MIDI days of Roland Sync and FSK.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Rhcole

I had a TR 909 that I bought used for $175. Thought it sucked. Sold it for $800 some years later and had guys telling me how much money I left on the table.
Worth even more now, at least to some people.

...not expecting that kind of love for the VG-8, however.

Tony Raven

Oh, certainly, there's goombahs who figure they're gonna get rich & retire from one sale -- eBay & Reverb have prime examples, like the seller who has two Les Pauls (1959, 1960) up for just $999,999 each ::) & then expects an extra $170 shipping!! (Experts say that's like 3x-5x what they'd get at auction, AND the most likely to be counterfeit.)

Three VG-88 on eBay, $350-$425... none v2. Actually, a few have sold at that price the past two months -- looks like a good time to bail if you've got excess gear. ;)

Anyway, to go more apples-to-apples, a Guitar Center wants $227 for a non-EX VG-8, & is proud that this is a "Price Drop."

I got my expanded VG-8 last year for a shade over $100, & that seems to be what they're actually worth. My thought -- other than being amused by the numbers -- is that the 2014/2015 surfeit of inexpensive older VG/GR units has evaporated. As with the 808/909 some years back, these things were gathering dust & could barely command reasonable s/h. Have they suddenly gone from "old junk" to "vintage"? Did some new hot player have one on The Tonight Show & I missed it? And is the VG-99 about to run into the downward slope of that cycle?

Elantric

QuoteI got my expanded VG-8 last year for a shade over $100, & that seems to be what they're actually worth. My thought -- other than being amused by the numbers -- is that the 2014/2015 surfeit of inexpensive older VG/GR units has evaporated. As with the 808/909 some years back, these things were gathering dust & could barely command reasonable s/h. Have they suddenly gone from "old junk" to "vintage"? Did some new hot player have one on The Tonight Show & I missed it? And is the VG-99 about to run into the downward slope of that cycle?

I suspect used VG-8EX prices are going higher since we mention their value and exclusive features  here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11090.0

mooncaine

Quote from: lespauled on February 22, 2016, 05:44:53 PM
Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  So, I could have a pack of gum, and post it for 500K.  Doesn't mean I'm going to get it.
My gal's into antiques, and as she likes to put it when I show her something that's obviously priced too high:

"Askin' ain't gettin'."