GR-30 - Playing the GR-30 from a keyboard problem

Started by Robbin-Rohner, May 25, 2017, 10:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbin-Rohner

I have both a GR-20 & GR-30.
I can play the GR-20 with my Yamaha MM6 using a MIDI cable,
just plug n play, however, I have not been able to do that with the GR-30.
They both play fine with my Godin Freeway SA Guitar.
Anyone have an idea as to why the GR-30 does not respond to the keyboard?
I have done the factory reset of all parameters, to no avail.
Robbin

admin

See GR-30 FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7741.0

5 pin MIDI cable from Keyboard MIDI Out to GR-30 MIDI In

on GR-30 - set to "Local off" / poly receive mode

Press  "EDIT/PLAY" button prior to powering on - the  GR-30 will boot with in "local off poly receive mode".

It expects than all data on the first systemchannel, as defined in midi/channel.
(Please note that outgoing MIDI data still behaves according to 1p -> poly, one channel or 1-> 6 mono channels.)

See page 78
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GR-30_OM.pdf

Robbin-Rohner

Thank you. Although that procedure does indeed work to switch to "Local off",
the exact instructions for the procedure are at the top of page 82 and are just a tiny bit different.
I tried them both to no avail. The display indicates correctly, but it still does not work.
I tend to believe there is a problem with the midi circuitry,
but that does not at all effect the way it plays with a Guitar, which is perfect.
I will include the GR-30 when my sale of the Godin Freeway SA and Roland VG-8ex
renews Sunday evening at 7:00 pm Pacific time.
Thank you again for taking the time to reply.
Robbin

shawnb

The most important thing is to line up the channels.   That is likely the problem.  If you can change the output channel on your keyboard, try all of 'em from 1-16 until you get output.  That will confirm the issue.  You probably just have channels set differently between your GR-20 & GR-30.

Pages 71 & 72 in the manual explain setting channels on the GR-30.  I assume the keyboard will be sending on one channel, set the GR-30's "starting" channel to the keyboard's channel.

Local Control OFF is only necessary if you are afraid of MIDI input collisions, e.g., from both your GK and from an external MIDI source.  This happens, for example, when you have your GK cable plugged in, and MIDI IN & MIDI OUT are connected to a separate sound module.  In that case, the MIDI in from the sound module may duplicate performance from the GK...  If you are not using a GK, then you won't get MIDI input collision, and I don't think Local Control will make a difference. 

When I play my GR-30 from my FTP, for example, I don't bother changing local control.  I think using the keyboard will be the same. 

However... 

The CRITICAL setting for playing with a keyboard is "Polyphonic Receive".  Page 82 in the GR-30 manual explains the configuration needed to get a keyboard to work properly when playing chords.

(Polyphonic Receive ON automatically turns Local Control OFF just to be safe...  This is the setting I think Elantric referred to above.)
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Robbin-Rohner

Thanks ShawnB. I have the polyphonic issue worked out, and that's not the problem.
Other than the midi circuitry having been damaged,
the only other remaining possibility is Midi channel settings, as you mentioned.
This had occurred to me, but I thought that since the GR-20 had been plug n' play,
so ought the GR-30 be. But I could be wrong.
Therefore I am going to try changing the keyboard's midi output channels,
as you suggest. If that doesn't work, then the only conclusion I can come to
is the Midi circuitry is indeed damaged.
However, the GR-30 patches play perfectly using the Godin's or GK pickups.
and I will add it to my sale with no increase in price.
I will announce it later today in my eBay sale, and post it in the forum.
Robbin Rohner

Robbin-Rohner

Well, I've pretty much concluded the midi in and out ports are Kaputt!
My Yamaha outputs simultaneously on midi channels one two and three,
the main, dual and split voices.
The GR-30 recognizes channels one through sixteen, also simultaneously,
so does the GR-20.

Still, it works perfectly as a guitar synth, and all the patches can be accessed
using the GK or Godin Freeway pickups, or the pedals and buttons.
but it can't communicate with external midi equipment.

TheChris

I'm trying to do this as well - however - not with a keyboard - but playing MIDI sequences from my Laptop.  I see MIDI messages being transmitted, but the GR-30 doesn't make a peep.

I'm about to just plug a controller into it and see what it does.

Let me know if you've made any headway.

Thanks.

admin

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21034.msg151421#msg151421

shawnb  wrote>
The most important thing is to line up the MIDI channels.   That is likely the problem.  If you can change the output channel on your keyboard, try all of 'em from 1-16 until you get output.  That will confirm the issue.  You probably just have channels set differently between your GR-20 & GR-30.

Pages 71 & 72 in the manual explain setting channels on the GR-30.  I assume the keyboard will be sending on one channel, set the GR-30's "starting" channel to the keyboard's channel.

Local Control OFF is only necessary if you are afraid of MIDI input collisions, e.g., from both your GK and from an external MIDI source.  This happens, for example, when you have your GK cable plugged in, and MIDI IN & MIDI OUT are connected to a separate sound module.  In that case, the MIDI in from the sound module may duplicate performance from the GK...  If you are not using a GK, then you won't get MIDI input collision, and I don't think Local Control will make a difference. 

When I play my GR-30 from my FTP, for example, I don't bother changing local control.  I think using the keyboard will be the same. 

However... 

The CRITICAL setting for playing with a keyboard is "Polyphonic Receive".  Page 82 in the GR-30 manual explains the configuration needed to get a keyboard to work properly when playing chords.

(Polyphonic Receive ON automatically turns Local Control OFF just to be safe...  This is the setting I think Elantric referred to above.)