VG-99 - USB Audio monitoring?

Started by RushFan, June 10, 2008, 07:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RushFan

I'm able to record sound from the VG-99 through USB if I set it to be the recording device in a sound program such as Wave Studio, but I can't hear anything while I'm playing. The obvious reason seems to be that it's because the sound is not going through my Sound Blaster at any point.
How can I hear it on the computer at the same time? I do have the Monitor enabled in the Control Panel in XP, and have tried with and without Monitor on the VG, but cannot hear while playing. Nothing seems to come out of the headphones while I have the USB plugged in, either. I'm perplexified! I can run it from the headphone jack on the VG to the mic input on the sound card, and I can hear it at the same time that way, but I don't like doing it that way for various reasons.
Any help would be appreciated on this.

Elantric

You should use the VG-99 as your sound card. The steinberg ASIO spec only allows ONE ASIO device, and for best results - make the VG-99 your sound card - connect your active near field monitor speakers directly to the VG-99.

Even with "work-arounds" like using the third party ASIO4ALL driver, you will always run into latency and timing issues if you attempt to assign  the VG-99 as your "Audio Input", and your Sound Blaster as your Audio output. Also the VG-99 typically has superior audio specs than your sound blaster, and you will benefit with making a better recording if your follow the VG-99 Manual (page 74) and Use the VG-99 as your USB sound card while recording.

If you had a higher end audio card, I'd say then feed the VG-99 Audio Sub Outs (XLR  balanced line level) into your professional Audio Interfaces's +4db Balanced Line Input. and use that to record. But Your Sound blaster does not have those type inputs.  For most people, configuring the VG-99 as your only sound card will deliver optimized performance, with minium latency, and best signal to noise ratio.

RushFan

Thanks for the reply. I will try using the VG-99 as the Audio Out, though I'm not sure what an "active near field monitor speaker" is exactly (but I read that as 'headphones'). I'm apparently in a bit over my head here with the technical aspects. What am I, an engineer or a guitarist? heh. I have a Sound Blaster Xi-Fi, which delivers nice sound, and it's pretty good recording directly into the mic jack with no noise. I'm sure it could be a lot better though.
I'll have to look at what's available for higher end audio cards, since I have no ability to connect MIDI either.

Elantric

google for "active near field monitor speaker"
http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=27796
Read
www.tweakheadz.com

and
VG-99 Review
http://www.tweakheadz.com/review_of_the_roland_vg99.htm

vanceg

What are you using for speakers when you play into the computer?

Vance

Quote from: RushFan on June 11, 2008, 02:53:50 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will try using the VG-99 as the Audio Out, though I'm not sure what an "active near field monitor speaker" is exactly (but I read that as 'headphones'). I'm apparently in a bit over my head here with the technical aspects. What am I, an engineer or a guitarist? heh. I have a Sound Blaster Xi-Fi, which delivers nice sound, and it's pretty good recording directly into the mic jack with no noise. I'm sure it could be a lot better though.
I'll have to look at what's available for higher end audio cards, since I have no ability to connect MIDI either.

RushFan

Quote from: vanceg on June 11, 2008, 04:05:12 PM
What are you using for speakers when you play into the computer?

Just some Altec Lansing computer speakers. They are good enough for my needs in this case.

I did actually read that one review, sustainiac. If I understand it correctly, when it says "The VG99 functions as its own USB MIDI interface and also as a 2in/2out Audio interface" that means you can use the USB rather than a MIDI cable? If so, that's great. The VG-99 is a big step up for me, so I'm just trying to get a handle on everything. The manual, as you probably know, is kind of lacking in some areas.