VG-99 - Windows 8 driver installation

Started by zjerry, August 30, 2012, 01:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trev27

Quote from: zjerry on August 30, 2012, 02:24:07 PM
Ok I've figured out how to have the Windows 7 drivers working in Windows 8.

If anybody needs this here is the detailed guide:

1.   Edit the gr55_7d_v100\Files\64bit\Files\RDIF113.INF file from extracted drivers .zip with notepad

2.   Under the [Roland.NTamd64.6.2] section (which happens to be the Windows 8 identifier) there is the line:
      ;; not supported

3.   Remove that line

4.   Add two new lines immediately under the [Roland.NTamd64.6.2] section:
      ;; Windows8
      %RDID0113DeviceDesc%=RDID0113Install, USB\VID_0582&PID_0127 ; GR-55

5.   In the section [Version] Find and remove line containing
      CatalogFile=RDID1113.CAT

6.   Save file

7.   At point 5 we've removed driver signing because otherwise Windows will detect our changes in the .inf file but... Windows 8 does not support unsigned drivers. Happily, there's a way round this problem too:

8.   Open start screen then open charms by pointing to the upper right corner with mouse

9.   Select Settings (right bar)/More PC Settings (at bottom)

10.   Then go General/Advanced Startup/Restart Now/Troubleshoot/Advanced Options/Windows Startup Settings/Restart

11.   After reboot from displayed options select 7th which temporally removes requirement for drivers to be signed

12.   Windows starts, point to device manager by right clicking on the lower left corner of desktop or start screen

13.   Select GR-55 from unknown devices

14.   Right click->Update driver->manual

15.   Direct to the folder with the modified .inf file from point 1.

16.   Agree to install unsigned driver in the warning dialog

17.   Enjoy your GR-55 in Windows 8 x64 final edition

Cheers that works excellent thank you :)
Takamine EG 530 electro Acoustic
Ibanez RG2610
Ibanez RG1570
Aria PE DLX

zjerry

Exactly same kind of hack-edit as for gr-55 works for Boss RC-300 as well  :)

audiomusic

I wanna Thank all You Guys who made it possible For  usb drivers to work in win8 64. Zjerry's steps on how to install ,And Jim Williams VG-99.(RDIF1067.inf) copy paste it.  THANK YOU.

amlittley

Earlier in this thread, I posted that the drivers would work on an upgrade from windows 7 (64bit) to windows 8.
Strangely, the drivers have since ceased to work.
I followed the instructions on modifying the windows 7 drivers and installing them on Windows 8, and now I have working drivers once again.

My thanks to those on this forum that figured out this modification, it is quick, simple and effective.
It also, unfortunately, shows the lack of interest form the equipment manufacturers in supporting their equipment once it has been sold to you.
Exceptions to this rule are companies such as ART, who a few years ago helped me with a piece of equipment that they had not produced for more than a decade, and Line 6, whose customer service I have always found excellent. (just wish they had included guitar to midi conversion in their latest variax or even in their  pod hd floorboard).

Apologies for getting a little off topic toward the end..

reba

Quote from: zjerry on August 30, 2012, 02:24:07 PM
Ok I've figured out how to have the Windows 7 drivers working in Windows 8....

Thank you so much for this workaround. It worked without problems for me. Well done zjerry!
Godin Mulitac ACS Nylon, Washburn Monterey Studio, Hagström Classical Guitar, Roland GR-55, Kurzweil K1000, Cubase 7, Halion Symphonic, Halion Sonic, Native Instruments Komplete 9

groovey1

The GR55 Windows 8 driver is now available. I had just finished modifying my INF file as described and got a hunch to check before going through the un-signed drivers workaround. And sure enough, there it is. Just downloaded and will install now.

Elantric

Thanks for the news!

QuoteBut it typically takes Roland 3 months later ( after the announcement) to finally release working drivers. I figure spring 2013.

Looks like they only took 3 months this time.

I wonder if they also have a Win8 driver for the VG-99?

EDIT - looks like both VG-99 and VB-99 now have official Windows 8 drivers.
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=information&id=62483215

QuoteIt also, unfortunately, shows the lack of interest form the equipment manufacturers in supporting their equipment once it has been sold to you.

I know lots of very good gear that was discontinued simply because the management at the company did not want to invest the energy  / manpower to develop an audio driver update to support the latest OS.

I have a $800 Sonorus STUDI/O dual ADAT card that became obsolete in 1999  - mostly because there are no drivers beyond Windows 98/NT

baatkarlo

http://www.rolandus.com/support/eula/vg99_win8d_v100.zip

But the only problem is, it worked on Win8, and now Win8.1 has broken it and there is no option to easily set Windows to allow unsigned driver installation!

Help!
Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play.

admin

Lack of VG-99 USB Driver for Windows 8.1 Driver - a work around (zjerry)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8953.msg64329#msg64329

and more details below for a similar work around for the lack of Roland GR-55 USB Driver for Windows 8.1 64bit.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9589.msg68857#msg68857