GR-55 - Some Patchs dont work..Newbie

Started by legendrockhero, December 10, 2013, 02:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

legendrockhero

Hey dudes,
          Just joined up yesterday. Have a GR55 and just started downloading some of the lads patch's but some of them don't seem to work. They just seem to change the name and keep the original pcm tones that were there before, I think??? any inputs? prob just some finger trouble or a well known problem. Anywho, any input will be welcome. cheers

Elantric

What application are you using

* Roland GR-55 Librarian ?

or

* Gumtown's GR-55 Floorboard Editor?

legendrockhero

sloopdawg

mine seems to be doing the same thing (using the floorboard) the name changes but the tones stay the same. I'm sure it's something i'm doing wrong but i just enter it manually so no problem just takes a little more time. love the floorboard by the way if your not using it your missing out on something special

Elantric

Post the problem patch here so others may help track down the problem

How to download GR-55 patches and upload to the forum
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3260.0

sloopdawg

I'll try to explane the best I can...
UnInstalled and ReInstalled Driver
Have the E-MU Midi to USB Connecter Connected
I have the GR55 Floorboard up and running and it is aknowledging/reading the 55
Right now I have User 23-1 Feedback Guitar on the 55 and the Floorboard is reading it, everything matches up
Now I click File ? Load Patch File ? Go to my GR55 File Folder ? Choose AltoChoir ? Click Connect
It shows AltoChoir on the 55 Screen, Shows the name on the floorboard and shows all the parameters
but the tone is still playing the Feedback patch, does it everytime.
Something just isn't hooking up, it switches everything but the tone
???

Elantric

QuoteUnInstalled and ReInstalled Driver

I assume this is the Roland GR-55 USB Driver?

What is your operating system?
Understand Roland has created GR-55 USB Audio / MIDI drivers for all operating systems (Except OSX 10.9 Mavericks) and posts them for download here:
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=GR-55

QuoteHave the E-MU Midi to USB Connecter Connected

Why are you using " E-MU Midi"?  Is this because you have an error using the proper Roland GR-55 USB Driver?
Read how to install the GR-55 USB Audio / MIDI driver here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3050.0

If you must use the E-MU Midi, be sure:

EMU MIDI out feeds GR-55 MIDI IN

GR-55 MIDI out feeds E-MU MIDI IN

And you Must assign the proper MIDI I/O connection method (GR-55 USB MIDI Driver or E-MU MIDI) in the preferences section of the GR-55 Librarian, or Gumtown's GR-55 Editor.

sloopdawg

WoW!!! What in the HELL have I been smokin'!!For some reason I was under the impression that the only way it worked was with the MIDI?USB (E-MU). Used the USB?Square thingy and it works like a charm. I've been fighting this off and on for awhile and have been transfering the parameters manually (talk about time consumming) but have come up with a few weird tones in the process. Can't thank you enough for pointing out the obvious. I installed the driver with the chord i'm using now and then would change over to the E-MUpretty much chasing my tail. Anyway thanks again

Elantric

Im happy to hear the good news.

Dont feel bad, many other GR55 users will be helped by this thread.

Dewittian

I had the same issue but solved it by not plugin in my DAW interface when running Librarian. 
Gear:
Laptop windows 10
GR55
Tascam US1800
Ibanez with GK3 pickup and M-Audio Keystation

sleazerockz

I have this problem too...
I connect the gr-55 via USB and open up the librarian and open the patch but the sound does not change? Just the name...

shawnb

This has happened to me frequently also.  More here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9808.msg70344#msg70344

QuoteI've run into this, it's a driver issue.  The patch names change, but the patches don't...   I believe it's covered elsewhere here, not sure I've seen a definitive solution, though.

This happened to me a lot when re-arranging patch order in the Librarian.  Now I double-check things a lot...

IIRC#1, it happened sometimes when there was a potential conflict, e.g., using the Librarian and loading patches while the GR-55 ASIO driver was open in your DAW, or using the Librarian with the GR-55 open with the Floorboard editor.  Something like that. 

IIRC#2, it happened sometimes after an IO error; it's subsequently hosed until your next reboot.  E.g., if you tried to write a patch, but you forgot to hook up a cable or select the right MIDI device in Librarian.  I think the buffer gets confused in situations like this, and it's hazardous to try further write operations.   

Do all the basics - reboot & make sure all drivers are current (on your PC and the GR55 firmware).  Retry loading the patches in a very simple config, don't do anything else with the GR-55 driver other than the Librarian session after the reboot (no DAW or Floorboard activity).  Very important - ensure your cabling is correct and the proper device is selected within Librarian BEFORE attempting to write the patches.

Hope this helps.   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

sleazerockz

Yeah! It worked with the floorboard for me!
Thx so much for the help! :)