Roland Pickup Version in Fender GC-1?

Started by Infi-del, March 20, 2016, 08:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infi-del

Picking up a GC-1 in a trade. It's a 2007. I own a newly purchased GK-3. Will the pickup in the GC-1 be as recent a product as what's out there to be purchased new? Or should I install the pickup I have and replace what's there? I'm of course gonna test it and play with it before I do anything. If it works fine and sounds fine no need to do anything. But there will be many upgrades to this guitar as time goes on and the MAIN reason I'm getting it is the Roland compatibility. So that's a priority should there be room for improvement.
My ebay user name is Doom_Enterprises you can see my feedback here... http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=doom_enterprises&ftab=AllFeedback

ADP

The GC-1 wasn't available in 2007. It'll be a Roland-ready Strat with a GK-2 pickup and 21 frets. That doesn't mean it'll necessarily be any worse from an electronic point of view, but you'll find that the neck isn't just as good as on the more recent GC-1 with 22 frets.

It wouldn't make much difference if you changed the pickup for the newer version, but you should be aware that you won't be able to swap the pickup for a GK-3 easily; the connector on the GK-2 pickup is larger than on the GK-3.

gumbo

Quote from: ADP on March 20, 2016, 08:34:22 PM
The GC-1 wasn't available in 2007. It'll be a Roland-ready Strat with a GK-2 pickup. That doesn't mean it'll necessarily be any worse from an electronic point of view, but you'll find that the neck isn't just as good as on the more recent GC-1.

It wouldn't make much difference if you changed the pickup for the newer version, but you should be aware that you won't be able to swap the pickup for a GK-3 easily; the connector on the GK-2 pickup is larger than on the GK-3.

True, the multiplugs on the end of the pickup connection cables do differ in size according to which pickup you are looking at...GK2A is 2.0mm pitch, GK3 is 1.5mm pitch...

BUT  !!

You would actually need to ALSO swap the pre-amp board as there are changes in components between the two models, and if all you currently have is an EXTERNAL GK3 pickup, then you've also got the problem that the Pre-amp boards are NOT interchangeable due to size, layout and configuration.

..to make the conversion you would need the pre-amp board from an INTERNAL GK3 Kit.

All more trouble than it is worth, IMHO...
..if what hardware you are using gives you the opportunity to specify input from a GK2A pickup, just do that ...   ;) 

Cheers,
Peter

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Infi-del

Quote from: gumbo on March 21, 2016, 03:34:58 AM
True, the multiplugs on the end of the pickup connection cables do differ in size according to which pickup you are looking at...GK2A is 2.0mm pitch, GK3 is 1.5mm pitch...

BUT  !!

You would actually need to ALSO swap the pre-amp board as there are changes in components between the two models, and if all you currently have is an EXTERNAL GK3 pickup, then you've also got the problem that the Pre-amp boards are NOT interchangeable due to size, layout and configuration.

..to make the conversion you would need the pre-amp board from an INTERNAL GK3 Kit.

All more trouble than it is worth, IMHO...
..if what hardware you are using gives you the opportunity to specify input from a GK2A pickup, just do that ...   ;) 

Cheers,
Peter

I'm using a GR-55 currently but I have plans to eventually get an Atares floor board. Would I be better off eventually installing the Gk-3 internal module?
My ebay user name is Doom_Enterprises you can see my feedback here... http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=doom_enterprises&ftab=AllFeedback

Elantric

QuoteI'm using a GR-55 currently but I have plans to eventually get an Atares floor board. Would I be better off eventually installing the Gk-3 internal module?

Very little difference (GK-2A vs GK-3) IMHO.

Infi-del

Quote from: Elantric on March 21, 2016, 11:07:02 AM

Good to know. I will just leave it be.

Thank you everyone.

RogerVG8EX

Quote from: Elantric link=topic=17656. msg125810#msg125810 date=1458583622

Well, the GK-2a has a higher output and the radius of the pickup is not adjustable so for Strats with high action you don't need to change anything but if your action is low you'll need to cut the pickguard. For Les Pauls and Floyd Rose equipped guitars, the GK-3 is much better because you can adjust the radius or attach the mounting ring to a Tune-O-Matic style bridge. I prefer the GK-2a because I have it mounted on a Strat with very low action and a 6 screw tremolo but I also have a GK-KIT-GT3 inside my Jackson Dinky with a 2 point tremolo.