GR-55 - Why I returned my GR55 and Went Retro

Started by Davis, December 04, 2012, 11:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Quote from: jamesigreat on January 05, 2019, 11:06:40 PM
I've owned a fishman and own both gr-55 & boss gp-10. For me the clarity of the fishman is better but always fighting with latency issues and the clunkyness of dragging your laptop everywhere for gigging and needing to manage all the vsts that come with hardware. I'm still new to midi/synth guitar and this site is the only place to find any info on any synth guitar anywhere. the boss gp-10 for me has better quality guitar modding but sucks balls on the limited synth options, so i got a gr-55 but guitar side sucks compared to gp-10 and when i run thru my boss katana even more issues. they like the blackstar better. so I thought i'd be smart and find a 13 pin a/b footswitch( best of both worlds, right). now us-20 is just another pedal to tap-dance on to an overly complicated system. I look back at my original reason i wanted to branch out and get into synth guitar....to be more than just the guitar player and to fill in and write parts for music i couldn't do otherwise....some days i miss the good old days of an amp with gain/master vol and 3 eq knobs. too late down the rabbit hole now. :-[

Some combinations are not ideal or suitable

for example - myself , I use my Katana for regular electric guitars only  - its not ideal  for amplifying Synths like the GR-55

review this important thread

Amplification recommendations for DSP Guitar Modeling systems
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=230.0

joshuathomas

I know I've already mentioned this a few times here....  I bought the GR33 when it came out nearly twenty years ago.  Then, I sold it to cover part of the cost of upgrading to the GR55.  My love for the new friend slowly faded as I realized that a bigger screen didn't make tweaking stuff any easier.  Then, shock of all shocks... this beast had everything except an arpeggiator!  Eventually, I put it aside and became a ukulele player in disgust.  Buy hey, they're small and easy to sneak into the house. 

A few months ago I saw how cheap the GR33's were on Ebay and snapped up one.  With the Floorboard editor and a lot of recent help from folks here, I'm using the GR55 again after nearly a decade.  Just today, I learned how to access the patches sequentially on the GR55 just like you can on the GR33.  With a US-20 Unit Selector, I can now have a three way with both boards. 

Even though the Floorboard editor makes adding effects to the actual guitar sound, I prefer to use the Zoom G5n for pedal effects.  It has actual knobs that click when you move them.  It also has a built in foot petal that can be what ever you want it to be: volume, wah, expression, aaand you can plug in  an additional foot pedal.

Yann Seven

Hi from France.
Roland have understood guitarists neurosis: they always want all in one. So they buy new stuffs that are a little desapointing. The gr 55 is one.
My prototype is hugly, but a french company will make it well suited for guitarists, to control VSTI's without any latency, respect for velocities and expressive. Here is the link to my YT channel:

Hurricane

I have a GR33 - I was in the process of building my set up and wanted to replace the basic functions I had with a Digitech GNX4 that was stolen .

So I got a TCH VL3X and a BeatBuddy to cover what the Digitech gave me. Nice set up.

The GR55 came out just after I got my set up and I started to read the comments made by owners of the GR55.

Till I see a better unit that has the voices my GR33 has and has a better looper than it's got I am staying pat.