GR-55 - Gumtown's GR-55 FloorBoard Editor

Started by gumtown, January 18, 2011, 02:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mercury1

I'm trying to get GR-55 floorboard to run on linux ubuntu 16.04 lts and I ran the ldd command for which all files are present. Is there a way to install the program in terminal with ./configure, make ,make install.
When I click on the executable file, the opening window shows the picture of GR-55 editor and loads partially then goes away.
Once, I tried dragging the executable file to the desktop and plugging up the GR-55 thinking that it might need to recognize the usb connection first and then tried starting the program. It acted as before before but strangely removed the icon from my desktop
I'm not very experienced with linux ubuntu but it is my only mobile option for GR-55 Floorboard
I also have Hydrogen and Musescore which both use Alsa which function properly. My Qjackctl however cannot open Alsa sequencer as a client. Can that indicate something that prevents Gr-55 Floorboard from running?
Any suggestions ?   Thanks for all your help
Gr-55, Gr-33, Gr-1, Vg-88, Jamman looper, Brian More 88.13  ,/ 8.13 , Fender hm strat( gk-3 ), Hammer( int gk-2) , Behringer V-ampire Lx1200 / fcb1010

gumtown

There are 3 different Linux builds to download, 32 or 64 bit to match your Linux system and Ubuntu 64 or Debian 64, either as an alternative.
If the program won't start it is either the wrong version downloaded (32 vs 64) or there is an issue with ALSA midi (which sounds like you do have installed).
I don't know why the program disappears from your desktop.
The whole folder included in the download is required to run the executable within.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

Quote from:  philjynx on January 05, 2018, 03:12:55 PM
Curious, can the Linux version be run on a Raspberry? Be good to be use it via my new midi controller (which, of course, is behind my over optimistic schedule).
No, Linux Ubuntu version is built for an x86 processor, and the Pi runs an ARM type.

mercury1

I checked the system , I'm running the 64 bit ubuntu (with celeron processor) which means I  have the correct version installed so it must be something I have keeping alsa from playing nice with Floorboard. Maybe it wont let alsa see Floorboard as client like the problem I have with Qjackctl which also shows Dsub error whatever that means.
Gr-55, Gr-33, Gr-1, Vg-88, Jamman looper, Brian More 88.13  ,/ 8.13 , Fender hm strat( gk-3 ), Hammer( int gk-2) , Behringer V-ampire Lx1200 / fcb1010

gumtown

FxFloorBoard only uses ALSA, so make sure the ALSA libs are installed.
It doesn't use JACK.

mercury1

Yes I understand jack isn't used , I was thinking that the alsa problem with jack and the problem I'm having could have the same root cause. I will check alsa library . Thanks

admin

the Video above is linked at the official Roland site here

http://rolandblog.ca/gr-55-how-to/

Recently, we received a call from the owner of a GK-equipped Stratocaster and a GR-09 guitar synth. He was interested in buying a GR-55 Guitar Synthesizer but didn't like the factory presets and sent it back to the store (hate it when that happens!). It is not uncommon for players to want to program their own sounds, as the factory presets are suggestions that show extreme uses of the GR-55 and the many possibilities of creating sounds. However, in the real world of playing current pop music in a band or playing in a cover band at weddings, which in many cases demands a repertoire of music spanning 30-40 years or more, the need for other quality, but uneffected, guitar tones take precedence. One resource for alternate patches or sounds is the GR-55 Guitar Synthesizer Artist Patches page
http://www.rolandus.com/go/gr-55_artist_patches/

with many useful sounds designed by great guitarists like Eric Johnson, Rob Marcello and Slash. You can also find other commonly requested patches like Clean, Acoustic and Alternate tunings. All of these may be downloaded at no charge and loaded into the User Bank of the GR-55 using the Roland included GR-55 librarian software, or there is an excellent shareware program for programming the GR-55.

In it's simplest usage, the GR-55 is a repository of some of BOSS' best guitar effects like reverb, delay and chorus that sound great blended with your favourite guitar and amplifier; taken to the extreme, the GR-55 provides the perfect wedding band accompaniment sounds, if Lady Gaga and Marilyn Manson were getting hitched (hopefully he doesn't faint again!). That is the beauty and the largely undiscovered potential of the GR-55! Check out how to set up the GR-55 Librarian, back up user patches, and load downloaded patches onto the GR-55 here.

http://www.rolandus.com/go/gr-55_artist_patches/assets/gr-55_release_note_01.pdf

HoosierMan

Hi Gumtown,

Is a version of the floorboard editor for MacOS 10.13 going to be released?  After upgrading to MacOS 10.13.2 the GR-55 floorboard editor is not working right.  The floorboard app connects to my GR-55 and reads the patches, BUT I can no longer select/change a patch using the floorboard editor.  I tested the GR-55 Librarian and it does continue to read and write successfully to the GR-55.

Thanks for all your support!

gumtown

Quote from: dnieper on September 06, 2017, 09:48:32 AM
Hi gumtown, I threw together some QSettings code based on the preferences.xml file.  It is attached below (I hope... as a text file since .cpp isn't one of the approved file types).  Please note, I use a lot of empty space for readability and I use XEmacs as an IDE so my indention is nice but different from yours ;)  Let me know if this is useful.  Cheers.
I just found time to have a good read of your attached file.
A simpler way to restore default GR-55FloorBoard Preference settings is to 'delete' the generated/saved "preferences.xml" file.
The program has an internal copy of it should a saved one not be found.

The version number check is used if an upgraded version uses a different format/structure preferences file, it is overwritten with the new default to prevent mismatch and potential crash.

gumtown

Quote from: chartzog on January 22, 2018, 01:05:41 PM
Hi Gumtown,

Is a version of the floorboard editor for MacOS 10.13 going to be released?  After upgrading to MacOS 10.13.2 the GR-55 floorboard editor is not working right.  The floorboard app connects to my GR-55 and reads the patches, BUT I can no longer select/change a patch using the floorboard editor.  I tested the GR-55 Librarian and it does continue to read and write successfully to the GR-55.

Thanks for all your support!

I don't have High Sierra yet, so I am not aware of this problem (until now).
When you say "no longer select/change a patch using the floorboard editor", does that mean the left-side Patch Tree selector does not respond to mouse clicks on a patch item? or an error reading from the GR-55 (which would result in an error dialog popup).

Cheers

HoosierMan

Quotedoes that mean the left-side Patch Tree selector does not respond to mouse clicks on a patch item?

Correct.  It appears to read everything off the GR-55 successfully, but the GR does not respond by changing patches when clicking on different patches in the left side patch tree selector.  Another thing that happened is that the floorboard editor does change the patch that is displayed on the computer and when I tried to write that patch to the GR-55 it overwrote the patch which the GR-55 had powered up with.  For example, the GR was set to User 01-2 and I selected User 03-1 in the floorboard editor and when I clicked Write, it saved 03-1 into 01-2 on the GR-55.

I only upgraded to MacOS High Sierra because of the spectre/meltdown issue and thought it would be safest to have the latest OS.  Besides the problem I have with the GR floorboard editor High Sierra seems to be plagued with Finder lockups/crashes that has been a known issue for several months but Apple has not issued a fix yet.

concordal

QuoteI only upgraded to MacOS High Sierra because of the spectre/meltdown issue and thought it would be safest to have the latest OS.

It may be useful for other Mac users following this thread to know that Apple released a Security Update today for Sierra and El Capitan.  The update is "specifically aimed at mitigating the Spectre and Meltdown security flaws".  (Details at http://osxdaily.com/2018/01/23/macos-10-13-3-high-sierra-security-update-2018-001-elcap-sierra/)

So no need to upgrade to High Sierra . . . yet.

HTIH

HoosierMan

Update:

I installed the new Mac security update 10.13.3.  It made no difference with the Floorboard editor connectivity problem. 

I swapped USB cables.  No change.

I verified the MIDI/USB settings in the GR-55 were correct.

Finally, I connected the GR-55 to my Mac with MIDI cables.  Problem solved.  The Floorboard editor interacts successfully with the GR-55.  I.e.  The GR responds to the MIDI program change commands from the Floorboard editor.  So the problem seems to be isolated to sending MIDI program change commands via USB.

admin

Quote from: chartzog on January 24, 2018, 10:48:29 AM
Update:

I installed the new Mac security update 10.13.3.  It made no difference with the Floorboard editor connectivity problem. 

I swapped USB cables.  No change.

I verified the MIDI/USB settings in the GR-55 were correct.

Finally, I connected the GR-55 to my Mac with MIDI cables.  Problem solved.  The Floorboard editor interacts successfully with the GR-55.  I.e.  The GR responds to the MIDI program change commands from the Floorboard editor.  So the problem seems to be isolated to sending MIDI program change commands via USB.

But we know at this hour - the Roland GR-55 does NOT have a compatible USB Driver for macOS 10.13 High Sierra
https://www.roland.com/us/products/gr-55/downloads/

https://www.roland.com/us/support/support_news/1709261013r/
COMPATIBILITY WITH MACOS HIGH SIERRA (10.13)
Our product's compatibility information with macOS High Sierra (10.13) is as follows.

GR-55 = Under testing

Its a common issue  - for past 10 years  every September / October Apple releases yet another new  version of OSX / macOS which forces Audio companies to update their USB Audio /MIDI drivers 

Why I only update macOS if I have to

( I'm still happy running  OSX Yosemite on my Music Mac - never connect to internet 

HoosierMan

QuoteIts a common issue  - for past 10 years  every September / October Apple releases yet another new  version of OSX / macOS which forces Audio companies to update their USB Audio /MIDI drivers 

Why I only update macOS if I have to

( I'm still happy running  OSX Yosemite on my Music Mac - never connect to internet

Unfortunately at this time I don't have a dedicated Mac just for music.  If/when I get a new computer I will probably save my old Mac to be a music-only Mac.

Shakidoby

Hello Gumtown and all you other people out there.
First of all, I want to say, that I like the Floorboard-Editor very much, great work Gumtown.
But now I got a "problem" with it. I had the software installed to a laptop with windows7, everything worked fine. Now I've got a new Laptop with windows 10 and it works too, but I can't switch it to fullscreen. Do I have a wrong version? Thank you
Roland Gr-55, Boss GP-10
Gibson Les Paul Studio (1991) with GK-3
Ibanez RG-550XH with GK-2
Harley Benton BM-75 with GK-3

gumtown

You have the right version,
I have had issues with high resolution displays and Windows 10.

Check the Preferences > Window settings,
there is an option to switch on 'auto size scaling', which requires selection of it's tick-box,
and pressing the OK dialog, and then re-starting the editor app.

Shakidoby

Roland Gr-55, Boss GP-10
Gibson Les Paul Studio (1991) with GK-3
Ibanez RG-550XH with GK-2
Harley Benton BM-75 with GK-3

Elantric

Happy Birthday Gumtown!

Next Tuesday will be Gumtown's Birthday

He has spent hours creating SHAREWARE Editors we all use for our Boss Roland Gear for decades 
https://sourceforge.net/u/gumtownbassman/profile/

To celebrate his Birthday, consider making a contribution for his efforts!

============

Gumtown Donate Link Here

https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/files/GR-55/beta_GR-55FloorBoard_Setup.exe/download

Nicolher

Hello Everybody
Happy birthday gumtown  ;D
Is it normal that if I click on a preset on the left panel, the GR-55 doesn't react ?
I have to choose the patch on the GR and the same on the Editor for them to sync
i'm running mac OS X Sierra 10.12.6

gumtown

Quote from: Nicolher on February 27, 2018, 01:47:25 AM
Hello Everybody
Happy birthday gumtown  ;D
Is it normal that if I click on a preset on the left panel, the GR-55 doesn't react ?
I have to choose the patch on the GR and the same on the Editor for them to sync
i'm running mac OS X Sierra 10.12.6

Thanks !! :-)
Can you tell what happens with either of these two things:
1) a single mouse click on a Patch-Tree item in the left panel should change the GR-55 patch to match.
2) a double mouse click on a Patch-Tree item in the left panel should load the relevant patch into the editor.

The editor "Connect" button should remain lit, and the expanded left panel Patch-Tree items should display the GR-55 patch names.
If the patch change part is not happening, check the editor "Preferences > USB/Midi" page.
The bottom item has a typo which should say "Tx Midi Channel" and that number should match the same setting in the "System > Setup and Midi Settings" page "General Midi", "Midi Channel".
These numbers need to match, and "Receive Progarm Change" should be "on".

Nicolher

Thank you for your answer

1) a single mouse click on a Patch-Tree item in the left panel should change the GR-55 patch to match.
No unfortunately
2) a double mouse click on a Patch-Tree item in the left panel should load the relevant patch into the editor.
Yes, working
The editor "Connect" button should remain lit, and the expanded left panel Patch-Tree items should display the GR-55 patch names.
Yes
If the patch change part is not happening, check the editor "Preferences > USB/Midi" page.
Correctly selected to "Gr-55"  (usb)
The bottom item has a typo which should say "Tx Midi Channel" and that number should match the same setting in the "System > Setup and Midi Settings" page "General Midi", "Midi Channel".
Yes
These numbers need to match, and "Receive Progarm Change" should be "on".
Yes

I'm pretty sure it was working before the Mac os x security update (sierra)
But maybe i'm being paranoid ;-)

EDIT
I just noticed this message when i do a single click on the left panel
(see picture1)
The midi is selected and is the only option available (and it was working)
(see pic 2)
If i select a patch in the "my innit" column in the center, the GR-55 change to patch selected
this "message" appears in the status bar
(see pic3)
And yes, i've tried to shut down and start again the computer, and/or the gr-55 ;-)

wjblume

I am seeing the same behavior as Nicolher, only under High Sierra 10.13.3.   I see the same "'portNumber' argument (1) is invalid" message.  I verified that all my settings conformed to Gumtown's advice.

In High Sierra, there is an additional issue that the Preferences settings are not saved either.  *.plist files are created and rewritten on quit, but the changed settings aren't saved.

I'ved tried enabling "deBug Mode" under USB/Midi, but if it is creating a log somewhere, I can't find it.

I'm using Roland's version 1.0.3 driver, which they are claiming is good for High Sierra.  The readme had no disclaimers.  The Roland GR-55 Librarian works fine.  Floorboard can read, edit, and write patches to the GR-55.  It just can't set the active patch and can't save settings.

I find the following series repeated often in my system log, but can't associate it with any particular Floorboard behavior:

Mar 18 16:10:19 Orthanc GR-55FloorBoard[829]: assertion failed: 17D102: libxpc.dylib + 72637 [F7E5F1BC-614B-39CB-B6CE-92A9C7B7EC0B]: 0x89
Mar 18 16:10:19 Orthanc com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.quicklook[832]): Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.quicklook
Mar 18 16:10:22 Orthanc GR-55FloorBoard[829]: BUG in libdispatch client: kevent[mach_recv] monitored resource vanished before the source cancel handler was invoked
Mar 18 16:10:25 Orthanc GR-55FloorBoard[829]: objc[829]: Class FIFinderSyncExtensionHost is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FinderKit.framework/Versions/A/FinderKit (0x7fff9a0a2b68) and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileProvider.framework/OverrideBundles/FinderSyncCollaborationFileProviderOverride.bundle/Contents/MacOS/FinderSyncCollaborationFileProviderOverride (0x11b8eecd8). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
Mar 18 16:11:53 Orthanc kcm[836]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: Setting timer interval to 0 requests a 1ns timer, did you mean FOREVER (a one-shot timer)?
Mar 18 16:13:11 Orthanc GR-55FloorBoard[839]: assertion failed: 17D102: libxpc.dylib + 72637 [F7E5F1BC-614B-39CB-B6CE-92A9C7B7EC0B]: 0x89
Mar 18 16:13:14 Orthanc GR-55FloorBoard[839]: BUG in libdispatch client: kevent[mach_recv] monitored resource vanished before the source cancel handler was invoked
Mar 18 16:13:14 Orthanc com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.quicklook[842]): Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.quicklook
Mar 18 16:13:25 Orthanc GR-55FloorBoard[839]: objc[839]: Class FIFinderSyncExtensionHost is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FinderKit.framework/Versions/A/FinderKit (0x7fff9a0a2b68) and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileProvider.framework/OverrideBundles/FinderSyncCollaborationFileProviderOverride.bundle/Contents/MacOS/FinderSyncCollaborationFileProviderOverride (0x119e0dcd8). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Hope this is useful.  Thanks.

wjblume

I have been trying to build GR-55 Floorboard against the latest Qt and RtMidi.  I'm having unreliable success linking to RtMidi, but when it does link, both the High Sierra patch setting and preferences issues clear up.

But I still having problems getting it to build the complete package with Frameworks, etc.