PRIMOVA MIDX-20 Dual Roland USB MIDI Converter / Ctrl Interface

Started by CodeSmart, March 05, 2016, 05:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeSmart

Quote from: Elantric on November 04, 2017, 10:53:50 AM
Any possibilities for expanding avaialable Control Assignments via MIDI CC# for remote MIDI control of GT FX ?
No further than the MIDX bridge CC#'s will allow control of all effects, slots, etc. and parameters therein.

I have seen no evidence of built-in support for external MIDI assigns. It seems all stuff has to be created using SysEx...using BTS look-alike commands.

Just got the Delay and FX1 and FX2 to verify... and then I'm done. Rest of the chain verified. Verification means sending a CC# and watching the knob turn in the unit. So easy when the device has a display...
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

admin

I suspect the next unit that screams for your MIDX-20 programming  / code snooping efforts will be the Boss MS-3

Why? - because the MS-3 has loads of  Boss Effects - but no easy method to control them  - no MIDI Input ( lame)

CodeSmart

Quote from: admsustainiac on November 05, 2017, 09:29:56 AM
I suspect the next unit that screams for your MIDX-20 programming  / code snooping efforts will be the Boss MS-3

Why? - because the MS-3 has loads of  Boss Effects - but no easy method to control them  - no MIDI Input ( lame)

We'll see...I don't own a MS-3...yet.

CodeSmart

With the GT-1 I just have the FX2 block left to verify. FX1 is ok now.
FX2 contains the same things but at other addresses.

I did found out that the OD/DS have a working SOLO switch and SOLO level corresponding to GT-100.

I also will add CC# for tap tempo. Of course for the delay,
but maybe other effects may benefit from tap tempo?

Elantric

Quote from: CodeSmart on November 05, 2017, 01:38:43 PM
With the GT-1 I just have the FX2 block left to verify. FX1 is ok now.
FX2 contains the same things but at other addresses.

I did found out that the OD/DS have a working SOLO switch and SOLO level corresponding to GT-100.

I also will add CC# for tap tempo. Of course for the delay,
but maybe other effects may benefit from tap tempo?

I like products  where Tap tempo applies to Modulation LFO ( Tremolo)

CodeSmart

Quote from: Elantric on November 05, 2017, 02:09:18 PM
I like products  where Tap tempo applies to Modulation LFO ( Tremolo)

Thanks to the great implementation of BPM in GT-1 all of this can be controlled by MIDX-20 Tap Tempo

CodeSmart

CodeSmart

Elantric

CodeSmart

Quote from: Elantric on November 07, 2017, 05:02:22 AM
Great work -

I'll tell the world
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25193319/

Thank you Steve , today's been a haze, stopped working with this 05:00 in the morning, after 11 hours in a row after 7 hours regular work :P Yup, it's not normal at all. But I feel great it's done and looking forward to the next challenge...whatever it is  ;D

Elantric

Quote from: CodeSmart on November 07, 2017, 03:42:45 PM
Thank you Steve , today's been a haze, stopped working with this 05:00 in the morning, after 11 hours in a row after 7 hours regular work :P Yup, it's not normal at all. But I feel great it's done and looking forward to the next challenge...whatever it is  ;D

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boss-katana-amplifiers.1744135/page-590

Of course today I get a warning from The Gear Page moderator that wanted to know who's paying me, says:   - " we have received complaints"  - since they consider me just a paid marketing shill

I'll take a vacation from that site for a while ( too many gatekeepers over there that are annoyed with me.

Glad I'm age 62, because this world frowns on sharing knowledge that conflicts with the official dumbed down narrative. 

My TGP Posts
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?search/31274643/

and I see Fender Forum already removed my Fender Mustang MIDX-20 post  - ( really sorry I recommended you to pursue that wasted effort, as I thought your effort of creating working 5 pin MIDI I/O box for Mustang Amps would yield more positive interest,  - but it appears Mustang Owners prefer to remain stuck in their bedroom with their buggy 4 button foot controller or a buggy Android app ( Remuda)   

This lone MIDX-20 post remains
http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=105436

rolandvg99

Sounds like someone I've discussed with and his best argument for not using a seaparate device to control SYSEX: "It's not how they intended you to use their products. It's cheating and I hate cheaters."
This was after a concert I did back in November -16 when I used the GP-10, MIDX-20 and a Behringer BCR2000 to tweak things live. He also asked for that black thing between the bridge pickup and the bridge. When I told him that it was for sending 6 independent signal paths to my GP-10, which was responsible of creating that "fat and rich sound" (his statement), I was caught double "cheating". He was clearly trying to convince someone that a TUBE-amp must have made that sound.

To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

vtgearhead

Quote from: Elantric on November 07, 2017, 03:50:01 PM
and I see Fender Forum already removed my Fender Mustang MIDX-20 post  - ( really sorry I recommended you to pursue that wasted effort, as I thought your effort of creating working 5 pin MIDI I/O box for Mustang Amps would yield more positive interest,  - but it appears Mustang Owners prefer to remain stuck in their bedroom with their buggy 4 button foot controller or a buggy Android app ( Remuda)   

This lone MIDX-20 post remains
http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=105436

I'm surprised at how little interest there's been in my Mustang bridge software.  One, perhaps two users that I know of.  <shrug..>

sixeight

Quote from: snhirsch on November 08, 2017, 05:10:40 AM
I'm surprised at how little interest there's been in my Mustang bridge software.  One, perhaps two users that I know of.  <shrug..>

It is still on my to do list for the VController, though it probably is just a lot of work with little interest of users. The Mustang is my son's. I should probably have it swapped for a Katana. That would make a nice Christmas present...

CodeSmart

Any soul tried the GT-1 Bridge? All these weeks in vain?

ManiacZero

Man this all sounds great and Robert (CodeSmart) is a blessing to this community I can tell. I've sent him an email order for hopefully my very own MIDX-20 and GKFX-1, and a couple of cables. I can't wait to get them. I wonder how long it will take to get them from Sweden to Texas, USA ?

Boss blew it leaving the MIDI ports off the GP-10. One's loss is another man's gain. In this case Primova Sound made it better with more options.   ;D
Gear:  GP-10, SY-300, Axe-Fx MkII, RJM Mastermind GT22, Eventide H7600, two JVM410's, EVH 5150 III Stealth 100, Rack Of Tom Sholtz Rock Modules, Radial JX44, Radial SGI-44, Radial MR5, two Radial JR5's,Pigtronix Infinity Looper, Talkbox, Strymon Sunset & Mobius, TC VPD1, Rocktron Loop 8, MOTU 828x..

mooncaine

I would but I've got a -10, not a -20. Don't think I'd be able to help with that.

CodeSmart

Spent tonight with the SoftStep2 (USB MIDI controller) controlling the Boss GT-1 using the MIDX-20 GT-1 MIDI Bridge.
It's great fun and working really well. You don't need many patches in the GT-1 as you may change Preamps and Effects, turn everything individually on/off, tap tempo etc. using MIDI.

Idgolfguy

CodeSmart

Quote from: Idgolfguy on November 17, 2017, 01:38:09 PM
May get a GT1 just to keep as a backup.
Problem is I find the things in GP-10 and Katana itself overall sounding better. I know it's the same bread an butter, but still...the pitch shift in GT-1 is really sucking wind and is a laugh compared to GP-10 hex processing.

GT-1 Amps and effects other than pitch shifts sounding really ok for that price bin.

CodeSmart

Just requested a price for a MS-3 from my favourite Boss dealer...have a bad feeling it's going to end up in more endless nights squeezing yet another (the last) complete MIDI bridge into the MIDX :P

thebrushwithin

QuoteSpent tonight with the SoftStep2

Does the midx20 handle the SS2, without their proprietary USB to midi box?

CodeSmart

Quote from: thebrushwithin on November 25, 2017, 07:23:43 AM
Does the midx20 handle the SS2, without their proprietary USB to midi box?
Sure, it works fine. It's class compliant (I think). And it's powered by the MIDX USB.
And there's 5-pin MIDI on the MIDX for connecting other 5-pin gear.

CodeSmart

Just ordered a MS-3 at great price, looked at the nitty-gritty and it's pretty straightforward (2 x identical FX) + (2 x identical MOD) + NS+DLY+REV+Master Settings) using same great BPM approach as in GT-1 controlling all time based settings.

I decided there will be a MS-3 Bridge available for the MIDX-20 early next year.
Feels bad not to also include this unit when I cover the rest of the Boss pedals...

I'll probably bundle it with the Katana Bridge, so there will be three firmware options:
A) MIDX-20 Core functionality + Katana Bridge + MS-3 Bridge
B) MIDX-20 Core functionality + Katana Bridge + GT-1 Bridge
C) MIDX-20 Core functionality + Fender Mustang V2 Bridge

Also, it looks like a really useful pedal for my own playing.

slyisdead

Hi all !

Can anyone tell me if the MIDX-20 would work between my Boss GP-10 and a Rocktron Midi raider ?

Thanx a lot