VG 88 as a CC# midi controller

Started by morty, October 14, 2014, 05:42:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

morty

I'm using my old Vg88 as a midi Controller for my Fractal Axe Ultra, and it works great to change presets. I have assigned the expression pedal for volume and ctrl for tuner. The Axe has a looper too which I would like to control by assigning the 1-8 pedals on the 88 With MIDI Continuous Controllers CC#. Has anybody done something like that?
Parker Fly Classic w/GK3A
Lag Custom w/GK2A
Tacoma SP1 w/GK2A
Tacoma Papoose P112E
Tacoma DM9
Tacoma BM6C
Martin DX1K
Fractal Axe Fx Ultra
Roland VG-88
Roland GR-55

Elantric

If its a VG-88 with "V2" firmware - suggest try to run Vedit - which displays all VG-88 controls and lets you understand all signal routing - and MIDi CC# Control Assignment settings
Download it here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=19

See  Vedit -  demo here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6455.0

morty

I´m sorry but I use mac. Can´t find anything in the system settings.
Parker Fly Classic w/GK3A
Lag Custom w/GK2A
Tacoma SP1 w/GK2A
Tacoma Papoose P112E
Tacoma DM9
Tacoma BM6C
Martin DX1K
Fractal Axe Fx Ultra
Roland VG-88
Roland GR-55

Elantric

Read the Owners manual

along with

* Roland COSM Reference Library (Mandatory information for beginners and advanced users)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88.0

Most Roland Guitar Processors ( including the Roland VG-88) employ user definable Control ASSIGNMENTS with MIDI CC# target mapping for the CTL pedals and Expression pedal

http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/VG-88_OM.pdf

MotorBongo

Quote from: morty on October 14, 2014, 05:42:12 AM
I'm using my old Vg88 as a midi Controller for my Fractal Axe Ultra, and it works great to change presets.

When looking for a MIDI footcontroller which can display Patch Names the thought struck me to use my VG-88(v2) for that. Feel a bit guilty to 'abuse' it for that purpose, but it'd be silly to buy another thing when the '88 can do it.

So great to see the confirmation here that the '88 can do this and that I'm not the only 'abuser' ! :-)

MotorBongo

Quote from: MotorBongo on November 07, 2014, 11:05:40 AM
When looking for a MIDI footcontroller which can display Patch Names the thought struck me to use my VG-88(v2) for that. Feel a bit guilty to 'abuse' it for that purpose, but it'd be silly to buy another thing when the '88 can do it.

So great to see the confirmation here that the '88 can do this and that I'm not the only 'abuser' ! :-)

It works fine indeed. The VG-88 a bit bulky when just being a footcontroller, but OK.

Two drawbacks though: (1) the relation between footswitches/banks  and the 'outgoing' Program Changes can't be remapped & (2) the Expr Pedal can't do all CC's, which is a pity, since various gear uses wildly different CC-assignments.

Too bad, but you can't have everything. Both are no surprise though, they're properly documented in the VG-88 manual.

Interestingly, for the GR-30 when used as footcontroller (with external switches for bank-changes) the situation is reversed: no remapping on incoming PCs, but a remapping table possible for outgoing PC's.  No patch names here though   ;D   8)

Bye

Jsp775

Great idea to use the VG-88 as a controller (although overkill in terms of processing power an floor space). I have mine set up to control my GP-10, but I'm only successful if I have a laptop in the loop. I'm taking the VG-88 midi output to a Midiman 2x2 USB to the computer to a powered USB hub to the GP-10. Is there a way to omit the laptop?

whippinpost91850

Read this thread about incorperatiing a Raspberry PI to add MIDI control to the GP10. Member Loulea has done awesome work to make this work

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11998.msg86958#msg86958

This should get you where you need to go

Jsp775

MotorBongo

Quote from: MotorBongo on November 07, 2014, 11:05:40 AM

Revisiting the issue of a quest for a reasonably compact foot controller that clearly displays patchnames, I remembered this thread. The VG-88 is indeed too bulky, was wondering if meanwhile other alternatives have emerged. I'll best start a new thread for this.

Thanks

admin

Quote from: MotorBongo on March 14, 2018, 01:27:40 PM
Revisiting the issue of a quest for a reasonably compact foot controller that clearly displays patchnames, I remembered this thread. The VG-88 is indeed too bulky, was wondering if meanwhile other alternatives have emerged. I'll best start a new thread for this.

Thanks

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18131.msg166096#msg166096
https://www.morningstarfx.com/single-post/2018/02/20/MC6-Production-Update

MC6 Production Update
February 20, 2018

|

James

We are excited to announce that we are currently working on the next iteration of the well-loved MC6 Midi Controller. The current controller was designed in the late 2015, and many software features have been added on since its birth. The size of the compiled code is close to out-growing the current micro-controller storage limit, and the memory-size is limiting the possibility of any further improvements we wanted to implement. Hence, we have decided to look forward and work on a new design for the MC6.

Software

The MKII firmware was re-designed from ground up to build in new functionalities into the core. One new feature we are excited about is that the MC6 MKII will have an event-based programming logic, where you can assign Midi messages to action events such as Press, Release, Long Press, Long Press Release, Double Tap and so on.. There will be so many possibilities you can do with one switch. With each preset containing 16 messages, 12 presets per bank, and a total of 30 banks, we are certain that the MC6 MKII can hold up against larger and more expensive controllers in the market.

The editing functions on the MKII was also completely redesigned. No longer will you have to look up what each parameter does. Each type of midi message will have a specific editing interface displayed for it, making programming on the device itself even simpler than before. The web and desktop editor will also be revamped with usability in mind.

We added a dedicated toggle name, which you can program if you want your short name to change according to your preset toggle position.

Hardware

With all these software improvements, there needed to be an improvement in hardware as well. We chose a more powerful micro-controller for this, with increases in speed as well as storage space. We also increased the memory size to store more data to support the new features.

The enclosure will be built with an anodised aluminium sheet, similar to the ML5 Loop Switcher.
https://www.morningstarfx.com/ml5

The size of the MC6 enclosure remains the same for its length and breadth, except a couple of millimetres shorter in height. Holding both the MC6 and MC6 MKII in both hands, the MKII definitely feels less bulky and more sleek. We decided (and managed) to also squeeze in a larger 24x2 LCD such that each preset can have a 8 character short name (we'll leave the spaces between preset names to you to decide), and a 24 character full name and bank name.

Current status

We are in the final phase of testing the device and ironing out any bugs in the firmware. We will be working on getting the circuit-boards produced once the Lunar New Year holidays are over, and hoping to start assembling and putting them up for sale around the end of March. We'll have more updates in the coming weeks.

Before we end here, we would like to extend a big Thank You(!!) to everyone who have supported us by giving feedback or purchased our products. We are certain that they will continue to serve you well in the years to come.

Keep making awesome music!

The Morningstar Engineering Team

MotorBongo

Quote from: admsustainiac on March 14, 2018, 08:17:44 PM
MC6 MKII

We decided (and managed) to also squeeze in a larger 24x2 LCD

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion for the MC6. Had it seen mentioned here as well, so had a look,
but I'm afraid the display by means of a 24x2 LCD still isn't what I'm looking for.

It might be my application and/or eyes and/or my body length, but say displays like those on the Line6 M5 are too small or
don't have enough contrast. I haven't seen those recent Boss switchers in real life yet, perhaps that kind of display might do.
Otherwise, I realize that limits me to displays with 'old style' LED-character displays.

But it might be too soon to tell w.r.t. visibility & character-size of that new version, I'll sure have a look when the MKII is released.

Bye/thanks

MotorBongo

Quote from: admsustainiac on March 15, 2018, 07:00:57 AM
google search "MIDI Floor Controller" then click  "images" to find one that suits your eyes

Thanks!
MIDI Floor Controller with a decent length to name preset'n'things is a thing I possibly happen to google more often than...

... long story short, I'll have a further look at that new Line6 Helix HX Effects: reasonable size (can be added to pedal board) and might have enough MIDI functionality, and on top of that, for half the size'n'price of say the depicted Mastermind one gets that curious-making building-block audio functionality.

Thanks/regards