GR-55 - Jazz Combos

Started by jwhitcomb3, October 19, 2013, 06:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhitcomb3

Here are five patches for jazz combos I've worked up, combining COSM and/or Magnetic guitar with PCM2 Bass and PCM1 keys. The PCM2 Bass is cross faded across the low E-A-D strings and is off for the rest. This works great for plucking, but not so hot for strumming. This was made for my picking style, where I use thumb or pick for low EAD strings, and fingers for the high GBD strings.

There are lots of controls/assigns at work here, letting you mix and match the four sound sources (PCM1+PCM2, COSM modeling and Normal Pickups).

The patches have both the COSM modeling guitars and the magnetic pickups enabled, but I usually use the guitar's switches and/or volume controls to use one or the other...I don't think they sound so wonderful together. The GK volume switch uses a trick to switch COSM pickups if you roll it off of full volume and roll it back. So the GK volume control acts both as a volume control and a pickup selector (it can only toggle between two pickup settings, so you can modify Assign 3 for your favorites). For the one synth patch, instead of toggling pickups, it toggles between a square wave and a saw wave.

These patches make use of the GK switches, so if you've overridden the patch assignments for the GK switches with a global system setting, you're missing some of the fun (Go to the System -> Pedal/GK Ctl page and set each of CTL, EXP, EXPON, EXPSW, GKS1, S2 and VOL to "PATCH" to get full control over these patches). In general, Switch 1 toggles the octave of the PCM1 keyboard sound, and Switch 2 toggles amp solo and brings in a compressor.

The EXP switch toggles the PCM sounds (the PCM sounds are always paired and controlled together). They default on, and the EXP fades the PCM levels. With EXP Off, you only have the COSM and normal pickups, and the EXP pedal controls the delay level. CTL is tap tempo for this delay (and since delay is off when the EXP switch is on, CTL does nothing there).

The five patches are:

JazCmb1 Features the L4 model through a Jazz Combo amp over acoustic piano and acoustic bass.
JazCmb2 has the L4 model through a Jazz Combo amp over Dyno Rhodes and fretless bass.
JazCmb3 uses the ES335 model through a Jazz Combo amp over a Wurly and Fingered bass.
JazCmb4 Features the L4 model through a Jazz Combo amp over vibes and acoustic bass.

Then there's the oddball...

SynCmb1 uses a COSM Wave synth over a Marimba and Reso Bass.

Some mp3 demo files are attached.

Please mess around with these and come up with your own sounds. I'm having great fun with all the possibilities. Let me know what you think!

papabuss

THX for posting and the detailed information.
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

admin

Excellent!

QuoteTHX for posting and the detailed information.
+1

jwhitcomb3

Thanks guys.

Here's another variation: COSM Nylon guitar (GK Volume rolloff toggles sharp/mellow tone on nylon) with PCM2 acoustic bass and PCM1 electric organ through the MFX rotary speaker. The CTL pedal does double duty as the rotary speed toggle (when EXP SW is on) and tap tempo (when EXP SW is off).

The rest of the controls are as described above.

jwhitcomb3

I've posted a funk guitar/clav/bass preset using this control setup here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9749.msg69983#msg69983