Tech 21 Midi Mouse

Started by ddlooping, February 10, 2011, 08:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddlooping

Another question for you MIDI wizards. :)
Could the Tech 21 Midi Mouse be used to control bank or patch changes on the GR-55?
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

paults

Yes, it can control program changes.  It will send MIDI program numbers for direct access to specific sounds. And, its built like a tank :)

No matter what controller you use with the GR-55, you'll have either have to:

Pay attention to the MIDI prigram number on the controller,

or to remember how MIDI 1 through 128 translates to GR bank1, patch 1 through 3, bak 2 patch 1 through 3

But, you'll get really good at dividing by three, and knowing one or two left over is in the next bank.   Example:  MIDI program 71 = equals 71/3 = 23 (patch bank 23 number 3), with two left over. So, 71 would be Bank 24 Number 2. (I think...)

That's not the Midi Mouses's fault - with a ten button controller that uses bank+patch settings on the foot pedals (but still just sends 1 - 128), you would have to remember Bank 3 patch 7 on the controller was the same as Bank 33, patch 1 on the GR.

If you just want to control bank up/bank down, it gets a little simpler.  With a foot controller that has CC (continuous controller) buttons, you could assign them to bank up/down in hr GR, then use the GR patch 1,2,3 buttons.  You *might* be able to also use the dedicated bank up/down switches and just patch 1.2.3 buttons on an FC-300, FC-200, Behringer FC-1010 - but, check in the manuals to see if they will send bank/patch format, or if they change it to MIDI number.   

FWIW, I've been using a controller that lets me name its own patches, and it sends a specific program number to the VG-99 (which will soon be replaced in my pedal board with the GR-55), and I don't look at the VG patch numbers at all.  For me, that's the simpler approach.   

ddlooping

Thanks for the info, Paul. :)

Just to clarify my interest in the MIDI Mouse, Sanpera and similar devices...
I'm looking for small add-ons to the GR-55 to make it easier to control from the floor and/or expand its controllability, not full-blown pedalboard. ;)
I have a FC-300 and GT-10 but would like not to use them with the GR-55 to minimise footprint.

Macciza

Maybe have a look at the KMI SoftStep . . .
Cheers
MM
'70s Strat, Brian Moore iM, VG-8, VG-99, FC-300, VL-70m, StringPort, SoftStep, Sentient6, iMac QC i7 27".

ddlooping

Quote from: Macciza on February 11, 2011, 06:00:33 AM
Maybe have a look at the KMI SoftStep . . .
Cheers
MM

Thanks for the suggestion, MM. :)
It's however much too expensive, wide and overkill.  :o

Elantric

Find a used Zoom 8050 Foot controller

http://www.wikizic.org/Zoom-8050-advanced-foot-controller/

$50

(Actual Size)

or review the products from MIDI solutions:

http://www.midisolutions.com/products.htm

or Nobels MF-2
http://www.nobels.com/cgi-bin/products/show.pl?e_mf-2

Or use a multifunctional controller that has user assignable  MIDI CC# events (Line6 HD-500)

or use the OSC/MIDI Missing link, and an Ipad

ddlooping

Thanks for the suggestions, Elantric. :)

I have a Zoom 8050, somewhere in the attic. ;)
I'm looking for something smaller and MIDI powered.

If it could be reprogrammed to control CTRL1, CTRL2, Bank up, Bank down and EXP2 the Peavey Sanpera would be near perfect: four foot switches + foot pedal in a fairly compact package, midi powered, rugged chassis.

Elantric

QuoteI have a Zoom 8050, somewhere in the attic. ;)
I'm looking for something smaller and MIDI powered.

Most gear will never be powered remotely via Stock MIDI connections they never had a standard for remote power. Most users will need to make modifications to the MIDI OUT port on the host gear - in this case ,  the GR-55 must be modified.

Note products by MIDI Solutions is clever and may be "self powered" using a stock MIDI OUT connection from the 'host" GR-55.

Also the Zoom 8050 is smaller than a  Peavey Sanpera

sorry - I was thinking of this version

and the Zoom 8050 supports two external expression pedals with assignable  / programmable multiple  MIDI CC# events per pedal

and user programmable too - now that I located the owners manual
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2054.msg11571#msg11571

ddlooping

Thanks for the info, Elantric. :)

I think I'm going to wait and see how I get on with the GR-55's limitations in terms of foot-control before looking further in the matter.  ;)

Elantric

ddlooping

I'll check them out, thanks. :)

paults

The rocktron midi xchange is 9 x 5.5 and also has two CC input jacks. 

the tech 21 or the rocktron can be used for fast  access to favorite patches by mapping the incoming midi program numbers to specific GR patches. 

For bank up/ down, map midi programs 1 - 99 to the *first* patch in each user bank.

From
Midi 001 =  GR 01-1
To
MIDI 099 = GR 99-1 

You still have Midi 100 to 127 left over.

Doing that in the GR turns either of these boxes into a bank up/down box. You push the program change button, and it goes to the bank number that matches the Midi program number.

Thanks for asking that question - I've been looking at small controllers, too. But, I hadn't thought through a way to make one into a bank select box yet.

Elantric

QuoteI've been looking at small controllers, too. But, I hadn't thought through a way to make one into a bank select box yet.

Review the MIDI Solutions Dual Footswitch Controller:

http://www.midisolutions.com/proddfs.htm

ddlooping