VG-99 - Steve Howe - Topographic Ocean

Started by Chris, September 14, 2008, 01:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

VG-99 Patch - Steve Howe - Topographic Ocean

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group Chris!

What is the difference between the three patches you posted? I have not had a chance to check them out and was wondering if you just did it three times or they were different from each other with the same name?

Chris

:-\ I've just made a mistake... They are the same.

Brent Flash

Quote from: Chris on September 14, 2008, 10:54:23 AM
:-\ I've just made a mistake... They are the same.
OK, no problem. I can fix it for you. :D

Rojoyinc

I've always been a YES fan  (one of the best concerts I've ever been to)
Whats the typical (average) age of users here?  Seems to be more mature...   (is there a poll) would be interesting to know.
Great ablum - can't wait to try this patch.
Ron, GR, MI
Strats (John Mayer & AmDlx Ash) Fretlight
Gibson LP cust
Tayor T5 Koa, Solidbody walnut custom
Alesis DM5, MM6 synth
Line6 UX8, Mesa LonestarSP, Fender Acoustasonic
MicroCube, Fender Champ 600, BR-600, DP-02CF PortaStudio
HarmonyMan, VocalistLive4, CuBase, SECURITY SYSTEM ;-)

G

mooncaine

Don't understand the poll's choices for answers at all. ???

feloniouspunk

This whole thread is very strange.  Seems somebody ate the brown acid.
Lots of Gear. :)

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Moonpool

Has anyone tried this patch? I was curious about it, being a Topographic Oceans fan, and loaded it into my 99.  The problem is, I can't get any sound to come out of it.  I've only had that issue with one other patch, an organ patch - all the others have worked fine (so, I'm assuming I'm not doing something wrong in the download, and that my system settings are fine.)  I've looked through everything like cosm gtr and amp levels, checked mixer setting etc, still no luck.  It looks like a fun patch, but as yet, I m in the dark.  Any enlightenment?

Brent Flash

Quote from: Moonpool on September 15, 2009, 06:56:30 AM
Has anyone tried this patch? I was curious about it, being a Topographic Oceans fan, and loaded it into my 99.  The problem is, I can't get any sound to come out of it.  I've only had that issue with one other patch, an organ patch - all the others have worked fine (so, I'm assuming I'm not doing something wrong in the download, and that my system settings are fine.)  I've looked through everything like cosm gtr and amp levels, checked mixer setting etc, still no luck.  It looks like a fun patch, but as yet, I m in the dark.  Any enlightenment?
Welcome to the group Moonpool!  :)
Check the FV in each rack of the FX and check your patch level. Sometimes they get saved with it down and when you load it the patch comes back up that way. Another thing that can cause it is CONTOL assignments have been carried over from another patch. But I would be willing to bet it is a FV or PATCH LEVEL issue.

bob e

This thread has me feeling close to the edge...

Bob E aka MIDIme

jackmazzotti

chasing sounds i fell off the edge into the gates of delirium

Toby Krebs

Most of us here are older I would assume. I don't know any players in my area under 40 who would go near a GR55/VG99/GR33 etc...

Elantric

QuoteI don't know any players in my area under 40 who would go near a GR55/VG99/GR33 etc...

Same here - When I show off any of the gear we talk about here, VG-99, GR-55,  - even Variax and HD-500  - all the guitar players I run into under age 50 swiftly turn a blind eye and tell me they never want to be "too techie",  like I am. (?)
- and then tell me:

"thats why I prefer being just a normal guitar player".

bassman4d521

and that's why I prefer NOT being just a normal guitar player!!

aliensporebomb

Actually, the number one thing I get from guitar players young and old when I play live is this:

"This is thing is amazing, HOW COME I DON'T KNOW ABOUT IT?".  I try to tell them "I think Roland ran out of money when it came to the ad budget for this product."

Regarding Steve Howe/Yes and this patch - I'll have to try it.  But Tales from Topographic Oceans was a two record (two CD) set with four very long tracks.  What sound are we talking about?

Elantric

Between 2007 and 2010, I saw quite a few VG-99 ads in Guitar Player mag. They typically ran a full page color ad with the VG-99 sitting on top of a pile of the "gear this replaces".   

Ultimately the 6 week functional shelf life of the Roland VG-99 In store demonstration kiosk hurt sales. People figure if it breaks that fast just sitting in a store display, it may never last a tour.   

aliensporebomb

Interesting.  I remember that ad and saw one other but I only saw it ran once or twice.  And I was a GP and Guitar World subscriber at the time.  I was looking for something interesting and advanced and maybe the ad's composition and design just didn't really catch attention compared to some ads.

Maybe if they had a bikini model holding a GK guitar and.....I kid, I kid!   

Seriously I think it is worse than that - many Roland ads are awfully innocuous and don't catch your attention.

It wasn't immediately clear that it even was a V-Guitar product that I can recall (we should have JPEGs of those ads for the archives here).

As far as the kiosk, I literally went to my local GC several days a week for over a year playing around with the VG-99 with the Brian Moore guitar they had set up for it before my wife surprised me with the VG (the guitar center guys probably said "please, Mrs. Bomb, he won't leave"). 

The kiosk vanished maybe 18 months ago?  Now they have an old Roland Ready strat earmarked to test the nonexistent GR-20 (according to the label on it and it is also owned by Roland and not for sale).  They have both a GC-1 and a G-5 for sale though.  Oddly that store doesn't even have a GR-55 for testing even though they have them for sale although another local store has this:

Lit by internal flourescent lights, nearly 12 feet tall and has space for 3 guitars plus a GR-55 plus a single mono cube amp and they have another kiosk 1/3rd the size of this with another ESP GK-only guitar plugged into a 55 into another cube.  Where's the FRFR stereo setup?  Seriously. 

Toby Krebs

The last 8 gigs or so I have played at various venues all I have used for amplification is a Roland KC300 and/ or 2 alto powered 10 in. cabinets. And yes other guitar players at these gigs ask me where my"amps" are and why I have those PA thingies behind me LOL! It's not as if they can't hear where my sounds are coming from.I play pretty loud most of the time. As for the music store and Rolands non-marketing of the GR55/VG99 it is strange to me. I have told the local G.C. manager here to set up a small GR55-FRFR rig and he will sell them all day long.Mentioned it many times. They never do it. The sales staff will work you over to sell you a Swollen Pickle/Golden Cello/Slash Wah/ and an extended warranty on it. I often engage some of the staff in conversations about things Roland /GR and they glaze over pretty quickly. Very strange indeed.

aliensporebomb

Ssssh!  You're threatening the status quo with your nerdy sci-fi guitar processors! 

I get the idea that's what they think.