IOS: Connecting USB Class Compliant MIDI / Audio (Battery Power)

Started by Elantric, September 24, 2013, 01:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/09/use-ipad-music-control-every-way-cables-wireless/

How to Use the iPad for Music Control: Cables, Wireless, MIDI, OSC

by Nicolas Bougaïeff
Apple's iPad Camera Connection Kit, providing a USB port, as connected to a first-gen iPad. (CC-BY) Håkan Dahlström Photography

Apple's iPad Camera Connection Kit, providing a USB port, as connected to a first-gen iPad. (CC-BY) Håkan Dahlström Photography

You know the possibilities are significant, but how do you explore them? iPad, Ableton Live, MIDI, OSC, Wi-Fi, MIDI ... how can you connect your iPad to other tools for music control?

We brought in an expert, Nicolas Bougaïeff, Creative Director at Liine, to explain the different routes, including not only wireless, but wired solutions, too. Liine is the maker of Lemur and popular Ableton Live control apps (LiveControl 2 being the most recent). Nicolas naturally builds on that expertise, but the lessons here apply to a range of iOS apps. This tutorial should answer some questions for beginners and fairly advanced users alike. -PK

The iPad is an amazing tool to make music and controller apps can be very powerful. Lemur, for example, enables you to control other apps running on the same iPad, apps running on another iPad, software running on a laptop such as Ableton Live, or even hardware such as synthesizers and drum machines.

But connecting apps together can be confusing. This article provides a reference to the various options for iOS connectivity, including a focus on controlling Ableton Live. Lemur will be the main example used during the article, but the information contained here is certainly relevant to any iPad control app.

What Is the Difference Between MIDI and OSC?

MIDI is a protocol invented in the early 1980s for connecting music gear. It's not the best, or the fastest, but it is the standard. MIDI is supported by just about every piece of music hardware and software manufactured in the past 30 years, and that now includes iPads and iPhones. Starting with iOS 5, Apple has made the CoreMIDI library available, which enables MIDI transmission over network (i.e. Network MIDI) and hardware adapters (various options described later in this article). MIDI support is now a more or less standard feature in professional iOS music apps.

OSC is a protocol invented in the late 1990s that offers many improvements:

Higher bandwidth (more information flowing faster)
    Transmission over ethernet. Ed.: technically, MIDI can run on any transport, Ethernet included, but OSC is built from the ground up as a networking protocol.)
    High-resolution data types (rather than 7/14 bit supported by MIDI)
    Open-ended URL-type addressing scheme (rather than port/channel MIDI system)

While OSC is very powerful, MIDI remains the most widely-supported standard. Some apps support MIDI, some apps support OSC and some apps, such as Lemur, support both.

[Note to LiveControl 2 users: LiveControl 2 relies exclusively on MIDI messages, so all MIDI connection options supported by Lemur are available to you.]
iConnectMIDI4+.

iConnectMIDI2+, from the rear.

Cables and Wi-Fi Networks

Connections between your iPad apps and other physical devices (laptop, synthesizer) can be made either over a Wi-Fi network or with a cable. MIDI apps can be easily used either over a Wi-Fi network or with hardware cables. OSC apps can only easily be used over Wi-Fi.

Wi-Fi connections, while usually stable, can occasionally suffer from interference, drop-outs, or jitter. This is more likely to happen when you play in a new venue where you have little control over the networks present in the room. This is obviously an important risk to take into account when planning a public, live performance. CoreMIDI-compatible apps over hardware cables give you a 100%-guaranteed connection and the lowest possible latency between the iPad and laptop, as responsive as hardware MIDI controllers.

Ed.: Your wifi card can also die on you, which happened to me recently on my MacBook Pro, so having a backup connection strategy can be appealing!

You might also want to read this recent Synthtopia write-up of performance tests being done by a Wi-Fi MIDI adapter maker:

Can Wireless MIDI Be As Fast As Wired MIDI?
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/09/21/can-wireless-midi-be-as-fast-as-wired-midi/

But as a commenter notes, those figures are average, not worst-case, scenarios. Reliable performance is the key here, as Nick says.

From top: Liine's Lemur, in-app editing; launching in LiveControl 2. These apps can be used wirelessly or with a cable.

Wi-Fi routers and ad-hoc networks

There are two different ways to connect your iPad to your laptop over a Wi-Fi network. The first option is to connect both to the same router — for example, the router you may already have for your internet connection. The second option is to create a computer-to-computer network, otherwise known as an ad-hoc network.

Connecting through a router works just fine for many people. Depending on the sort of work you're doing, this could work fine for you too. However, you must consider that you will experience higher latency when connecting through a router. It could take up to 200-300ms for fader movements and button taps to reach the computer. If you're programming beats in real time, that can be quite long! On the other hand, if you're just riding volume faders, the difference might not matter.

Connecting through an ad-hoc network is a little bit more work, but you can achieve very low latency, typically down to the 10-20 ms range. There are many good guides on how to create and manage ad-hoc networks for OS X and all versions of Windows. You can check out the many articles on http://support.liine.net or a quick Google or YouTube search will yield many results. Ed.: On Mac, this is as simple as choosing "Create Network" from the Wi-Fi menu, and Windows requires only a couple of additional steps.

Static IPs deserve a short mention. Static IPs are only necessary as a last resort, when all previous ad-hoc connection attempts have failed. While not necessary, learning about configuring static IPs may be worth the effort to you if you wish to be in total control of the network settings.

OSC over Wi-Fi

OSC was designed to work over networks and does so very well. In most cases, Wi-Fi is the only way to connect OSC-compatible iPad apps to your laptop.

OSC over Cable

There is an option for using OSC-compatible iOS apps over a hardware cable, but given that it uses the Personal Hotspot for something other than Apple's (apparent) intention, it could be considered something of a workaround. This option is largely untested, but a quick trial at the Liine HQ seemed promising.

If you have a 3G/LTE (4G)-enabled device, unlocked, or with a carrier that allows tethering, then you will be able to use the Personal Hotspot feature to enable a network connection between your iPad and laptop through an Apple Sync Cable (USB to 30-pin or USB to Lightning). Note that Cellular Data must be turned on in order for the Personal Hotspot function to be available. If you're abroad and want to avoid any unwanted charges, make sure to turn Data Roaming off, while keeping Cellular Data on. Once a network connection is established in this way, OSC and Network MIDI can be freely used while also charging your device at the same time. If you are a devout OSC user who performs live, this may be an avenue worth exploring. For further information, this Apple knowledge base entry may be helpful: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4517

In addition, some users have reported successfully using OSC apps over the Apple Sync Cable by first jailbreaking the device, then using MyWi. This author strongly recommends against doing so, as you would break the Apple EULA and effectively void your warranty.

MIDI over Wi-Fi

MIDI over Wi-Fi is supported natively on OS X through a built-in tool called Network MIDI, which you can find in /Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup. On Windows, rtpMIDI emulates Apple's Network MIDI driver. Network MIDI is a subset of CoreMIDI functions that applies to transmitting MIDI data over a network. Virtually all CoreMIDI-compatible apps support Network MIDI.

Lemur supports CoreMIDI but, exceptionally, does not support Network MIDI. Instead, Liine created Lemur Daemon, a utility that allows up to eight MIDI ports, thus circumventing Network MIDI's limitation of a single MIDI port. Such flexibility is necessary in many professional situations.

MIDI over Cable

You have a choice between three types of iOS MIDI adapters, as well as Network MIDI over the Apple Sync Cable.

1) The first type, and most highly recommended, is devices that are both USB- and CoreMIDI-compliant. That means that the device plugs into your iPad at one end, and plugs into a USB port of your laptop at the other end. These devices provide a direct connect between your iPad and laptop.The best in this category are the iConnect MIDI line of products, such as iConnectMIDI2+ and iConnectMIDI 4+. The Alesis iO Dock unfortunately does not support SysEx messages, thus making it incompatible with many MIDI apps (including LiveControl 2) and hardware synthesizers. The Behringer iS202, although untested, appears to be a working model and its specs do specifically mention SysEx support. For any of these devices, the setup looks like this:
iPad -> iConnectMIDI2+ -> Laptop.
iConnectMIDI2+, connected to an iPad and MacBook.

2) The second type of iOS MIDI adapter standard 5-pin MIDI cables coming from your iPad. This is very useful if you want to use your iPad to control a hardware synthesizer, but if you want to connect to your laptop then you will additionally need a soundcard with physical MIDI ports or a MIDI interface. A good example of this type of adapter is the iRig MIDI II, which plugs into the iPad at one end, and has MIDI cables at the other end. A typical setup in this case would be:
iPad -> iRig MIDI II -> Audio/MIDI Interface -> Laptop.
An iRig connection with the iPad.

3) The third type of connection relies on Apple's Camera Connection Kit. That is a small adapter that plugs into your iPad and simply has a female USB socket. You can then connect any Class Compliant audio/MIDI interface (Class Compliant means that you don't need to install any drivers, it just works). If the goal is to connect the iPad to the laptop, then most elegant solution is to use a simple 1in/1out USB to MIDI adapter, such as the ESI Midi Mate II, M-Audio Uno or the iConnectMIDI1. As with type 2 above, you still need to connect the physical MIDI cables from the interface to another interface on your computer. A setup in this case could resemble the following:
iPad -> CCK -> M-Audio Uno -> Audio Interface -> Laptop.

As you can see, the first option is the simplest and involves the least amount of things, whereas the second and third option require more cables and connections. For any serious musician using an iPad and MIDI apps, this author highly recommend the iConnectMIDI2+ and iConnectMIDI4+.

Finally, if you have Personal Hotspot enabled (described in the 'OSC over Cable' section above), you may be able to connect with Network MIDI over the Apple Sync Cable. This one hasn't been tested in-house, but in theory it should work for any CoreMIDI app or for apps with custom MIDI protocols such as the Lemur Daemon.

Conclusions

The iPad is a very powerful platform for music-making, and many apps support OSC, MIDI or both. Lemur supports both. You can connect the iPad to the external world over Wi-Fi or cables, but not all combinations of OSC/MIDI and Wi-Fi/cables are optimal. The most reliable type of connection is MIDI over hardware cables.

Whatever the app you're using, here are some general rules about connections on iOS that always apply.

Apps that use MIDI can connect over Wi-Fi or compatible hardware adapters.
    Apps that use OSC can connect over Wi-Fi.

There are three types of iOS MIDI adapters. The most efficient for connecting to a laptop are the iConnectMIDI2+ and iConnectMIDI4+. Other options, such as the iRig MIDI II or the Camera Connection Kit (CCK) give you the option to connect to hardware gear with MIDI cables, but involve more connections and devices to connect to a laptop.

More on Liine.

More on Nick, in the great Attack magazine, and a series called "Job Envy":

CREATIVE DIRECTOR – NICOLAS BOUGAÏEFF

http://www.attackmagazine.com/features/job-envy/nicolas-bougaieff/

Elantric

Good article on X-Bee based wireless MIDI transmission link

http://practicalusage.com/?p=874

Elantric

Elantric

I abandoned further effort on all IOS/ USB Audio Interfaces that employ the iPad Headset Jack for Input or restrict all Audio I/O to iPad to 16 bits - Modern IOS Amp Sims ( Positive Grid BIAS/JAMUP PRO) reveal the shortcomings of 16 bit USB Audio. The latest iPads running IOS6-7-8 now support Multi-channel 24 bit Audio.
http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

All iPad Amp Sims work best with a full 24 bit Audio stream to get anywhere near a Kemper / Axe-FX experience using latest IOS Amp Sims ( Positive Grid BIAS, Amplitube, Yonac ToneStack, etc)

Many interfaces state "24 bit A/D input - yet their USB Streaming audio IC often truncates this down to 16 bits - which will reveal sonic limitations under specific conditions

Playing guitar with volume  on "10" all the time -you may not hear the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit.

When judging the audio performance of an iPad Audio interface:

1) Use a stock electric guitar with passive electronics

2) Set the guitar volume  to "3",

3) Disable all Noise gates!, and play a high gain Lead Amp preset

4) Choose your favorite IOS amp sim and play all styles of patches,

5) Palm Mute the strings and dont play  - now listen to the background noise  - random sputters,  snaps,  crackles pops in the audio signal and  white noise will always be lurking to destroy your emotive live guitar tone,  which must now compete with the noise floor and hiss of your specific audio interface's pre amp, Analog to Digital converter IC,  and USB audio streaming interface IC .

Remember you must disable/ turn Off any Noise gates in your IOS Guitar Amp sim software!

Interfaces that fail my test above due to their apparent poor noise floor are:

* Alesis I|O-2
* Alesis IDock
* Behringer IS-202 iPad dock

You really need a full 24 bit signal path with low noise instrument preamp, else you must enable Noise Gates in your IOS Amp sim software and leave them on all the time, and for me this ruins my dynamic range  - and I loose the ability to "roll the guitar volume down to clean up" a high gain Amp sim in Positive Grid BIAS (my main objective here) 

Here's a rundown of my own discovered work around on trying to successfully get 3 different iPads (and now an Iphone 6 Plus on IOS 8 )  working with USB Class Compliant Audio and MIDI gear

In essence:

* Ipads or iPhones must be running IOS 7 or newer

* When using a USB Class Compliant interface, with the IOS device+ USB Camera Adapter (CCK)  - Avoid using a "non-powered" USB Hub ( due to added noise and/or non operation 

*  For lowest noise Run a Powered USB Hub on Li-Ion Battery power 

read more here about the importance of the order with which you power up the devices here:
Connecting USB Audio Interfaces, MIDI Controllers, and Keyboards to the iPad
http://www.akaipro.com/kb/article/1502
iPad Power - not as much as you might think

Many USB devices draw their power right from the USB cable that connects them to their host (a computer or an iPad).  The iPad can also supply power to connected USB devices.  The USB ports on computers supply 5V and 100mA-500mA of power.  However, through the course of several updates and revisions, Apple has decreased the amount of electrical power the iPad is allowed to supply connected USB devices.

This means that some devices that draw only a little power can survive off of what the iPad supplies, but devices that require more power may not find the iPad USB connection sufficient.  Furthermore, Apple can and has altered how much juice the iPad can offer connected devices, so what may have worked in the past, may not necessarily work in the future.

When you connect, the order matters

You have a MIDI or Audio device, a USB cable, the Apple Camera Connection Kit adapter, and your iPad...

Even if the device you are connecting requires very little power, if you connect them in the wrong order, you're likely to get the following error: Accessory Unavailable.  The attached accessory uses too much power.

ipad power error

To maximize the likelihood of a successful connection with an audio or MIDI device, you need to...

Connect the USB cable to your Audio or MIDI device first.
Next, connect the other end of the USB cable to the iPad Camera Connection Kit adapter.
Last, connect the Camera Connection Kit adapter (with the USB cable already attached) to the 30-pin port on the bottom of your iPad.
Wait 10 seconds.  The iPad will take a few moments to fully recognize a connected device.
If you still get the error above, or if the class compliant device does not function within 10 seconds of connection, the device likely requires more power than the iPad can supply.

Essentially we are using the same strategy detailed here

http://www.rolandus.com/support/knowledge_base/view/23658857

1. Power up your USB hub (connect the AC adapter or the large battery to the USB hub).
2. Connect the USB hub to the iPad using the Camera Connector of the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit.
3. Connect the Audio Interface to the USB hub.

Note: Operation may be unstable if you use a USB hub of a type that does not have a connected power supply, or if you connect the DUO-CAPTURE mk2 directly to the iPad.

The powered  USB Hub is required to address a phenomena known as "power on inrush current " to the USB circuitry in many USB Audio interfaces.

This USB  power on inrush current is the specific reason most iPad users see "This devices uses too much power" error message on the iPad.

If wanting to use Positive Grid's BIAS for amp sim in a live situation (no noise gates ) the Noise Floor of the Audio Interface plays a major role. While I'm sure there are better Audio interfaces out there (Like an Avalon Mic Pre with an RME UCX interface ) , for my needs the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4  works well in a cost / performance ratio for my needs and is easily replaced if stolen. 

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 is a great Audio /MIDI Interface (24bit@44.1,48,96K, clean Mic Pre's, full direct monitor  / stereo Mono controls, 5pin DIN MIDI I/O)

Follow my procedure below and use a Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 audio  / midi interface with your iPad- then you can use any 5 pin MIDI foot controller ( via 5 pin MIDI to Scarlet 2i4 MIDI Input) AND MULTIPLE USB Class compliant MIDI Devices ( Fishman Tripleplay, Line6 FBV MKII, Korg NanoKontrol, etc - all at the same time via USB to the powered USB Hub

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Review
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8291.msg74433#msg74433

Find these on Ebay for under  $150 [/i]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOCUSRITE-SCARLETT-2i4-USB-INTERFACE-USED-/360908811181?pt=US_Computer_Recording_Interfaces&hash=item5407d76bad

------------------
Here is how to use Focusrite Scarlett 2i4  fully mobile with iPad (no AC Power required)

First gather all Components:

(A) Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
http://global.focusrite.com/scarlett-2i4

(B)   (USB 2.0  Power "Y" cable) = Cables to Go 28108 USB 2.0 B Male to 2 USB A Male Y-Cable
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013LSFJI/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(C) USB 2.0 Powered Hub  - I'm having good results with this one:
http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-7-Port-USB-Switch-Black/dp/B007S642BW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389602351&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+hub+switches
eForCity 7-Port USB Hub with ON / OFF Switch

(list of working Powered USB Hubs is here)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10326.msg74451#msg74451

EDIT

Now using this one here
EasyAcc USB 2.0 7 Port Hub Bus-Powered and Self-Powered 2-in-1 Hub Long 3.3 ft USB Data Cable Portable Hub for MacBook, Ultrabooks,Microsoft Surface, Laptops, Black
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PFEMTGY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(D)  DC Coax plug to USB adapter cable to Power the USB Hub
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-Male-to-3-5mm-Barrel-Connector-Jack-5V-DC-Power-Cable-15-inch-Black-US-/360658147811

(E) External Lithium Battery Pack
I'm using this one -  Limeade L180X - 18000mAh
http://www.amazon.com/External-Battery-Pack-Limeade-L180X/dp/B00C78YJQY/ref=pd_bxgy_cps_text_y

Alternate Lower cost  Battery packs are here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00G52MHCG

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00GYVSTGQ
An important thing to consider -the noise floor of your audio signal will be directly impacted by the quality of the power supply you intend to use. I'm getting much lower noise using this Limeade Lithium battery pack  - and when I attempted to use typical AC powered power adapters from my USB Hub - I noticed either a whining type background noise from a poor quality Power pack - due to the DC-DC HF Switching Power supplies used these days, or much 120Hz AC Power Hum, particularly if you use a guitar with Single coil PU's. So if you try an alternate type with success - please report Make /Model Battery power pack that works for you - but its important to have dual USB outputs  - one for the Audio interface (Use a 2.1Amps type designed for iPad works well) and another 1Amp USB power port for the USB  Hub - to power USB MIDI controllers .     

(F) Genuine Apple CCK (Camera Connection Kit):  For latest iPads (or Iphone/iPod Touch 5 running IOS7) - Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

For older iPads (or  Iphone 4S running IOS7)  - Apple CCK (Camera Connection Kit)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit?fnode=3a

Hook up Procedure

Step# 1) Connect the USB 2.0 "Y" cable's Black USB Type B Data plug to the rear of the Scarlett 2i4

Step# 2) Connect the USB 2.0 "Y" cable's Black USB Type A Data plug to one of the USB Hub's output ports

Step# 3) Connect the USB 2.0 "Y" cable's Red USB Type A Power plug to the  2.1 Amp USB Power Output jack on the Battery Pack

Step# 4) Now take the USB Hub's Power adapter cable adapter cable and connect one end to the DC Power input jack on the USB Hub, and connect the other end to the 1.0 Amp  USB Power Output jack on the Battery Pack and power up the Battery Pack. If you enable the 48V Mic phantom power on the Scarlett 2i4, you should see the red Mic phantom power LED indicator glow.

Step#5) Connect the Apple USB Camera Adapter to the iPad.

Step#6) After doing Steps# 1-5 in sequence - now finally power up the iPad and make the connection of the USB Hub output to the Apple CCK on the iPad  - and the Scarlet 2i4 front VU lights surrounding the input knobs will flash 3 or 4 times during the first 5 seconds after you make the iPad connection - then you will see the small "USB Connect" led on Scarlett 2i4 front panel glow steadily - and with headphones you will hear audio Inputs are working if the front panel "Direct Monitor knob is set full counter-clockwise.  -

Step#7) ) Launch your favorite IOS Guitar Amp sim (Bias, Jamup, AmpKit) and set your Inputs inside the app, rotate the Scarlett 2i4's front "Direct Monitor" knob to the right (fully clockwise).  - Then enable low latency mode inside your IOS App  and rock out 

Step#8) Special note for Fishman FTP Users

Connect the Fishman FTP Receiver to any spare input on the USB Hub  - and pair the FTP receiver with the FTP Controller on the guitar and launch any IOS Synth or MIDI input Monitor app.  I can drive IK Sampletank or IOS Garageband Instruments with FTP, and plug my Guitar into the Scarlett 2i4 and use Positive Grid's Bias  -  all simultaneously at once using my iPad Air with no dropouts or anomalies.
You may also add additional MIDI Controllers  - be sure they are  USB Class compliant MIDI devices - like Korg nanoKontrolers, etc   [/b]

If you want to use a different audio interface, same strategy above should work for other USB Powered Class Compliant Audio /MIDI Interfaces too.

Today I had Audio with the Scarlett 2i4, 5pin DIN MIDI I/O , and three Korg Nanocontrollers + an IK Multimedia IrigKeys all running at the same time with my iPAd Air  - rather powerful system.

This works very well and is not too expensive. Observe it does not provide power for the iPad  - but neither do most other battery powered iPad Audio  / MIDI systems. I would use a Stereo D.I. Box or Rolls PM-351 - between the TRS Outputs on the Scarlett and PA for stage use.  This rig  meets my needs better than the trail of other iPad interfaces i have tested. -its been going great with clean Audio and lots of MIDI performance and MIDI CC# control on my iPad Air for 6 hours now - thanks to the Limeade L180X - 18000mAh External Lithium Battery Pack.

Also pay attention to the type of USB Cable you use:

Use the right USB Cable.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11086.msg80947#msg80947

Elantric

I should point out I tried a Lightning version of this Hub  - with the goal of providing a shortcut and lower cost (no Apple CCK required)!

this one:
http://m.dckina.com/mobile.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1555

It actually worked - but eventually every  3 -5 minutes I would experience temporary USB data connection loss  - and random audio drop outs which took 5 seconds for the audio to make a new USB data connection again   Since this USB Hub Includes a non qualified Lightning port I suspect the culprit is the Apple mFI qualified External Hardware check routine in latest IOS 7. but this is only a  theory. The latest Apple mFI spec requires the third party vendors to use apple supplied mFI verification ICs in their hardware designs - and this Lightning 4 port HUB does not have one.

EDIT New information here
Elantric's iPad / iPhone Music Blog
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16964.msg127398#msg127398

https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/

But if you follow the steps provided in 1st post in this  thread  - you should discover this works very well and is not too expensive. It does not provide power for the iPad  - but neither do most other battery powered iPad Audio  / MIDI systems. I would use a Stereo D.I. Box or Rolls PM-351 - between the TRS Outputs on the Scarlett and PA for stage use.  This rig  meets my needs better than the trail of other iPad interfaces i have tested. -its been going great with clean Audio and lots of MIDI performance and MIDI CC# control on my iPad Air for 6 hours now. 

Elantric

I should point out that despite the claims from IK Multimedia that latest IOS Amplitube version 3.2  now supports USB Audio Interfaces on IOS7 , in my testing the Scarlett 2i4 never worked,  however this one app was the stumbling block. The Scarlett 2i4 works great with all my other IOS Music creation apps. (Jamup Pro, Bias, Garageband, Meteor Multitrack, Auria DAW)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amplitube/id373524000?mt=8

DF400

Thanks Elantric, I picked up a Scarlett 2i4 and am very pleased with this interface - great unit for under $200US. I opted for the Plugable 4 port USB Hub for my iPad and FTP - which works great. I would like the option of portable power though - thanks for posting.

Dunny Daw

Hey, Elantric,

Thanks for all this info.  I had previously purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 to trial FTP with my laptop (a Win 8 OS, not Mac unfortunately) and with this info I will also try to get it running on my iPad (gen 1).  If it works, I might then move to an iPad Air.

I recall you or someone making a commment in a post somewhere about some particular steps to follow so that the iPad will download drivers so it can run the 2i4 (or any audio interface).  I've done some searching but can't find the post.  Perhaps I am mixing things up in my mind, but is this correct?

Or do I just simply connect up like you say and it should all be good?

Kind regards, and thanks for all your comments and info.

(And by the way, I probably should stop reading your posts.  Every time I do, I think, "There's something I need to try.  All I need to do is buy all this stuff, then I can try it ..."!!)

Elantric

No drivers required.
Because the Scarlett series is USB Class Compliant.

You might have read about the Scarlett 18i6, which lacks hardware buttons to configure the XLR / TRS Combo input jacks to Instrument inputs, and enable the pad .

That one needs to be hooked up to a PC/Mac and run the Focusrite MixControl app first - adjust and save the input configuration to your liking - then unplug and then connect to the iPad .

The Scarlett 2i4 does not need any of that, as it has all the knobs, switches built in - no external config editor required - which makes it perfect for iPad, as its the only Focusrite box for $150 street price with 24bit audio I/O and 5pin DIN MIDI I/O that works with iPad

Elantric

http://bensbargains.net/redirect/ravpower-element-10400mah-power-bank-26-at-amazon-347684/
Amazon has the RAVPower Element 10400mAh External Battery Pack Charger Power Bank (Dual USB Outputs, Ultra Compact Design) for $33 - $7 off at checkout with coupon code 4VTCP6QA [Limited uses] = $26 with free shipping on $35+. Charges one device at maximum speed or two at 3A total.

This is perfect for powering USB Class Compliant Audio Interfaces with use with iPad for mobile Guitar rigs power

Orren Merton

This is fantastic Elantric! I was wondering how feasible having an entire "pro" mobile live/recording rig is, and this is one of the most robust I've seen, with synth and guitar capabilities. Thanks for sharing!

Orren

Elantric

Thanks! I do feel this opens doors for many others interested in using iPad for live gig, or field sound design recordings out in the rough.

Next time you are hot air balooning over south of France, or riding a train , bring this rig and record your album   

tomtheguitarguy

Quote from:  Elantric on January 12, 2014, 07:14:09 PM

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-7-Port-USB-Switch-Black/dp/B007S642BW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389602351&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+hub+switches
eForCity 7-Port USB Hub with ON / OFF Switch

I've got one of these hubs (the 4 hub version) and for some reason, it's not working with the FTP.  I plug the hub into the CCK or Lightning USB and it lights up, but the lights just continue to blink on the FTP and they don't pair.  Doesn't matter if I'm using the AC adapter or not...
http://www.tomtheguitarguy.com ~ http://www.tomcatsband.com
CIJ Blue Floral w/ McVay G Bender
G & L Will Ray Signature ASAT w/ Hipshot B Bender
JTV-69 James Tyler Variax
Fishman TriplePlay ~ Roland GR-55
Dr. Z RxES 2x12
Quilter MicroPro200 10" ~ Quilter Aviator 8" ~ Quilter Steelaire
Bose L1 Classic

Elantric

First, This specific hub Must be powered by a separate clean +5V at 1amp minimum Power adapter.
It will not work with iPad+CCK without power.   

Check a couple things

* Must use a real Apple USB Camera Adapter

* Must use a Power adapter with very low noise / low ripple with at least 1 amp (2-3 Amps is better ) to power the USB Hub

And I do things in this order

1) Connect clean 1amp Power to the USB Hub

2) Connect the FTP Receiver to the Powered USB Hub

3) Connect the Apple USB Camera Adapter to iPAd

4) Connect the output of the Powered USB Hub to the Apple CCK.

QuoteI've got one of these hubs (the 4 hub version) and for some reason, it's not working with the FTP.  I plug the hub into the CCK or Lightning USB and it lights up, but the lights just continue to blink on the FTP and they don't pair.  Doesn't matter if I'm using the AC adapter or not...

Sounds like a poor power supply is powering the USB Hub  - no harm in using a +5VDC @ 2Amp or 2.5Amp supply for this type USB Hub. Be sure you are NOT using a +12V supply to power this type  USB Hub   

Remember a good test of your Apple USB Camera Adapter (Camera Connection Kit ( aka "CCK")  is plug the CCK into the iPad, then plug the FTP Receiver directly into the CCK ( No hub required )

The FTP should work   

Here is a pic of my My FTP Receiver working with iPAd - no need for a USB Hub. Verify you can do the same before trying the procedure in the 1st post in the thread.

FTP receiver working and synced with iPAd 2 and Apple 30 pin CCK adapter

FTP receiver working and synced with iPad Mini with Apple Lightning USB Camera Adapter 

tomtheguitarguy

Yeah, mine works fine with just the CCK or Lightning USB adapter (I only buy the Apple ones).

Hub will work fine on the computers (PC and Mac)

I used the power supply that was included with the hub.  Guess I'll have to get another one - or perhaps the Limeade one you mentioned.

So I can FTP with my iPad (iOS 7), but I want to use BIAS / Amplitude along with it and see if I can get a good rig going.  May sell my POD500HD if it works too good!

Thanks Elantric...
http://www.tomtheguitarguy.com ~ http://www.tomcatsband.com
CIJ Blue Floral w/ McVay G Bender
G & L Will Ray Signature ASAT w/ Hipshot B Bender
JTV-69 James Tyler Variax
Fishman TriplePlay ~ Roland GR-55
Dr. Z RxES 2x12
Quilter MicroPro200 10" ~ Quilter Aviator 8" ~ Quilter Steelaire
Bose L1 Classic

Dunny Daw

Quote from:  Elantric on January 16, 2014, 08:24:06 AM
No drivers required.
Because the Scarlett series is USB Class Compliant.

You might have read about the Scarlett 18i6, which lacks hardware buttons to configure the XLR / TRS Combo input jacks to Instrument inputs, and enable the pad .

That one needs to be hooked up to a PC/Mac and run the Focusrite MixControl app first - adjust and save the input configuration to your liking - then unplug and then connect to the iPad .

The Scarlett 2i4 does not need any of that, as it has all the knobs, switches built in - no external config editor required - which makes it perfect for iPad, as its the only FocusRite box for $150 street price with 24bit audio I/O and 5pin DIN MIDI I/O that works with iPad

Thanks, Elantric,

Yes I think this is what I was reading - after much searching I re-found your reply no 20 in this thread, and that is what I was thinking of:-
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10138.0.

But thanks for the clarification.  I'm still looking to trial it all, but hopefully will be OK.

Regards

Elantric

Just wanted to update this thread with updated info.

The cheapest path to getting the Focustrite Scarlett 2i4 working with iPad / iPhone 5 / ipod Touch  on IOS7 is
the Pluggable 4 port powered hub $20
  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P2BY5I/ref=oh_details_o09_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works well - mostly due to the included 5VDC@2.5Amp power Supply walwart.

Using the Pluggable 4 port powered hub, I have had the Scareltt 2i4, Fishman Tripleplay, and two Korg NanoKontrollers all running at once providing Audio / MIDi I/O to my iPad2 / ipad Mini / Ipad Air - just use the appropriate Apple USB Camera adapter for the dock type on your iPad   

But if you want at least a -12dBu improvement in Audio Signal to Noise ratio, and far less hum when you roll your guitar volume pot down, (and true mobility)  - concentrate on the power supply type used for the USB Hub, replace the AC WalWart that powers the USB Hub with a  2.1Amp USB Battery power pack.

I'm getting excellent audio performance using either of these Battery packs below, both are designed for use as iPad Mobile battery chargers

*  RAVPower Element 10400mAh External Battery Pack Charger Power Bank (Dual USB Outputs, Ultra Compact Design) $32

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009V5X1CE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
or

* (my #1 choice)
Limeade L180X - 18000mAh External Lithium Battery Pack 
http://www.amazon.com/External-Battery-Pack-Limeade-L180X/dp/B00C78YJQY/ref=pd_bxgy_cps_text_y

Elantric

Another good High capacity battery pack for running USB Audio Interfaces with iPad is on sale for $32.87

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00GYVSTGQ
Amazon has the QualGear Portable 10400mAh Power Bank for $42.87 - $10 off when click "Save $10" at link above, with coupon code at final checkout = $32.87 with free shipping.

10400 mAh of capacity. Charges Apple iPhones four to five times, an Apple iPad / iPad 2 once, or a Samsung Galaxy S3 thrice
Charges one device at 2.1A or two simultaneously at 4.2A total
Features four Samsung Lithium Ion batteries (2600mAh of capacity per each) to stand out from competition
Compact and stylish. Features LED display to show remaining charge percentage and a progress indicator while charge in progress
Package contents: QualGear QG-PB-10400-W Power Bank, Micro USB cable, user manual, and travel pouch

DF400

Thanks Elanrric,
I ended up ordering the RavPower with the referenced discount coupon - worked like a charm!  I also have the 2i4 and the Plugable 4 port USB, which work great. TVE next step si to get Power to the USB hub from the battery. Would you recommend the USB cable with the pin connector into the power input of the hub to supply power to the 2i4, TRP, etc?

Thanks for the great tips!

Elantric

QuoteI ended up ordering the RavPower with the referenced discount coupon - worked like a charm!  I also have the 2i4 and the Plugable 4 port USB, which work great. TVE next step si to get Power to the USB hub from the battery. Would you recommend the USB cable with the pin connector into the power input of the hub to supply power to the 2i4, TRP, etc?

I still suggest follow the same steps and cable hookups as described in my 1st post above for best results.

Would you recommend the USB cable with the pin connector into the power input of the hub?
Yes
Step#5 ) There is a 5VDC Power jack on the side of the USB Hubs indicated above.  Connect +5VDC power to the USB Hub above  using a USB to coax DC plug DC power cable.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-Male-to-3-5mm-Barrel-Connector-Jack-5V-DC-Power-Cable-15-inch-Black-US-/360658147811

DF400

HoosierMan

A couple control surface apps that I have found helpful are  lpTouch (Logic) and gbRemote.

lpTouch

http://idesignsound.com/iptouch-for-logic-ipad/

A powerful control surface app optimized for the Apple Logic DAW application program on a Mac. **Now a universal app with iOS7 support! **

lpTouch provides mobility and touch screen controls for Logic's commonly used functions on both your iPad and iPhone/iPod touch. With lpTouch & Wi-Fi, you can control record and playback from anywhere in your studio, edit your software instruments, or adjust effects settings. Tired of trying to manipulate tiny controls on the Logic screen with a mouse? lpTouch offers large, usable multi-touch faders and rotary controls to edit send effects, inserts, plug-in instrument parameters, and EQ settings so you can get just the right sound.

Mute or solo any track to evaluate your mix during playback. Arm one or more tracks for recording. Know where you're at with the bar-beat display, and track name and number identification.

lpTouch 2.0 adds the ability to use lpTouch with optimized screens on both 3.5 and 4 inch iPhone and iPod touch devices. With the exception of multi-channel mixing (available on the iPad), functionality is virtually identical on any idevice. lpTouch makes recording away from the computer a breeze.

Use the iOS Settings app to change the look of lpTouch on all devices, either Black or Silver themes.

lpTouch works with the built-in "TouchOSC" control surface driver that is provided by Apple as part of your Logic installation. It uses Logic's Open Sound Protocol (OSC) control surface support. NO NEED TO INSTALL ANY SPECIAL APPLICATIONS OR FILES TO USE LOGIC AND LPTOUCH. All you need is a working Wi-Fi connection between your Mac and your iPad or iPhone.

gbRemote

http://www.delora.com/delora_products/gbremote/gbremote.html

v (2.0)
Transform your iPhone or iPod touch into a remote control for GarageBand running on the Mac. Major feature additions in gbRemote 2.0!

Elantric

DF400

Quote from:  Elantric on January 28, 2014, 01:21:50 PM
Step#5 ) There is a 5VDC Power jack on the side of the USB Hubs indicated above.  Connect +5VDC power to the USB Hub above  using a USB to coax DC plug DC power cable.

Only one observation, the 3.5mm barrel plug was too small. I ended up using a 1.7mm I.D., 4.7mm O.D. for the Plugable unit.