Positive Grid JamUp Pro XT (IOS)

Started by Elantric, April 19, 2013, 01:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://www.positivegrid.com/jamup/

Today I tested several Guitar Amp sims on iPad, and at this hour JamUp Pro wins by a long shot. It can get pricey with all the "in app" purchases for additional Amps,FX, 8 track recorder, Looper, Full assignable MIDI mapping. Now looking at configuring a mobile rig with  iPad Mini, Sonuus i2M Guitar Interface, and KMI Sofstep to control all the functions in JamUp Pro.           

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jamup-pro-xt-amp-effects-processor/id454702113?mt=8

Description
JamUp turns your iPad/iPhone into a powerhouse Multi-Effects Processor, 8-Track Recorder, Loop Station, iTunes Jam Player, Tuner and Metronome for guitar and bass.

- JamUp is the No.1 amp-and-effect app with the highest user ratings.
- Featured worldwide by Macworld, Guitar World, Guitar Player, Premier Guitar & Guitarist.
- Works with Audiobus as input, effect and output unit.

JamUp Pro XT is designed with the JamUp Plug ($19.99, available on Amazon.com), and it works any USB and headset iOS guitar adaptors, StompBox and AirTurn pedal.

JamUp Pro XT offers the largest collection of amp and effects models on iOS platform, it features "Metal Pack", "Classic Pack", "Effect Pack", "Bass Pack" and "Boutique Pack". Each amp model is carefully measured and analyzed based on the actual unit, and it's developed with Positive Grid's MESH MultiStage modeling technology, it offers superior articulation and tube-like touch response, see our user reviews.

JamUp offers a complete 8-Track Recorder System via in-app purchase, you can quickly capture your ideas, record your band or produce complete multi-tracks songs directly in JamUp. You have the ability to import audio from your iTunes music library, copy or paste audio material to/from individual tracks, or other apps like Apple GarageBand. You can export your songs via email, iTunes or SoundCloud.

"The JamUp app is really versatile for the beginner or advanced guitarist. Being able to create killer guitar tones from scratch with the fine selection of amps and effects is is a touch away with the easy to use interface, and a "must have" for all touring guitarists." - Jeff Loomis, Nevermore

"I'm really impressed with JamUp Pro XT. This is easily the best sounding guitar app out there. It took me about 3 minutes to dial in a usable tone to jam with. I bring my iPad with me whenever I travel, and JamUp Pro helps me to keep the ideas flowing when I'm away from the studio." - Keith Merrow

"JamUp is the perfect go to app for mobile devices. I use it for practicing or writing when I'm on tour. And unlike other mobile guitar apps this one actually sounds badass!" - Ola Englund, Feared, Fearedse

"The amp and effects models on offer in JamUp Pro's smartly laid-out interface are well voiced, with surprisingly full dynamic ranges, consistent output levels across a range of gain levels, and a playability that you have to experience to appreciate." - Premier Guitar

"The amps and effects give a wide range of realistic, finely customisable sounds across a broad spectrum of industry favourites." - Macworld

FEATURES:
- Realtime Amp and Multi-Effects processor
- Up to 7 simultaneous stomp + amp + cabinet + rack
- JamUp Pro XT includes 6 amp, 16 stomps & rack models
- In total 36 amp channels and 30 stompboxes and rack models available via in-app purchase
- Complete 8-Track Recorder System (via in-app purchase, not support 3GS)
- ToneSharing, download FREE artist & user created presets, or share your own
- Drag and drop signal path for easy tone creation
- Realistic 3D interface for intuitive controls
- Loop Station with undo feature, start mode selection, synchronized metronome, file sharing
- iTunes Jam player to access your iTunes library with time stretching (pitch/speed) engine
- 64 slot preset manager
- Built-in tuner/metronome
- MIDI learning and assignment
- Audio Copy/Paste
- Support Audiobus in 3 slots

COMPATIBLE ADAPTORS/CONTROLLERS:
- Designed with JamUp Plug (available on Amazon.com for $19.99)
- iRig, Ampkit
- Apogee JAM, Mobile In, iRiffPort, Alesis IO Dock and any iOS USB interface
- Griffin StompBox, StudioConnect
- AirTurn Wireless Footswtich

NOTE: Apple doesn't allow to transfer in-app purchases between apps, amp/fx are not transferable between JamUp Pro XT and JamUp XT. You can upgrade to JamUp Pro XT directly from JamUp XT via in-app purchase.

More Information:
www.positivegrid.com
www.facebook.com/positivegrid

Positive Grid LLC Web SiteJamUp Pro XT - Amp Effects Processor Support
What's New in Version 2.3.1
- Fixed AirTurn icon
- Output option: choose if you connect to headphone or external speaker

- New 8-Track Recorder (via in-app purchase, not support 3GS), it supports iTunes music import, Audio Copy/Paste, and you can share songs via Email, iTunes and SoundCloud.
- Sampler now supports iTunes music import and email sharing.
- New MIDI assignment page, MIDI learning and MIDI On/Off switch.
- Double tap each knob will reset to its default value
- Bug fixes: SoundCloud sharing, Fireball gain, Multi-Head delay

Top In-App Purchases

8-Track Recorder$4.99
Metal Expansion Pack$9.99
Boutique Expansion Pack$9.99
Classic Expansion Pack$9.99
Effect Expansion Pack$9.99
Bass Expansion Pack$9.99
Acoustic$1.99
SansAmp$2.99
Sustain Comp$2.99
OR 30$4.99

myksara

How is the latency? If you remember we sort of concluded on a different thread that it is virtually
impossible to have ipad replace the multifx amp modeling and effects processors due to latency issues
even with apogee jam which probably is considered a better  interface for ipad...forget irig..
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

Elantric

QuoteHow is the latency? If you remember we sort of concluded on a different thread that it is virtually
impossible to have ipad replace the multifx amp modeling and effects processors due to latency issues
even with apogee jam which probably is considered a better  interface for ipad...forget irig..

With my iPad Mini and enabling "Ultra Low Latency" mode (in JamUp Pro XT), and using my Sonuus I2M + Apple Lightning USB Camera Adapter, this is extremely fast, -as fast as using a standard Multi-FX unit, and very clean - first IOS Guitar Input adapter I can use that is clean enough i can disable the damn Noise gates and allow all my full dynamic range of my playing on every patch. 

Here is what I have tried for iPad Guitar Audio Interface
(Bad to Best)
* PRS passive "IOS Guitar Cable"   =  (junk!)
* Peavey AmpKit  = (total junk &*&%)
* IK Multimedia iRIG  = (consistent, but self oscillating feedback on high gain patches on any IOS Amp Sim)
* IK Multimedia iRIG Stomp  - (works OK for headphones, but way too much "hiss" for live performance when feeding self powered PA cabs.
* Line-6 Mobil In   =  (cleaner audio but way too much latency)
* Korg PX5D + Apple CCK = (works well, but must set a clean - no FX patch for best operation)
* Zoom G3 +Apple CCK   = (works well, but must set a clean - no FX patch for best operation)
* Fender G-DEC 3 Thirty = ( works well, but must set a clean - no FX patch for best operation, and its not very portable for hotel room, but perfect for using at small gigs )
* Alesis I|O Dock = works, but a bit large to carry all the time, no MIDI Sysex, and preamps could be better) 
* Alesis I|O 2 + Powered USB Hub+ Apple CCK - similar to I\O dock, but the Guitar Instrument setting clips and distorts too early.
* Sonuus i2M+ Apple CCK (Im in love with this unit! - perfect for "life on the road" - VERY SMALL and CLEAN, and LOW LATENCY)

It has me shouting "Eureka"  - the Sonuus i2M has VERY low Noise on All iPad audio apps. For my needs the Sonuus i2M is a better value than the Apogee Jam, as the i2M has equivalent or better audio performance, + its a great hardware monophonic Guitar to MIDI convertor too!

More here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7347.msg51178#msg51178

and of course the Audio output is supplied by the iPad Headphone Output.

A pro should consider one of these:
Radial Pro AV2 (for iPad)

ProAV1™ and ProAV2™ Multimedia DI
R800 1112 ProAV1 mono DI
R800 1115 ProAV2 stereo DI

'Swiss Army knife' direct box for multi-media
    Easy to use, ultra-quiet passive design
    Eliminates ground loops that cause hum and buzz
    Handles huge transients without distortion

The Radial ProAV1 and ProAV2 are passive direct boxes specifically developed with the audio-video integrator in mind. The ProAV1 features a variety of stereo inputs that are summed mono via a resistive mixer, greatly simplifying signal management. The ProAV2 delivers two discrete channels where full stereo functionality is required.

To eliminate the need for various adaptors, both units are equipped with a 'Swiss Army' array of connectivity options including 1/4" inputs for instruments, RCA and 3.5mm (1/8") connectors for CD players, iPods, video decks and computers. The ProAV1 also features a female XLR input for interfacing equipment with +4dB professional signal levels. The front panel connectors can also be used as thru-puts to allow multiple patch points.

Custom wound Eclipse ET-DB2 transformers are able to withstand exceptionally hot signal levels while maintaining linearity from 20Hz to 20kHz. The resulting smooth Bessel curve is warm and natural, making them particularly adept at handling digital sources that can sound harsh. Transformer isolation further benefits by eliminating hum and buzz caused by ground loops or DC offset problems.

These features combine to make the ProAV1 and ProAV2 'must have' problem solvers for the audio-visual technician's tool kit.

For the price sensitive - the Rolls DB24 is nice too: $58

http://www.rolls.com/pdf/M_DB24.pdf

myksara

Thanks elantric! I am also assuming that sonnus i2m with cck works equally good on ipad2
Now need to search for sonnus in India!
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,

rolandvg99

The Sonuus looks very interesting. The best passive D.I. I've ever used and a true Swiss army knife of signal merging and balancing: http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/jdiduplex.php

http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/images/jdi-duplex/duplexPanelsLG.jpg

Perfect for protecting sensitive gear from the dreaded menace of stray phantom power in a live situation.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

polaris20

JamUp Pro XT works great with the Apogee JAM as well, especially in low latency mode. I agree, it's definitely the best one out there, and I've spent quite a bit of time and own all three majors (JamUp, Amplitube, and AmpKit+).

By the time Ampkit+ and Amplitube finally got Audiobus, I didn't really care anymore, because JamUp had it for ages, and it sounds a lot better. Works great when funneling it into Cubasis with Audiobus.

gerryb

?Jam Up Pro XT "From The Studio To The Stage"?

Here's another vote for JamUp Pro XT. I've always thought the concerns of taking an iPad onstage were overblown, and I think this Death Metal guitarist proves it. Enjoy.

gerryb

myksara

Can some one post settings for their user patches created on jamupXT?
I have purchased a copy too and so far its decent with the apogee jam.
Agree its the best of the lot..I also have amplitube and amplitube slash

Rorster

Nice depiction of this setup. A few questions here. Elantric, I assume that you are using your Sonuus I2M (In lieu of the Jamup plug when using jamup pro XT) to go into your ipad mini? Then your sound output from the ipads "Headphones out" via 1/8"to 1/4" adaptor jack to your interface of choice e.g. home studio, mixer...?  Also regarding the DI box (You suggest this for ipad) Pro AV2, could you specify at which point in the signal chain you are applying this (before the ipads input i.e. guitar going into DI then DI into ipad). Lastly, why do you choose to use an ipad mini instead of a regular ipad? Thanks a bunch for considering my questions.

Elantric

QuoteElantric, I assume that you are using your Sonuus I2M (In lieu of the Jamup plug when using jamup pro XT) to go into your ipad mini?

Correct - Today I view ALL Ipad / iPhone  guitar interfaces that employ a 4 conductor 3.5mm plug into the iPad / iPhone Headset connection as a waste of time and $$ - all suffer too much hiss and noise due to noise from the internal Apple Headset Mic A/D input circuit.

Most Audio interfaces that employ the Dock Port connection are much better (exception being the lame / high latency Line6 MobilIn - avoid that one.)

In my testing I really like my Sonuus I2M and Apple USB Camera Adapter or CCK (Camera Connection Kit) 

QuoteThen your sound output from the ipads "Headphones out" via 1/8"to 1/4" adaptor jack to your interface of choice e.g. home studio, mixer...?

Actually I directly feed the ipads "Headphones out" to a Rolls DB24 DI box - then feed the Stereo XLR outs to anything I want.

Works great!

QuoteLastly, why do you choose to use an ipad mini instead of a regular ipad?

I have a fully loaded 2011 iPad2 64GB Wifi+3G (AT&T) paid $865

It runs fine, but as a fluke at my employers Christmas Party December 2012, I "won" a raffle drawing for a new iPad Mini 32GB.

I know all the Apple advertized specs of the iPad Mini make it appear that it has similar performance and same CPU as my iPad2, but in real world use, the ipad Mini runs rings around my 2 year old iPad2.

For example, my iPad 2 will last about 2 days per charge.

My iPad mini will last about a week per charge and it seems to run most CPU intensive apps noticeably faster than my iPad2.

Due to my reliance on great IOS Music Apps, the next version (ipad 5) is on my radar as a purchase in 7 months.

Rorster

Thanks for the info. And Congrats. The "Christmas fluke" couldn't have been won by a better guy! Good Karma. Speaking of the ipads headphones out, I'm thinking this must be a 1/8 inch "stereo" mini plug which you use with a "stereo" 1/8" to 1/4" adapter to go into the DI box? After more thought, this is only one stereo plug from the ipad. Or do you somehow divide that into 2 mono outputs that then go into the DI box? Thanks again boss.

Elantric

Actually I just run an 8 foot  Male to Male 3.5mm (1/8") TRS cable (one of those new robust Ipad audio cables sold by IK Multimedia ) straight into the female 3.5mm TRS Input Jack ( labled "St. IN") on the Rolls DB-24 STEREO PASSIVE DI BOX. Surprisingly good and flexible with GND lifts and perfectly adequate sonically handy seperate Rotary attenuator pads for Left and Right and its housed in a surprisingly heavy rolled steel shell that will survive being run over endless times if the van accidentally "rolls over the Rolls DB-24" post gig .

Rorster

OK and so many thanks. I'm Sorry to be such a bumbaclot, but when you come out of the Rolls DB-24 STEREO PASSIVE DI BOX into your DAW  what type cable/s (1 or 2 i.e. in stereo or mono)? I'd like to buy everything I need at one time, that's why I'm being so meticulous now.

Rorster

Maybe a better way to phrase this question is this. If a stereo plug is inserted into the DI box from the ipad does the DI box split the signal into R/L mono out signals which can then be routed out into a DAW using 2 separate cables and panned as desired? Thanks again for any helpful answers.

Elantric

All DI boxes I know (including the Rolls DI24) employ XLR outputs which provide balanced audio.

The Rolls DI24 is like two mono DI boxes in one chassis. Two XLR cables are connected from DI24 XLR Outputs to the house PA stage snake box that feeds two channels on the PA mixer board where the sound engineer sets the receiving channel input sensitivity to avoid clipping distortion from my iPad.

At home studio I use two balanced audio  XLR to 1/4" TRS cables from DI24 XLR out to  my DAW interfaces (MOTU 828MK3, Focusrite Scarlet 18i6 ) since they use 1/4" TRS jack for balanced Line Inputs.

Rorster

Thanks for the clarification on this topic. I recall that I've got a couple of older DI boxes in a closet that I needed when I started fooling with using a GT8 (Still have my Digitech 2101 which has 2 XLRs and a pair of 1/4" outs) in order to go out to a stereo power amp as well as to a computer recording setup.  But I later got with a POD X3 Live which again set me free from the need for the DI boxes and I kind of forget what they were used for. Now I'm fooling around with the Gr 55 plus an Axon (Switching between the 2 with Roland US 20) and an iPB10. The iPB10 also has 2 XLRs and a pair of 1/4" outs. I guess this means that I can use the JamUp Pro XT App on my ipad / iPB10 rig straight out as it is.  The JamUp app is cheap compared to other toys we buy and for the price just can't resist. Just hope the tone is there. Sorry to pose another question here but do you think the output from the ipad/JamUp will be sent out of the iPB10s outputs to my stereo power amp??   Another thought is that this setup should allow the ipad to be recharging while running JamUp which would not ordinarily be the case.

Rorster

OK. After further investigation and buying the JamUp Pro XT app. I Fired up the ipad inside the iPB10 case. Opened the JamUp pro and closed the iPB10 app. I Definitely could hear my guitar coming out through my system as well as could adjust parameters via the ipad screen. A definite PLUS.. The parameters were responding from my ipad/iPB10 rig via the ipad screen and I was just getting into tweaking some of them when I abruptly decided that what the hell, this whole thing seems to be working quite well and I thought that maybe the iPB10's foot switches may also be able to control this thing. This did not pan out since as soon I stepped on one of the iPB10's pedals I was automatically transferred to the iPB10's former pedal setup. Oh well. Not all bad though. The initial take is that the JamUp pro XT works through the iPB10 and deserves some further time tweaking the system before too much can be said about it's tonal qualities.

Rorster

Without doing any further testing it has occurred to me that my initial observation is more complicated than I thought.  Yes the Jamup app is operating via the ipad/iPB10's outputs. BUT not as I had assumed. Despite the iPB10 app being OFF I realized that one doesn't even need to have the ipad inserted into the iPB10 for it to work. Therefore the tone coming out via iPB10's L/R outputs was a "combination" of Jamup and whatever preset was stored  on the iPB10 when I opened and began using the Jamup Pro. Since a clean patch was operating on the iPB10 (Despite the iPB10 app being off) I was fooled by my ability to change reverb, volume levels... on the tones of the Jamup Pro. It has just now occurred to me though a possible work around this layering of the 2. Next time I try this out I will turn the volume all the way down on the individual iPB10 patch itself and store it that way. Then without changing selection when I open Jamup Pro I believe I may have eliminated the dual tones being heard which was not so pleasing. The iPB10 patches are good, quite versatile and easily editable via ipad. But the 2 together was muddy and inferior. I suspect as Elantric has said that the Jamup app has very good tones and many additional features to offer. My thought was that It would have been nice to utilize it directly through the iPB10 since it is always recharging the ipad and it would eliminate having to do additional routing as my MAUDIO Fast Track 8R inputs are maxed out right now.

Rorster

I tested my hypothesis again and to my chagrin for what ever god forsaken reason I was unable to get Jamupro to output through the iPB10. I stand corrected to my earlier post. I apologize to the forum readers of this topic. The Jamup Pro will not work through the iPB10. This will not stop me from testing out the app using the suggested method by Elantric here on the forum. We'll stay posted.

gandolf

Hi Elantic,

thanks for sharing your recommendations about iOS audio interface...as usual, it looks comprehensive!

you mentioned having a focusrite Scarlett ....have you tried it as an interface instead of the Sonus dongel?

if it worked, would this give a better audio output, as not using the HPjack on ipod/pad?

i noticed too these units have midi in/out...so do you think it could act as an Audio i/o and a Midi i/o, just through the 30pin connector+CCK ? (mostly, i'm looking for a live solution....)

Cheers!

Elantric

Quoteyou mentioned having a focusrite Scarlett ....have you tried it as an interface instead of the Sonus dongel?

One issue with the Focusrite Scarlet 18i6 when used as an IOS Audio Interface is a complete lack of controlling and enabling the "Hi-Z Instrument" mode of the Dual XLR / TRS Input jacks. So it loads your guitar pickups down, and requires another external DI box.

Despite my early bad reports on Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL on my iMac, its a different story on iPad - works very well, except for the clunky work around to enable the Rear Output jacks.

Thursday a Behringer IS-202 arrives, I'll try to make a direct comparison between this and the Alesis IO Dock.
The IS-202 has great features, like being able to charge the iPad while performing, running on the IS202's internal AA batteries or the AC Adapter.
Two rear mounted 1/4" jacks support a Momentary footSwitch and and Expression pedal - assigned to MIDI CC#.
phono inputs for a turntable, Full 5pin MIDI I/O.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/iS202.aspx

mbenigni

Has anyone announced a product similar to the IODock/ is202 that's iPad4/ Lightning-compatible?  Or do you think everyone is feeling gun shy after developing niche interfaces only to have the old 30-pin standard pulled out from under them?

And on the topic of IODock/ is202: their specs generally indicate iPad and iPad2 compatibility.  Is it safe to assume they are also compatible with iPad3?

rolandvg99

Behringer IS202L is their lightning compatible device.

Both ioDock and the regular is202 supports the iPad 3 or the former "new" iPad.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

gandolf

hmmm...I was wondering about the 30 pin connector too :...Seems odd for a volume manufacturer to be producing old standard stuff???   And although there are reports of L version...no mention on their website ...... Strange, no???

PS thanks for the info elantic...look forward to your wise review on this product...!!

mbenigni