GR-55 MIDI RX Patch Change MAP?

Started by gumtown, March 09, 2011, 10:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

Except a problem with the GR-55 midi program table is, it is blank in 'program' mode, so each patch needs to be programmed.
very tedious job  :P
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Machh_2

tnx u for ur reply...

about the tedious job, i dont care, i dont have rush, im doing a patch each day, until finish...
i think is a "little price" to pay, for use 10 patches pedals agains only 3 from GR-55...
BTW... my FCB1010 lives in the original box about 10 years, without use even a only single day...at less, i found a job for FCB...

tnx again...

[]´s

Wilson

tekrytor

If I understand the manual correctly, in fixed mode, you can access GR-55 patches directly by BANK and PATCH number. But, if you want to remap am incoming CC,  for example BANK 1 - PATCH 1, to instead of open the patch at BANK 2 - PATCH 3, you would "remap it" using using the program mode. In which case it makes sense for this memory to be empty because Roland cannot know whet you want to point your map.

There's a Yahoo group for the FCB1010 that includes links to the nice patch editor for it. There is also a mod, a special "UNO" ROM (UNO = unofficial), that adds a lot of extra features, like sending SYSEX commands. If you have trouble finding the editor or mod info, let me know. I can track it down and add it here..
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

gumtown

With most Roland/Boss midi gear in the past, the programmable midi table is set the same as the fixed table.
But the GR-55's one is blank (as in each patch/bank is disabled by default), like they forgot to pre-program it.

Sometimes it may be easier to re-arrange the GR-55 patches with the librarian to suit the midi foot pedal.

And with the FCB1010, you will be able to make use of the two EXP pedals with GR-55 assigns.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Machh_2

tnx for reply mr.tekrytor...
im try the Yahoo group to learn more about FCB1010 .(in every place of the world no one can understand those stupid FCB manual, i try read in 3 languages differents and is aw full to use it, i see too many people claim about it...)
If i have difficults i let you know !

tnx so much..

[]'s

Machh_2

Quote from:  gumtown on February 24, 2012, 11:49:14 PM
And with the FCB1010, you will be able to make use of the two EXP pedals with GR-55 assigns.

in your opinion, have access to more than two expression pedals and assigns it a real advantage?
do you think is worth investing in these options?
My initial idea was to just use the pedals to access the patches ... but it really worth it I think about it ... :)

[] 's

Elantric

If you own the Behringer FCB-1010 MIDI Foot Controller be sure to read this thread.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=32.0

tekrytor

Agreed: Programmed = Fixed map would be a convenient factory preset.

If we could import/export patch parameters to excel, this would be easy to do in a spreadsheet. I forget the device now, but I have one MIDI editor that exported/imported parameters to Excel format; which I thought was useless until I wanted to set up some global parameters and not have to edit all 128 patches manually.

IMO, adding a volume pedal to the GR-55 would be simpler, free the EXP for other use, yield most of the benefits of the FCB1010. I think a cool mods for the GR-55 would be to add a jack to port the GK pot to an external EXP for a little programmability.

I've own ed and used an UNO equipped FCB1010 for years. It has pros and cons:

PROS
- It's very programmable, lots of control options
- It's cheap, big, and very sturdy
- It's mains powered, no wart
- The UNO ROM mod, essential IMO
- It's got a great editor
   (thanks Mike, FCB's gumtown)

CONS
- No text display, patch numbers only
- Manual programming is unintuitive
- It's really big and heavy
- It cannot be controlled via MIDI

If I could live without a display, and wanted to rack mount my GR to protect it, then the FCB1010 would be a good option. I would keep a Wiki on my Android phone or pad with text to describe the patches. It could work...but I think I'll be adding an EXP jack to my GR-55 instead. I like the all in one portable solution.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

shawnb

Quote from:  gumtown on February 24, 2012, 11:49:14 PM
Sometimes it may be easier to re-arrange the GR-55 patches with the librarian to suit the midi foot pedal.

+1
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Machh_2

Quote from:  shawnb on February 25, 2012, 11:27:51 AM
+1

im my opinion, the problem is not rearrange the patches, but have directly access at the patches, i think is better one click reach the patch insted clicking one by one until reach the target sound...

jonohot

I think you'll like this problem. Link a GR55 (slave, MIDI in) to an RC50 (master, MIDI out) - try to sync patches on RC50 to patches on GR55, so that, e.g. patch 1 on RC50 changes to USER 5 on GR55, patch 2 on RC50 changes to USER 7 etc. The RX PC Map is the problem. switch it to 'FIX', and the patches move sequentially, i.e. move up one patch on the RC50, the GR55 moves up one also, move one down etc etc. Useless. The 'PROG' option on the map select should mean that every time you move to patch 1 on the RC50, the GR55 changes to whatever patch you want it to change to. But it doesn't. At all. Actually I'd love the GR55 to be the master, and as I move around patches, the RC50 changes to a pre-ordained patch...you get the idea.

Any ideas? I'm on jonohot@hotmail.com if it's easier...Many thanks!

Jono W

gumtown

With the GR-55 RX midi map set to "programmable" it needs to recieive bank change, control change, patch change data in that sequence.
It won't work with just patch change (since the GR-55 has more than 128 patches).
The best option is to use the GR-55 librarian and re-oganise the GR-55 patches to the order you want to allign with the RC.
or.
Use the GR-55 as the master controller, which then it won't receive tempo sync from the RC unless you use a second midi cable.
Using the GR-55 as the patch change master, you will need to set the RC to change patches with either re-organised patches, or and RX midi Map (if it has one).

I must add that if the GR-55 is master, switch off the RC midi PC out or you will end up with an midi feedback loop of program changes.

Mrchevy

Hey all, I finally got the video made for this and thanks to everyone for your help and direction on this subject. Steve, I tried to upload the high def version but it was extremely distorted as far as the aspect ratio and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong so I gave up on it. The video quality is not the best but you should still be able to follow it while working with your own unit. I'm not sure were the best place to post this video is so I will let the ADMINS decide and move it to the best location. It's a little long but I tried to cover as much as possible and still be simple and thorough. Hope you all find it worthy of the VGuitar forum. Mark

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

imerkat

I wonder if you can program it in Gumtown's editor? I've never gotten this to work but you've inspired me to try again. A lot of my custom presets are renamed Fender Twin patches lol

Mrchevy

You can do GENERAL MIDI  and CC# settings/assigns with the editor but the PC RX settings for mapping have to be done in the unit itself.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

sloopdawg

Very Informative, very good vid, thanks for that.
These are what we need more of.

imerkat

So I dug into it last night. just an FYI our midi controller can differ in numbering PC messages. mine goes from 0-127 and Roland is 1-128.

Mrchevy

Yes, that is true. It just means that numerically, all the patches are out of sync by one number. I have an Alesis Quadraverb GT that I used a Digitech controller for patch changes (back in the day). All the patches were out of sync by 1 number.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

supernicd

Very well done, Mrchevy.  Thank you for taking the time to make and contribute this!
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

zaknbou

Hi,

I am buying a Rolls MP128 midi foot controller and it has a predefined program change that you can not amend it,
as bank one PC 1 til PC 10 , so i need to use my RX PC map to rearrange it,
but i don't seems to work  .., i don't know what i am doing wrong , it is working well when the RX PC map is set to fix....
the PC is changing the patch but when i put it "PRG" nothing happens ..Please advise ...

Elantric

zaknbou

Hi,

Thanks Elantric for the link ,
I don't seems to figure it out what i am doing wrong, i am doing the same things as the video ..i guess  ??? ..
anyway i captured a video ( low res sorry )  ::).. advise please

- setting the "MAP SELECT" to fix => changing PC works from FCB1010( or what ever source)
- setting the "Map select" to PRG => Program change  don't work

gumtown

In program mode, you need to send bank-change/control-change/patch-change data.
As there are 64 banks to choose/program, each with 128 patch slots = 8000+ places to put your patch data from the 500+ GR-55 Preset and User patches.
The GR-55 needs more than just a number from 1~128 from a regular midi patch change controller to differentiate the various banks.

zaknbou

Ah ok, in my case if i need to send it from the fcb1010 how can i do it,
And if not feasible what other pedal/application will it work with ?

Regards,