GR-55 Bug List for submission to Roland Corp.

Started by jcmidi, February 06, 2011, 07:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeVGuitar

Great thread! Nice to know about these problems before I may encounter them on my new GR-55 

LeeVGuitar

Quote from: jcmidi on February 06, 2011, 07:43:35 PM

Have owned GR500  GR300  GR700  GM70  GR30  GR33

Wow! You sure have owned a lot! I have my GR-30 as a backup to my new GR-55. Elantric said that certain members still prefer the GR-30 to the GR-55 in certain ways. I think he said for tracking reasons. I sure would like someone to elaborate upon that. I'll try doing a search to see if someone has already commented about this.

UPDATE:

I did an advanced search and found it difficult to know what link to click on to find my answer about why some people prefer the GR-30 to the GR-55

tekrytor

Perhaps it's the GR-30's arpegiator. The GR-55 does not have one.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

kenact

It's my understanding that the GR-30 arpeggiator is actually programmable, which makes it even more useful than the arpeggiator in the GR-33.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Elantric

QuoteIt's my understanding that the GR-30 arpeggiator is actually programmable, which makes it even more useful than the arpeggiator in the GR-33.

Be sure to get the GR-30 Editor

It needs Windows, and was written back in the Win98 era

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=25

When I show most GR-30 users those Control Edit screens above, most never knew the the GR-30 was capable of such things. Its the GR-30 Arpeggiator (MIDI  Clock sync-able) and separate string MIDI assignments with a good amount of MIDI controls per string that keeps the GR-30 in use even today  - Robert Fripp still uses it.  The GR-55's Guitar to MIDI Implementation pales by comparison.

But Roland is famous for having buried easter egg features - that only become enabled once you read the manual , and do a magic handshake or "press this button while powering on the unit"

This is why I was furious when Roland announced there would be no official GR-55 Editor

I told them without an editor, after an initial brief period of initial release sales, they would then decline and stagnate  as most GR-55 users would be lost and give up after 6 months and sell it on ebay.

In my mind, Roland owes Gumtown far more than a free GT-100 for his time creating and supporting the GR-55 Floorboard Editor.
Who on earth programs the GR-55 without Gumtown's Editor?

Might as well use a Dymo Labler to write your biography.

NoahB

there is a bug that causes the ctl pedal to intrermitantly do the opposite of some assignments or mix and max which assignments it will do at a given moment. i have had endless discussion to try and figure it out and have determined it is a bug not a conflict or error. thanks
Jeff beck strat, GandL custom classic semi-hollow bluesboy tele,  mesa roadster, sy300 thru pair of peavey 15d powered pa speakers, big pedal board full of stuff.

clinton beale

Here is a copy of recent bug i have found that i sent to Roland, they say they are working on it

Hi Oliver , i updated the unit to 1.50 as soon as it was available.

I had a look on the V forum last night and there are a couple of people who mention that polarities have some times reversed when they return to certain patches , it also seems that a couple of users say the patch does not sound the same ,like as if an asignment has changed

What is strange  is some patches do not alter the polarity of the affected patch when you return to it , but some do.

Its a difficult problem, its as if the assign hold in system even  when turned off is allowing some corruptable data to infiltrate the affected patch and in this particular ,case reversing the polarity of the assignment .

To get around the problem i go to a patch that i know doesnt affect the assignments , i then return to the affected patch and its back to normal , its only some patches that corrupt it .

If its a bug its a major one as it would explain some not so experienced users saying ' it doesnt sound right' when i come back to the patch .

The only other thing is that my unit may be  faulty , it has been returned once for a faulty edit switch a couple of weeks ago

Cheers Clinton

Danno

All -

Have any of  you seen a post regarding the 55 freezing?  Specifically, the unit is on, continues to output from whatever patch is loaded, but no longer responds to any of the buttons.  Can't turn the unit off - has to be unplugged.  When you plug back in, it may repeat, or, it may be Ok.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Danno

Elantric

I suggest  -
Save your patches and do a factory reset

Be sure you have updated the GR-55 firmware to latest version 1.50

Realize that the GR-55 is designed to enter a power save  "freeze" mode - but only if left on after 40 hours. Its part of the global "green" initiative laws in many countries.

best of luck

Elantric

phostenix

Quote from:  Elantric on October 19, 2011, 07:25:56 AM
When I set the GK Vol to be the tone volume in the main controllers page (not the assigns page), setting only the modeling volume to "on", and then turn the GK volume knob down, the model gets quieter. So far so good. But then, with the GK knob still down, if I push the EXP switch, the model volume pops back up to maximum, even while the GK knob is turned down.

This happens regardless whether the EXP or CTL or any assigns are programmed or enabled. Doesn't seem to matter what controller the EXP switch is set to either.

==
I think I've narrowed the scope of this bug.

The "tone volume" controller parameter allows you to set any of four sources to "on" or "off": PCM#1, PCM#1, model, or pickup.

If you set mutually exclusive sets of these sources to "on" and assign them to different controllers, they will still conflict. For example, if you set the GK volume to control the model tone volume (off, off, on, off), and you set the EXP to control the PCM#1 and PCM#2 tone volume (on, on, off, off), the model volume will still pop back up to full when you step on the EXPSW.

You'd think that setting a source to "off" for a controller assigned to the tone volume would cause that controller to ignore the source set to "off."

The work-around is to only use the "tone volume" target in one of the Pedal/controller parameters, and set up any others in the "assign" area, where there does not appear to be a conflict.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3057.msg24150#msg24150

This bug is becoming a real issue for me. I am going to have to try using an FC-200 with the GR-55 to do what I want to do.

Many of my patches have a modeled acoustic guitar sound with the volume control on the GK pickup setup to control the volume of the modeled acoustic guitar. Then, I have 1 or 2 PCM sounds with the expression pedal setup as the volume control for those. Then, I assign the expression switch to control the rotary speaker brake or an octave up switch, etc. If the acoustic guitar volume is down on the GK & I activate the expression switch, the acoustic guitar comes back on at full volume.

Andreja Stojic

Hello everyone,

recently a problem with grooves patches appeared in my GR 55... that sounds like in a file in attachment... With all grooves patches (in the recording the patch number 833 was used)... I just installed GR-55 System Update v1.50, but the problem is not solved. Does someone met those previously and what should be done to be corrected?

Best regards,
Andreja

Andreja Stojic

Hello everyone,

it's me again... I did the factory reset and now everything seams to be fine. But I'm still wondering what has caused the problem...

All the best,
Andreja

shawnb

The grooves patches, IIRC, need a tempo within a certain range & need an explicit tempo.  You can get similar oddities if you tell the GR55 to follow an external tempo, but don't supply said external tempo. 

One possible explanation.  I thought I'd broken my '55 when it happened to me...

Shawn
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Andreja Stojic

Thank you Shawn very much! Yes, that's it... I've been doing something with the sync with Cubase...as far as I remember... I was thinking about the service, too... :) Here how it sounds when everything is OK..

All the best and thank you,
Andreja

5strings

Sorry for coming in late on this, but it sure would be nice to be able assign a manual pitch bend range. Not every external gadget works at a range of 24.