Redundant Systems are Prudent, Right?

Started by giffenf, October 21, 2017, 09:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giffenf

Every once in a while I wonder how useful it would be to have a second GP-10, not mounted on a pedalboard, that I could use by itself for those times when a Pedaltrain 2 is too big for the stage.  I have a sit-in gig tonight and have been asked to use someone else's amp (because "the stage is a little tight") and I sorta doubt there'll be room for the board, and if I can avoid it, I'd like to not go without the 10, since the few songs I'll be playing cover a lot of ground, and the 10 can do it all.

So I took a look at the Used section on the GC web site and they had a GP10 in "Good" condition for $249.  And it was at my local store.  Meant to be, right?  So I went to check it out, and it's in better shape than mine, and the previous owner's patches were all still on it (they look "interesting"), so I went for it.  They threw in a new PSA 120 for free.  After backing up the previous owner's patches, I cloned my main GP10 over to it, and now I'm ready to go.  I also bought a low-budget Road Runner pedalboard/bag which looked small but once I put the 10, an FS-6, a power supply, and a couple extra little pedals on it, it's not much smaller than the Pedaltrain, so I'm not sure that was such a great idea, but at least it's lightweight so maybe I can use it tonight.

I used to keep a spare VG-99 in case of emergencies, but that proved a little extravagant.  A spare GP-10 seems at least somewhat more practical.

alexmcginness

Ive got back ups for my VG 99 and GP-10. I gig with the 99 and have been fortunate that the 1st one I bought in 2007 is still working. Its a bit worn and a coupe of the knobs are not functioning like new but it still does the job. I have 3 backups just in case it goes down. ( I dont carry the backups with me but if I need one I can get my wife to mail it to me ) Same with the GP 10. I have 2 of those. If youre a pro and these boxes are your bread and butter, back ups are a must, so no I dont think its a bad idea at all to have spares. I carry a new in the package GK-3 pickup and spare 13 pin cables when Im on the road just in case.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

thebrushwithin

My rack mounted VG 88 is used for guitar modeling for my Kemper, so, if the  Kemper ever went down all I would have to do would be to enable the amps on the VG 88 which I already have dialed in to taste, just turned off.