Katana - Get latest Firmware and latest Boss Tone Studio

Started by gumtown, October 02, 2017, 01:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Quote from: SeeMoore, post: 24999930, member: 9435The instructions say:
Please open/extract the downloaded "katana_sys_v201.zip" file on your computer to get the two update files named "ROMINFO.TXT" and "KATANARM.BIN" in the "katana_sys_v201" folder.

But when I try to extract the files nothing happens.
Do the files extract after being loaded into the Katana?
Your computer OS extracts the zip file FIRST

STEP #1 Highlight the downloaded file, and  Click "Extract All Files"

STEP #2 Click "Extract"

STEP #3 Locate the newly created folder and locate the two firmware update files

Stevie F

Quote from:  philjynx on October 03, 2017, 02:42:31 PM
Got home this evening with my new (mint condition second hand) 100 1x12. Firmware update to 2.01 and installation of Tone Studio 2 was a breeze. I've been wondering for a few years what my guitar should sound like. Now I know. Once I've built my new midi controller and got control over this brilliant amp I'll be blissed out.

If you don't have a Katana and are able to get one - go get it, you won't regret it.
I AM HAVING DIFFICULTY LOADING THE NEW TONE STUDIO I HAVE DOWNLOADED THE PROGRAM  OK, BUT I CANNOT LOCATE  "bts_katana_w200.zip WERE IS THIS PLEASE SO I CAN CONTINUE IT SAYS ITS A ARCHIVE FILE WERE DO I FIND THIS KIND REGARDS sTEVIE F

gumtown

Quote from: Stevie F on October 07, 2017, 01:10:35 AM
I AM HAVING DIFFICULTY LOADING THE NEW TONE STUDIO I HAVE DOWNLOADED THE PROGRAM  OK, BUT I CANNOT LOCATE  "bts_katana_w200.zip WERE IS THIS PLEASE SO I CAN CONTINUE IT SAYS ITS A ARCHIVE FILE WERE DO I FIND THIS KIND REGARDS sTEVIE F
The file is usually in your "Downloads" folder, but may be in the last place you saved a download to.

If you try the download again, and select "save as" and specify the folder the download saves to.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

tilenmars

Am I the only one who is having problems with the delay 2? It works sometimes but after I mess with some settings it stops working. I don't know why or when exactly. I tried with both, delay+reverb and only delay. I tried factory resetting and that didn't help either.

BenoA

Just did this for those still afraid of upgrading their Katana to v2???

Here is a step by step video on how to process with the firmware update of your Katana amp (all models except Mini).

It's easy! Do it now and get all the latest features.

Hope it can help a few.

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: Elantric on October 02, 2017, 12:33:55 PM
It means an external "Show Control" computer or external MIDI Foot controller can now directly access and control on/off state of many Katana built in FX in real time at the gig using MIDI CC# messages to control Katana FX Targets

Interesting. Roland/Boss are not known for generously providing  third-party access to their products. I wonder if they have a more powerful Katana foot controller under development?

admin

Quote from: jwhitcomb3 on October 10, 2017, 01:22:12 PM
Interesting. Roland/Boss are not known for generously providing  third-party access to their products. I wonder if they have a more powerful Katana foot controller under development?

doubtful - as there are already dozens of competing MIDI foot controllers
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12355.0

IMHO - Adding MIDI CC#  was more a response to the katana firmware wish list
Give me 8 CTL Assignment slots that can function like the 8 CTRLs in GP-10 for FX assignments with 8 MIDI CC# controllers or morph between 2 effects from one expression pedal
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20367.msg146811#msg146811

rolandvg99

The main difference with MIDI is the option to choose your own PC and CC numbers to the already predetermined assigns. Only one I couldn't use in V1 vas the B channel presets and the on amp "Exp pedal". The Roland FC 300 does most of what  the GA-FC does and then some, but then again it costs as much as, or more than, the Katana Head.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

admin

FWIW - you can revert back to FW 1.02
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21931.0
Why?

Full use of 6 FX at once in any FX order using older  version of Gumtowns Floorboard Editor

sikejsudjek

With the exception of the head the other katana's need a bridge to function with a midi controller. IMO there's still a huge potential market for Boss/Roland to put out a midi-katana midi controller that has its own built in bridge. I'd be surprised if they didn't look at this. I would like the opportunity to have one box with one lead that gives me more flexibility - I know other solutions exist, but more boxes, more leads and a bridge is a lot more to go wrong live !

admin

QuoteWith the exception of the head the other katana's need a bridge to function with a midi controller.

Or if you are comfortable with electronics,  perform the mod to add the missing MIDI Input jack to the Katana combos 

details here:

Add 5pin DIN MIDI Control to Katana Combo Amps.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19575.0

vtgearhead

Quote from: templo on October 05, 2017, 01:43:02 AM
Still disturb me that it's not possible to save boost effect separately (on panel settings).
Or do I miss something?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Isn't the boost selection and setting saved along with all other state?

rolandvg99

Quote from: snhirsch on October 11, 2017, 06:28:48 AM
I'm not sure I understand the question.  Isn't the boost selection and setting saved along with all other state?

Think he refers to the same problem I have. Can't set three different OD settings with tone, bottom , direct or level for the three slots. They share the same setting apart from the type.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: sikejsudjek on October 11, 2017, 02:50:13 AM
With the exception of the head the other katana's need a bridge to function with a midi controller. IMO there's still a huge potential market for Boss/Roland to put out a midi-katana midi controller that has its own built in bridge. I'd be surprised if they didn't look at this. I would like the opportunity to have one box with one lead that gives me more flexibility - I know other solutions exist, but more boxes, more leads and a bridge is a lot more to go wrong live !
This. While many in this forum are comfortable with MIDI, most guitarists are not. There are many on the Katana Facebook page who proudly announce their refusal to consider using the software editor. A one cable solution that provides at least the functionality of the GA-FC (sans shift-key) plus an expression pedal would seem a good fit.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: jwhitcomb3 on October 11, 2017, 08:13:32 AM
This. While many in this forum are comfortable with MIDI, most guitarists are not. There are many on the Katana Facebook page who proudly announce their refusal to consider using the software editor.

Fear of software editor?  I wonder how they manage to post on Facebook!  :P :P ::)
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

admin

Quote. There are many on the Katana Facebook page who proudly announce their refusal to consider using the software editor.

thats a bit like proudly buying a Corvette, but limiting yourself to sitting only in the driveway and only in the passenger seat

vtgearhead

Quote from: rolandvg99 on October 11, 2017, 07:04:47 AM

Think he refers to the same problem I have. Can't set three different OD settings with tone, bottom , direct or level for the three slots. They share the same setting apart from the type.

Ah, yes.  That's probably what he meant.  Everything but mod and efx shares knob settings.  I understand the design choice, but don't like it much.

treewiz

I was able to download the first firmware update but the new one 2.01 is coming up as BIN file which my computer won't recognize. How do I get around this dilemma?

treewiz

I have tried everything to update my Katana 100 112 to no avail. The first firmware update was a breeze this new one is just baffling!

gumtown

the file is downloaded as a *.zip file.

When extracted, there will be a folder created called katana_sys_201
inside that folder will be two files.
KATANARM.BIN
and
ROMINFO.TXT

When the Katana is placed into update mode, both the those files are copied and pasted into the Katana USB drive.
Then the USB cable disconnected and the update initiated, all as per the update instructions.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mercury1

I kept having problems with this also till I finally understood to drag the two files INSIDE the 201 folder into the updater and not the katana 201 itself, then the magic happens
Gr-55, Gr-33, Gr-1, Vg-88, Jamman looper, Brian More 88.13  ,/ 8.13 , Fender hm strat( gk-3 ), Hammer( int gk-2) , Behringer V-ampire Lx1200 / fcb1010

templo

Quote from: rolandvg99 on October 11, 2017, 07:04:47 AM

Exactly!

stevesilk51

Have Roland/Boss addressed the compatability issues with Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 with the new firmware/BTS?

Not upgraded to Creators yet, just curious.

Thanks

admin

Have Roland/Boss addressed the compatability issues with Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 with the new firmware/BTS?

Neither of those are impacted by Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 - However the Katana USB Driver will need to be re-installed .

treewiz