Pitchshifters - Mooer Tender Octaver Pro, POG2 (nano, mini, ...)

Started by reingarnichts, October 01, 2017, 03:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reingarnichts

Hi there,
I need a decent polyphonic pitch shifter for my non-GK-setup.
Actually in the long run I would like to ditch the 13-Pin alltogether since I'm also playing the chapman-stick in one of my bands and don't want to fit a GK-pickup, also I have trouble fitting one on my Telecaster (bridge too low, and I don't want to shim the neck yet).

The only thing GK-related I use is an octave up GR-300, an octave-up modeled guitar, and some organ-like +8/-8 or -8/+5-Sounds.
I don't really use alternate tunings or modelled guitars (I like my real guitar ;) ), so most of the hexaphonic advantages are wasted on me ( I love the GR300, though :/ ).

I tried the mono-input-pitch-shifter in the GP10 and at least for the organ-like-stuff it is semi-usable, but without dry signal the pitch shifter warbles a bit...

So I've been thinking:
Would a (Nano) Pog2 do the trick? What about the (much cheaper) tender octaver pro? Has anyone testet an EHX Epitome? (Seems to be quite interesting for the more soundscapy stuff).
Can anyone provide me with some nice Octave-Up sound bits? ;)

reingarnichts

Rhcole

I have owned almost all of them. Could you live with just 1 octave up? If so the Digitech Mosaic is the cleanest sounding. Of the EHX boxes the Pitchfork is much better than the Hog or Pog due to newer technology but it still glitches considerably on anything other than simple intervals.

Nobody makes really clean poly pitch shifts from a standard pickup yet.

Elantric

QuoteNobody makes really clean poly pitch shifts from a standard pickup yet.

The Digitech Drop
https://digitech.com/en/products/the-drop

or Digitech Whammy DT work too
https://digitech.com/en/products/whammy-dt

But hex PU based systems, like Antares ATG are cleaner.

True string pitch changing system, Tronical  / hand retuning - will be cleanest 

reingarnichts

So the main conclusion is: if I am used to play hexaphonic processors I will probably be dissapointed with mono-input-pitch-shifting?
There is always some warble in complex/dissonant chords :/
I don't know. Hopefully Boss/Roland builds a new GK-Processor (something like an upgraded GP10, I love that box).

I was planning to have a guitar built to my specifications next year and was hoping that the internal GK would be off the table till then...

reingarnichts

Ok, I had a nice gig with my free jazz/psych duo and an even nicer, inspiring rehearsal with said duo (+ a bassist) and used a lot of GR-Synth and Hex-Distortion sounds.
I almost forget the hex-distortion, although my hexaphonic "career" started there (I got an old GK2A for free and built a hexafuzz into a lunch box) - really usable sounds for dissonant chord work.
The GR300 also makes a great shabby organ in duett mode...

I also realised this week that everytime I hear that annoyingly coarse sawtooth of a GR300 on a record, I'm instantly sold. It really touches me, I don't know why.
(Maybe my parents listened once too often to Metheny when I was a child, it really does not belong in my generation ;) )

I might have a problem there ...  ;)

chrish

Yes I think Metheny and a few other Jazz guys gave us a good tonal melodic blueprint for using that synth trumpet sound.

Similar tonal blueprint of Connors, McLaughlin, Di Meola use of distortion during the jazz fusion era.

Kind of like George Harrison's use of real sitar that morphed into electric sitar for progressive rock bands and even Metheny.

And let's not forget  Di Meola's use of shredding solos on his Christmas Carol album " winter nights". Who says you can't Shred on 'silent night'. :)