Author Topic: Katana as a powered cab for VG99  (Read 245 times)

Offline Smash

Katana as a powered cab for VG99
« on: September 11, 2017, 01:51:40 AM »
I love what i can do with the VG99 and was about to pull the trigger on a pair of DXR10 Yamaha cabs but...

I'm now trying to keep an open mind about the whole setup - I want FRFR for synth but am now thinking about maybe a DBR10 for synth side and Katana straight into power amp for the VG99.

I lose stereo but gain the characteristics of the Katana power amp and guitar voiced speaker.

Thinking about stereo I could blend a part - maybe wet only - of one of the VG99 channels to the PA cab but I would have turned off the line out sim for the Katana so it would be fizz city. Can't remember whetehr the line out/combo/headphone mode of VG99 is global or whether it can be assigned to specific outputs - anyway it was just a thought. I suppose I could always use a cheap IR tool like Pangean.

*EDIT* Just answered my own question - sub out is unfiltered I think whereas main out has the combo options - at least that's what the manual seems to suggest?

Back to the question - would I gain any benefit from the Katana as a powered cab bearing in mind the power amp work Boss have done over, say, a Black Star ID which would keep my stereo as far as I can see.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:07:26 AM by Smash »

Offline arkieboy

Re: Katana as a powered cab for VG99
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 10:57:24 AM »

For FRFR to work it has to be =completely= FRFR with negligible contribution from the size of speakers and the crossover.  Unless you're on a proper professional budget, I think - practically - that means that your speakers need to be 1x12"+horn, because any problems with the crossover will have minimal effect on your tone and there will be no mid-range hole.  Certainly my (cheap as chips, admittedly) Studiospares 1x15"+horn powered speaker lacks something in the midrange, and I suspect that a single 10" speaker won't get the bass extension you will need to even approximate a 4x12 cab.

I could easily be persuaded.
https://www.facebook.com/stephen.john.harris
http://www.agnieszkaswita.com
www.arkmusic.co.uk

Brian Moore and Patrick Eggle controllers
Roland VG99/Axon AX100 MkII
Marshall JMP1
TC Electronic G Major
Marshall EL84/20-20
Marshall 1912 (x2)
Roland FC300/Behringer FCB2020

Offline Smash

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 03:21:54 AM »
I guess the idea was Katana for guitar VG stuff and DXR10 for the full range synth stuff - the Kemper guys seem to like the DXR10 - some even go with an 8" albeit QSC. I'm not wedded to stereo - it's nice but gets lost live so you can't go too extreme with FX.

I like the idea of making use of the magic Boss has added to the power amp side of the Katana to help the VG (guitar tones).

I did quite like the idea of using my PRS Floyd with the Katana but it doesn't do a decent Strat quack - had considered mounting a middle single coil - then there isn't patch type MIDI control for teh KATANA either although the GA FAC probably does enough and I know you can use the MIDX20 in conjunction with FC300 to control every sysex so far unlocked via CCs.

It's just the VG does so much! And if I'm brutally honest - it's so long since I used a guitar amp and used guitar volume pot etc that I'm kind of scared of it - sounds crazy doesn't it
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 03:51:43 AM by Smash »

Offline Smash

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 05:54:10 AM »
Bottled it - just bought pair of DXR10s   ::)

Blog