Katana - As a powered cab for DSP Amp Modeler / Kemper

Started by Smash, September 11, 2017, 12:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

I love what i can do with the VG99 and was about to pull the trigger on a pair of DXR10 Yamaha cabs but...

I'm now trying to keep an open mind about the whole setup - I want FRFR for synth but am now thinking about maybe a DBR10 for synth side and Katana straight into power amp for the VG99.

I lose stereo but gain the characteristics of the Katana power amp and guitar voiced speaker.

Thinking about stereo I could blend a part - maybe wet only - of one of the VG99 channels to the PA cab but I would have turned off the line out sim for the Katana so it would be fizz city. Can't remember whetehr the line out/combo/headphone mode of VG99 is global or whether it can be assigned to specific outputs - anyway it was just a thought. I suppose I could always use a cheap IR tool like Pangean.

*EDIT* Just answered my own question - sub out is unfiltered I think whereas main out has the combo options - at least that's what the manual seems to suggest?

Back to the question - would I gain any benefit from the Katana as a powered cab bearing in mind the power amp work Boss have done over, say, a Black Star ID which would keep my stereo as far as I can see.

arkieboy

For FRFR to work it has to be =completely= FRFR with negligible contribution from the size of speakers and the crossover.  Unless you're on a proper professional budget, I think - practically - that means that your speakers need to be 1x12"+horn, because any problems with the crossover will have minimal effect on your tone and there will be no mid-range hole.  Certainly my (cheap as chips, admittedly) Studiospares 1x15"+horn powered speaker lacks something in the midrange, and I suspect that a single 10" speaker won't get the bass extension you will need to even approximate a 4x12 cab.

I could easily be persuaded.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Smash

I guess the idea was Katana for guitar VG stuff and DXR10 for the full range synth stuff - the Kemper guys seem to like the DXR10 - some even go with an 8" albeit QSC. I'm not wedded to stereo - it's nice but gets lost live so you can't go too extreme with FX.

I like the idea of making use of the magic Boss has added to the power amp side of the Katana to help the VG (guitar tones).

I did quite like the idea of using my PRS Floyd with the Katana but it doesn't do a decent Strat quack - had considered mounting a middle single coil - then there isn't patch type MIDI control for teh KATANA either although the GA FAC probably does enough and I know you can use the MIDX20 in conjunction with FC300 to control every sysex so far unlocked via CCs.

It's just the VG does so much! And if I'm brutally honest - it's so long since I used a guitar amp and used guitar volume pot etc that I'm kind of scared of it - sounds crazy doesn't it

Smash

Bottled it - just bought pair of DXR10s   ::)

admin

Helix into a Katana Artist (anyone doing this?)

Spooky73 wrote>
QuoteI have my Helix going into the returns of 2 Katana 100 combo's (stereo). It definitely gives you that "amp in the room" thing and can sound totally killer, however, IMO it completely defeats the purpose of the Helix. Reason being that all the amps basically sound the same after you disable the Cab block and then put into one style of cab (Katana). I mean - sure, there are slight differences when I change patches but it just sounds like I tweaked the EQ on each patch - NOT a totally different amp/cab.

At that point - why not just use the Katana's and an HX Effects?!

This is also kind of the same reason I am not sure I fully understand the L6 Powercab lineup. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the idea of the "amp in the room" feel/sound - but unless I set the L6 Powercab to "Flat" - all my presets and amp choices will in theory just sound like the Katana in the sense that the cab doesn't change. I know the L6 PC has a few different Cab selections on the unit itself - but why?! I can't make it sound like a 4x10 bassman or a 4x12 greenback. Just a 1x12 with some different EQ's applied.

admin

Helix into a Katana Artist (anyone doing this?)

Quoteweshunter said: ↑
Same experience here. The onboard Katana sounds are way better (to me) than the Helix sounds through the Katana. And Helix into every other monitoring solution I've used (FRFR, studio monitors, IEM, power amp and cab, wedges from FOH) sounds way better.

I like the Katana, but for me it's a separate grab and go kinda thing  - separate from my Helix rig.

Blix wrote>
Yup, I agree with everything you said. :)

Elantric

I agree with the FRFR approach it will be best and the only way you can replicate your Cab IR files you paid for .

However if you are going to use katana amp as amplification system with any DSP modeler (Helix Kemper GT 1000) ive had better luck ( more headroom , less clipping) feeding DSP modeler output into

the Katana's rear 3.5mm AUX IN TRS input which bypasses all A/D and DSP as this is a straight analog signal  ingestion into the Katana power amp in the analog domain - avoids any clipping of any A/D converter and subsequent DSP processing .you will need a cable adapter

Hosa CMP-159 - 10', 3.5mm TRS to Dual 1/4" TS Cable

Second alternative is feed the katana effects Loop Return but use the. boss Tone Studio for Katana's final  output Parametric multiband EQ  to dial in an acceptable sound . prepare for lots of rabbit hole diving

if you feed that into a guitar speaker
Be prepared for an alien completely different sonic experience , compared to:

Helix > Headphones

or

Helix > USB Audio > DAW.

frankly just get a used Alto ts112 ts212 TS 312 Powered PA cab and call it a day
( they start at $180 if you  Google)