Author Topic: Boss V-BDN ( VG Strandberg) V-Guitar  (Read 778 times)

Offline ALOfYRSnfWhres

Re: Boss V-BDN ( VG Strandberg) V-Guitar
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2017, 12:25:05 PM »

Offline Elantric

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 12:48:01 PM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:50:20 PM by Elantric »

Online BigMapson

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2017, 04:45:13 PM »
I have deleted an earlier comment as I have decided to comply to the maxim: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."  I suspect I will be entering a long period of monastic silence in all matters Roland.

I actually quoted and was going to reply from your earlier comments, but I thought better of it myself.   :)

My thoughts are simply this:  If I'm going to spend $5500 USD for a guitar, it needs to be my dream guitar.  And that would include 13-pin out.  This guitar, with no ability to program or change what comes pre-programmed, isn't it for me.  Though I do look forward to continued innovation.

Offline mooncaine

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2017, 10:31:11 PM »
Would prefer to see more tunings, at least one customizable tuning.

To be of any use to me, must add open G and open D, minimum, in addition to most of the choices they have now.

Though why I'd go for a guitar that changes tunings digitally... and then put a capo on it, just to get open E.... Well, I'd have to wonder how hard could it have been to put a usb port on it and let me upload different tunings. Heck, a guitar tuning is, what, a 12-bit word at most?

It could probably be solved with a simple input control, one that looks like a combination lock for a suitcase, with six dials you can spin, and an octave up/down push button for each slider. Anyone could input a custom tuning and even see it there, without software, drivers, updates, troubleshooting.... Could put them on a control cavity cover or even on a key fob you can plug in.

Offline cags12

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2017, 03:07:51 AM »
The other feature that is lacking is the ability to externally control the features via a MIDI (ATG) or a proprietary foot controller (ala Line 6). Using this guitar live is definitely not optimum. They should have followed Antares's example on this by adding open standard MIDI control. It could have also been used for preset edition and software upgrade.

I hate to see that they are self-damaging by not thinking on user needs. Causing eve more discontent among potential users or companies (Strandberg) that opened up to add advanced technology.

Offline Elantric

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2017, 02:37:05 PM »

Offline GuitarBuilder

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2017, 03:01:19 PM »
The other feature that is lacking is the ability to externally control the features via a MIDI (ATG) or a proprietary foot controller (ala Line 6). Using this guitar live is definitely not optimum. They should have followed Antares's example on this by adding open standard MIDI control. It could have also been used for preset edition and software upgrade.

I hate to see that they are self-damaging by not thinking on user needs. Causing eve more discontent among potential users or companies (Strandberg) that opened up to add advanced technology.

Looks like my next ATG build should use a Strandberg body design!

Online whippinpost91850

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »
I was thinkin the same thing. Cool looking body

Offline Hurricane

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 04:37:57 PM »
Fugly

Offline vanceg

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2017, 07:48:30 PM »
Don't worry about the lack of 13 pin out.  Just buy a Strandberg guitar and put a GK-3 in it, run the signal to a GP-10 or VG-99 and you'll have a TON more functionality.  What's the obsession with having everything onboard?  Are we not carrying ANY other gear with us when we play? Is it really that horrible to have to carry around a GP-10 to get about 100x the number of tonal options that you would using the roland/boss electronics that are inside this instrument?

Note that I rather like Strandberg.  I'm a big supporter.  I have purchased and installed 6 of the Strandberg bridges and admire Ola for his design.  The body shape is not ideal for me personally, but I do know a good handful of players who really love it.  Aesthetically I think they are pretty tight (that is to say, they have a distinct look and do not appear to me to be hacked together from many different approaches... it's got a look.)

I just don't understand the attraction to onboard tone generating electronics.

Offline scratch17

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2017, 10:27:24 AM »
vanceg said:

I just don't understand the attraction to onboard tone generating electronics.

I agree. I want as much of unnecessary weight as I can get out of the guitar. So other than minimal
onboard tone generation (pickups, pots, etc.), I want only connections to external gear.

An electric guitar design should start with the best sound you can achieve. Much of the sound comes from
the wood you utilize. Add electronic goodies externally.
Gibson SG Standard
Hamer Duotone
B Moore i2.13
Taylor 710BCE

VG-99 FC-300
RMC Fanout
RJM Mmind GT10
Kemper PA
Mackie 1640
Line6 L2M
FTP

Mesa Recto Pre 20/20
Marshall DSL401C
Fender Bandmaster 68
Ampeg AX70

UA Apollo 8 Duo, Quad
MOTU Trav x2
Radial JDV X-AMP
Fish Aura
Weehbo Plexface
EHX Epitome

Offline Headless68

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
like the guitar but it is way over priced

std strandburg with a GK3 + VG99 for half the price .....& thats with a trem system & synth lynx jack ;-)

Blog