Started by whippinpost91850, August 31, 2017, 09:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whippinpost91850

I have an internal kit. Is it worth a $100 to get the PV AT200b breakout box

Elantric

I like it - but AT-200B runs more like $60 street

but they are going up in value now that they are discontinued
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=AT200BPower

http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/support/documentation-detail.php?help=Connecting_Your_Guitar_to_Your_Computer_With_an_AT-200B_Breakout_Box_48

Connecting Your ATG Equipped Guitar Using a Peavey AT-200B Breakout Box

Watch the AT-200B Connection Guide Video

This guide will take you step-by-step through the process of connecting your guitar via MIDI to your computer with a Peavey AT-200B breakout box for the purpose of transferring software to your guitar, whether an automatic update to your guitar's operating software, or an optional software feature pack.

If you don't own a Peavey AT-200B (and have no intention of buying one), you're in the wrong place. Instead, check out the MIDI Y-cable connection guide here.

To connect your guitar to your computer, your will need the following:

Before starting, here are some important notes:

• You must have created your account on the Auto-Tune for Guitar web site. If you have not yet done that, go do it now.

• Your computer must be running the Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8.  It can be either a Windows PC or a Macintosh running Windows via Bootcamp (learn more about Bootcamp here). Your browser must have Java 6.0 or later enabled. You can find a guide to installing and activating Java here.

• Note that you can use a computer other than your own to do the transfer, as the software will reside on the guitar you transfer it to. So if you don't have a computer running Windows, but you have a friend that does, simply connect your guitar to their computer, log into your account and transfer away.

• Many cheap MIDI interfaces will not work for this software transfer. You must use an interface whose manufacturer provides device-specific driver software which you must install on your computer. You can find a selection of interfaces we have tested and found to work here.

Ready? Here we go:

Step 1. Connect the 8-pin DIN cable that came with your AT-200B to the 8 pin DIN connector located next to the instrument jack on your guitar. Connect a 1/4 inch audio cable into the guitar's output jack.

Step 2. Connect the other end of the 8 pin cable to the port marked "To Guitar" on the Peavey AT-200B.

Step 3. Plug the AT-200B power supply into an AC outlet and plug its power connector into the AT-200B.

Step 4. Connect one end of a 5-pin MIDI cable to the IN port of the AT-200B and connect the other end of this cable into the OUT port of your MIDI interface.

Step 5. Connect one end of the other 5-MIDI  cable to the OUT port of the AT-200B and connect the other end of this cable into the IN port of your MIDI interface.

Note: If your MIDI interface has male connectors, you will not need the two MIDI cables, as you can plug your interface's connectors directly into the AT-200B.

Another Note: Don't worry, if you connect the wrong plugs to the wrong connectors, nothing bad will happen, it just won't work. In that case, simply reverse the plugs and try again.

Step 6. Finally, plug the USB cable into the MIDI interface, and connect the other end to your computer.

Now that everything's connected, you should test the connection between your guitar and your computer to confirm that everything's working. That test is covered in the AT-200B Connection Video Guide at the top of this page or in Using the ATG Software Download Manager.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from:  whippinpost91850 on August 31, 2017, 09:41:47 AM
I have an internal kit. Is it worth a $100 to get the PV AT200b breakout box

It depends - originally the concept was to route the audio through the 8-pin cable to the AT-200B; it has a 1/4" guitar out just for this purpose.  Unfortunately, any time a MIDI signal is present, the audio suffers from noise interference.  Antares was never able to solve the problem; as a result, the ATG Luthier Kit instructs the builder to leave that pin unconnected and to use the standard 1/4" guitar output instead.

The other potential advantage is to power the AT-200 via the AT-200B, thus saving some battery time.  A third is of course sending MIDI messages to and from the guitar.  However, because of the audio problem mentioned above, now you would have two cables hanging from the guitar!  Not the best for live performance, perhaps OK for studio.

The more desirable option is to use the Peavey splitter cable and either the QuiccoSound or Yamaha Bluetooth MIDI adapter, controlling the guitar via iPad with MIDI Designer Pro.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

admin

QuoteUnfortunately, any time a MIDI signal is present, the audio suffers from noise interference.  Antares was never able to solve the problem; as a result, the ATG Luthier Kit instructs the builder to leave that pin unconnected and to use the standard 1/4" guitar output instead.

The solution to the noise during MIDI traffic is a custom 8 pin DIN cable built with Mogami 4 pair cable with isolated shields

I used a Mogami 4 channel snake cable

Here are the AT200 / ATG Internal Luthier 8 pin DIN signals

ATG DIN 8 Pinout
-------------------
ATG DIN Pin1  = MIDI OUT+
ATG DIN Pin2  = GROUND
ATG DIN Pin3  = MIDI OUT-
ATG DIN Pin4  = MIDI IN+
ATG DIN Pin5  = MIDI IN-
ATG DIN Pin6  = Input for External Voltage (+9VDC)
ATG DIN Pin7  = Input for External Voltage Ground Reference
ATG DIN Pin8  = spare( not connected)

whippinpost91850

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: admsustainiac on August 31, 2017, 10:12:18 AM
The solution to the noise during MIDI traffic is a custom 8 pin DIN cable built with Mogami 4 pair cable with isolated shields

I used a Mogami 4 channel snake cable

I'm sure that helps quite a bit; the problem still remains because of the unshielded wiring between the 8-pin connector and the DSP board.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

cags12

This is a troubleshooting I performed on mine and reported on the ATG forum.

Well I have performed a few tests and I can conclude, the noise does not get introduced by any of the connections inside the guitar. It gets introduced mostly by the cable as GuitarBuilder implied but surprisingly (or not) partially by the AT-200B box itself.

My test consisted in:

1 - Sending MIDI signals from Controller to ATG via a Y cable and Audio via Guitar regular Jack = No ticking sound
2 - Sending MIDI signals from Controller to ATG via 8Pin cable - AT-200B and Audio via Guitar regular Jack = YES Ticking sound
3 - Sending MIDI signals from Controller to NOTHING via 8Pin cable - AT-200B and Audio out of AT-200B regular Jack = YES loudest ticking sound.
4 - Sending MIDI signals from Controller to NOTHING via AT-200B ONLY (no 8Pin cable connected) and Audio out of AT-200B regular Jack = YES quieter ticking sound.

Conclusion:
- Cable is the biggest contributor
- AT-200B still contributes partially
- Internal Guitar connection does NOT contribute to the noise.

Partial Solution:
- Build/Buy a better shielded cable
- Nothing to do on the AT-200B as far as I know. But probably build your own breakout box (should not be that hard).

whippinpost91850

admin

Quote- Cable is the biggest contributor

common knowledge among pro A/V installers

Never run instrument level audio in the same spiral  - non twisted pair multicore cable - else the EMI radiation from the MIDI pulse data traffic invades the Audio 

admin

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on August 31, 2017, 10:24:45 AM
Is there a schematic available

here is one - but ignore the iRig iphone MIDi adapter in the center

cags12

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on August 31, 2017, 10:24:45 AM
Is there a schematic available

Not that I am aware but surprisingly its circuit board is over complicated for what the box really does (see attached).

Compared to post above.
Quote from: admsustainiac on August 31, 2017, 10:27:21 AM
here is one - but ignore the iRig iphone MIDi adapter in the center

cags12

I think I will get a backup AT-200B while it is available. I have a few Kits and a Peavey AT-200.

admin

Quote from: cags12 on August 31, 2017, 10:39:10 AM
I think I will get an AT-200B backup while it is available. I have a few Kits and a Peavey AT-200.

Peavey AT200B Break out Box's were far more available 2 years ago - ( supply seems to have dried up)
https://picclick.com/?q=peavey+AT-200

QuoteThe more desirable option is to use the Peavey splitter cable and either the QuiccoSound or Yamaha Bluetooth MIDI adapter, controlling the guitar via iPad with MIDI Designer Pro.

Its been done here by Ed Clothier (Lectronx @ gmail )for Thomas Nordegg:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11231.msg127213#msg127213

cags12

Quote from: admsustainiac on August 31, 2017, 10:53:54 AM
Peavey AT200B Break out Box's were far more available 2 years ago - ( supply seems to have dried up)

In Europe (where I am) there is still some supply.

admin

whippinpost91850

CAGS12, Would love to see your picture ,but doesn't show on my computer

whippinpost91850

Thomann is the only place that I saw that says they still have some AT200b's in stock, But $100 with shipping to US

cags12

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on August 31, 2017, 12:07:13 PM
CAGS12, Would love to see your picture ,but doesn't show on my computer

Can other members see the picture? I will attach again here.

admin

Refresh the page

All pics show up here

mapletop

hi,looking to buy a peavey at200 with the extra sound pack loaded on  anybody?

admin