SY-300 - Terrific Poly Patch - 70's Strings

Started by Rhcole, March 15, 2017, 11:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

So, I have been programming for the GP-10, and I decided to make a tribute patch to the cheesy ARP/Solina String Ensemble from the mid-seventies.
Right after making it, the light bulb went on and I knew this would be an amazing patch for the SY. The reason is that the early seventies string keyboards didn't have a lot of pitch resources to work with, so they leaned heavily on detuning, chorus, and other tricks to fake strings. These keyboards had an unmistakable gurgling quality to every patch.
In a few years, they dropped these out as more oscillators and other features became available.

But these qualities are absolutely perfect for hiding the flaws of the SY-300. I couldn't wait to get time to try this out.

And it's great! I actually like it BETTER than what I made for the GP, because you don't have to worry about the Osc synth mis-tracking AND the churning chorus disguises pitch shift flaws really well. I think this is a patch that should be included from the factory with every SY-300.
Ctl 1 kicks in a phase shifter that takes it over the top.
Check it out.

chrish

Looking forward to downloading your new patches. You made a good point about the factory patch offerings on the sy-300.

there was a real lack of 'bread and butter' patches such as the ones that you have been producing.

compare that to my very old roland mks-50, which only had one dco, a sub osc and a noise source, to work with.

However the factory patches had many string, piano, sax, horn, brass, bell chime, organs, cheese organ, drum, bass, synth sweeps and rises, mariba, synth leads, pads  sound fx and more

the old sounds weren't great but add some fx and those patches were workable.

good to know that the sy can mimic classic cheese.;-)

btw, running the analog mks-50 into the sy300 oscs section gives the sy some fatness. The sy300 really shines with complex waves feed into it.

have you run the mel9 into your new string patches yet?

Rhcole